Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

1 splurge meal in LL /Jasper, the rest low-key. Where?

Old Jul 29th, 2003, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are spending 7 nights in the LL/Jasper area- 2 in LL, 4 in jasper and 1 in Calgary(at the airport). This is our Honeymoon so we want to spend at least 1 super nice meal in both LL and Jasper. From what I've read, it sounds like the Post Hotel and Edith Cavell at the Jasper Park Lodge are good upscale choices.

What about the low-key but yummy places to dine in the area? Where are the good, but not generic(aka McD's) places? We will eat anything but prefer vegies/fish when we are traveling. Thanks!
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 07:29 PM

Some suggestions:
Andy's Bistro - ambience a bit too dark, but food OK.
Fiddle River Seafood Restaurant - this one is not inexpensive, we have never been disappointed with the food (mostly seafood), it's on the second story and has a view onto the main street in Jasper (Connaught Drive), overlooks the train tracks and mountains to the southeast.
Truffles and Trout - great for coffee, muffins, pizza. We stop here almost every time we are in Jasper, even if we are just driving through to B.C.
Becker's Gourmet Restaurant - another of our favourite places to eat in Jasper, again it is not cheap, but not the most expensive restaurant either. Lovely view of the Athabasca River and Mount Kerkeslin. If you time it right you can watch the moon rise while you eat your tasty dinner!!
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 06:56 AM
ltt

we enjoyed our lunch at "the station" in lake louise.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 07:39 AM

OOPS!!
Forgot to metion that all the places in my earlier posting (07/20/2003, 11:29 pm) are in Jasper.

Laggans (spelling may not be correct) in Lake Louise Village has tasty lunches in a bakery/cafeteria type atmosphere.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 12:52 PM

the best poutine outside of quebec can be found at the jasper pizza place, as well as scrumptious pizza's and salads...nothing fancy, just casual place for beer, wings, whatever...
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 08:57 PM
jvc

I just returned from our honeymoon trip to the Rockies. We took the Rocky Mountaineer Railtours trip from Vancouver to Jasper, then onto Lake Louise and finally Banff.

Suggestion about the two upscale restaurants in Jasper: The require (or strongly suggest) jacket and tie. Something I didn't bring with me from home. As for Lake Lousie, we had a fabulous dinner at the Walliser Stube restaurant in the hotel. It's a fondue restaurant, our first experience with it. It was both fun, romantic, and memorable. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 02:29 PM

We will be at Bannff Springs Hotel, Palliser, and Jasper Park Lodge. Can we eat at some of the restaurants without beibg dreses up? We do not plan on bringing jacket, tie, fancy dress, etc.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 07:54 AM

We had a good meal, with some different foods, at La Fiesta, on Patricia St. in Jasper. They have mainly tapas, and they even had a "Tappy hour" where you could get 3 tapas for $18.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 07:43 PM

Agree La Fiesta was great. Had the 3 appetizer menu for $18 and the food was excellent and generous servings. Do not hesitate.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 05:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Stew: The Jasper pizza spot made a lifelong poutine lover out of my southern-born (USA) 14 yo son. I have to make it for his birthday dinners. It just isn't quite the same, though, as that Jasper poutine!
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 10:52 AM

I can't comment on the restaurants in Jasper but for a splurge in Lake Louise I would always go to the Post which you have mentionned. You won't go wrong here.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 11:15 AM

Hi Huny, You may well be off on your honeymoon by now, but if not:

In jasper, my husband and I liked Jasper Pizza - didn't try their poutine{rats!}, but their pizza was good.
Also, I had the yummiest waffle ever at a breakfast place {I think it was called "Mountain something"} on the main street; It was heaped with fresh fruit salad, with a drizzle of honey and lots of whipped cream.

In Lake Louise, the food at the hostel can't be beat for quality/portion/price. It's open to the public.