Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Restaurant suggestions near theListel Vancouver Hotel

Mar 24th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

We will be spending several days in Vancouver at The Listel Vancouver Hotel. Your suggestions for favorite dinner restaurants within walking distance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Mar 24th, 2005, 10:27 AM

Hapa Izakaya, just across the street and a block away for loungey Japanese tapas (izakaya) and a bustling, lively atmopshere.

Zin, across the street at the Pacific Palisades, for inventive Asian/Latin American/European gourmet fusion cuisine, or even for martinis in their lounge. Excellent unpretensious service.

The Crime Lab on the corner of W Pender and Bute, a few blocks away, for an excellent martini list and gourmet appetizers/meals.
Mar 25th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Carmanah. Your suggestions sound just like what we were looking for, great food, fun and not stuffy.
This will be our first trip to Vancouver, so your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Mar 25th, 2005, 01:25 PM

You're welcome!

I'll also mention that the Listel is located within walking distance to hundreds of restaurants, so you'll really have a lot of choice. Friends of mine used to live a block away from the Listel, so we were always walking to restaurants within that particular part of the city. The ones I listed below are some of my favourites, and restaurants which normally have good feedback from others as well.

Another restaurant which is about a 10 minute walk away is Parkside. Their menu changes daily. It's a la carte... for a set price ($40 per person? $45?) you can choose one starter, one main entree and a dessert. The drink list is excellent as well. This is one of my favourite restaurants as well, for gourmet and excellent, unpretensious service. Their website is www.parksiderestaurant.ca

Zin's restaurant is www.zin-restaurant.com

Hapa Izakaya and the Crime Lab don't have websites.

Another idea that just popped into my head is Hon's on Robson. Hon's is right across the street from the Listel. Go there if you have a craving for a super casual Chinese lunch in a crazy atmosphere. The place has two open kitchens and it's always packed. It has about the same ambience as a mall food court, but the food is some of the tastiest for cheap, casual Chinese... (and no, we're not talking about mall Chinese food either!) Their website is http://www.shinnova.com/hons_on_robson/.

Wherever you end up, I'm sure you'll have a great experience!
Mar 26th, 2005, 11:17 AM

As per Hapa Izakaya style food

http://www.kitanoya.ca/Guu_for_user/index.html

has a much better reputation for service, style and value.
Noisy as hell though and packed
1695 Robson St.
Mar 28th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you again Carmanah. Your suggestions are terrific.
Have you tried Cin Cin? We have good friends that visited Vancouver two year ago and raved about this restaurant.
Will I need to make a dinner reservation for Zin? Their menu looks wonderful.
Again, thank you!
Mar 29th, 2005, 09:53 AM

I stayed at the Listel 2 years ago when they had this awesome bed,breakfast and books promo. You will LOVE it. Do eat at O'Doules for breakfast. The eggs benedict were really yummy! ... Also, don't forget to take advantage of the jacuzzi in the exercise room. You can watch tv while you relax in there! It is so nice.

Oh, and I have to tell you, you are just a few minutes down the street of an AWESOME gelato place. (Mundo Gelato on Robson) it is so good! You will want to get some every night.

Mar 29th, 2005, 09:58 AM

Almost forgot ... Whenever I hear someone will be in Vancouver, I feel it is my duty to recommend the Maple Delights Bistro & Shop!!! I became so addicted to that place. The curry maple chicken salad was too die for! You HAVE TO go there at least once.

Canadian Maple Delights
769 Hornby Street
Vancouver (BC) Canada
V6Z 1S2

Tel.: 604-682-6175
Fax: 604-682-6245

The bistro & shoppe is located across from the Vancouver Art Gallery, next to the Vancouver Hotel

http://mapledelights.com//content/en...spx?BistroID=3
Apr 4th, 2005, 01:06 PM

Chico,

Surprisingly, I've never had dinner at Cin Cin, but have been meaning to. Cin Cin was my cousin's favourite restaurant for years... she works in the local fine dining industry. My parents went there not too long ago and loved it. I've never really heard anything bad about the place, so I wouldn't hesitate to eat there.

As for Zin - I would make a reservation to be safe. Try to request a booth, if that's possible. I went there to celebrate my sister's birthday back in February. We had made reservations, however, because it was the day after Valentine's Day, we were essentially the only people there dining after 8pm.
Zin is literally across the street from the Listel, so you should have no problem dropping by in the day to see how busy they would be later that night.