Rental Car Advice in Victoria, BC

Apr 6th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Rental Car Advice in Victoria, BC

Two of us plan to rent a car in downtown Victoria & drive up to Chemainus & Goldstream Park the end of May. We may include a winery on the way up or back, but it's just a day trip, as we have other plans in the area for the rest of the week that won't require a rental car.

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions as to the type of car & the rental agent to use?
Basically, I'm thinking a compact or midsize ( I know of no reason to go larger) & will just be checking rates at each of the sites that show up on google or through Sam's Club.

When we went to Hawaii the first time, there was a car rental search engine that a fodorite recommended that I used to compare the various rental agencies. I wonder if anyone here might know of one for Victoria, BC?

I would be grateful for any helpful advice.
Apr 6th, 2009, 06:49 PM

If your hotel is downtown / inner harbour, the easiest location is Budget at 724 Government. The others you would probably want a taxi to at ~10 each way, so factor that in. All expedia like websites should work for searching. Looking at May 20th I get $51 for a Malibu 9:00 to 9:00. Looking at tomorrow is double, so that is key.
Enjoy your visit.
Apr 6th, 2009, 10:43 PM

Did Budget move? The office was on Douglas St across from the Empress and the bus depot??

I always get rental cars on Pricline as long as you sure of the dates. Check the prices and bid considerably lower. I have actually just bid and got a car off priceline (not in Victoria though - live there) but the going rate for the car I wanted was $25/day and I got it for $17. Have a good visit - and our good weather has finally arrived so the end of May should be beautiful.
Apr 6th, 2009, 11:34 PM

You are right traveller69. The location is out back on Douglas, not out front on Government.
Apr 7th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Well, you did confirm what I'd already found about the advantage of Budget's location (I just wasn't certain that it was the only close one).
We're staying at the Royal Scot, so that location looks great!

I'm very unfamiliar with Priceline. Wouldn't there be a chance that I might end up with another Budget location if I bid or will it specify the Inner Harbor location? I'm sure of the date - only one day.

Also, I had tried Expedia before I started this thread, but for some reason the results said no rentals available (at each location) - I'm thinking maybe they close earlier than the 7PM drop off I'd requested, so will recheck that.

Do you have recs as to a timeline that day in order to maximize the day & get back in time - maybe 5 or 6? Should I expect this to take 'all day'?

I appreciate the input!
Apr 7th, 2009, 06:38 PM

Very helpful information. Thanks.
Apr 7th, 2009, 09:41 PM

olesouthernbelle
Were you trying for a pickup before 9:00 AM. From the Budgets site, that appears to be their opening time. I origonally tried for 8:00 but had no luck.

I'm no help with priceline.

Since a six hour rental is no cheaper than a 12 hour, allow yourself the breathing room. You might get sidetracked.
Apr 8th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

I think I'd put in 7PM to 7PM (I thought that was the way it was billed for one day). So, it probably was the hours not being their hours of operation. I think I'd like to pick it up the day before so that we can leave at will the following morning & not be 'tied up' in line, etc.
Apr 10th, 2009, 03:04 PM

Did you try checking directly on the Budget website? Sometimes they have the least expensive rates. As an aside, I rented a brand new VW Rabbit out of Nanaimo for $35 per day. I'm guessing the rates would be comparable to the Victoria. Although, end of May is the start of cruise ship season, so rates could be a bit higher.
Apr 10th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

I'm booked through the Budget site with ET book coupons for one day (49.61CN)
Thank you to all!

Search this Thread