Recommendations for accommodations & restaurants in Newfoundland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have finalized our itinerary for our vaction this July and August and are now looking for recommendations on accommodations. We may be up to 6 people travellers so we are thinking of renting cottages, apts or cabins...... this would give us a common living area to hang out in. We will be renting for 3-5 nights in the following areas:

Anse aux Meadows / St. Anthony's area
Trinity area
St John's - would like something in town so we can get around on foot
Cape St. Mary's area near the ecological reserve

We are also looking for 1 night stopover accommodations in Deer Lake, Rocky Harbour, Badger and Springdale... not sure exactly where we wil be stopping yet but want to be prepared.

We will be preparing some of our own meals but will also be going to restaurants for the local cuisine.... appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks for taking the time to helping me make this a dream vacation.....Blanche
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 09:32 AM

This thread had some good ideas for the Northern Peninsula:
http://www.fodors.com/community/cana...g-and-food.cfm
There's not much (major understatement) in Badger. I think there's one little mom 'n pop motel. It's only 15 minutes from Grand Falls-Windsor, which has several motels and a hotel.
I'm not useful on motels, because I live in central NL, and have family on the west coast. Tripadvisor's reviews are fairly helpful, as long as you remember to include "Canada" in the search, and not wander through the listings for Newfoundland, Pennsylvania. Don't search for individual NL towns other than St. John's--some entries include a motel in Springdale under "Gander", so it's more useful to spread a wide net.
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 01:28 PM

Theck out The Roses B&B in St. John's. Patrick, the owner, also has houses he rents for families. I know of a family that was very happy in one of his houses.
The location is downtown and perfect for walking around.
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 06:24 PM

In the Cape St. Mary's area I suggest the Bird Island Resort in St. Bride's. It is not actually a 'resort' but has motel-type rooms, and a series of units with small kitchens. A couple of them , if I recall, have two bedrooms , so you might choose two units adjoining each other for your group. The place is owned by the Manning family who are well known on The Cape Shore, including a Canadian senator.
Another thought. This area has produced some fine singers and musicians. They generally have live music on weekends during the summer at the Cape St. Mary's interpretive centre.A lovely place for a concert.
Cheers- Jerry
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

NfldBeothuk We have been able to reserve Cape Burnt cabins near Anse aux Meadows - as per the reviews they are wonderful and go fast so I am delighted.

Kodi.. house would be perfect - will give owner a call.

Jerry... we are there mid-week so will miss the music unfortunately though we are taking in the folk festival in St. John's.

The Trinity area seems big enough .. any suggestions on narrowing down where I look? Ideally we would like a cottage in a small coastal village to get feel of the place ... be able to get around a bit on foot, local pub, restaurant ...

Really appreciate your advice
Blanche
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 08:39 AM

Here are some thoughts on your itinerary and accommodation.

For the l'Anse aux Meadows area, while Burnt Cape Ecological Reserve is certainly worth a visit, I'm not sure that Raleigh where the Burnt Cape Cabins are located would be my first choice to stay. (I'm not sure where you saw the reviews, but on the Fodors boards, they all seem to be from the same person). My choice, which I've mentioned on other threads, would be the Tickle Inn at Cape Onion where we've stayed several times, most lately last July. It's in a beautiful cove and the hosts are wonderfully welcoming. The only problem might be that you are 6, and it only has 4 bedrooms which are often booked a year in advance. If you are looking for cabins,however, I might be inclined to look closer to St. Anthony or l'Anse aux Meadows itself. For dining in that area, we've enjoyed the Lighthouse in St. Anthony and the Norseman in l'Anse aux Meadows.

We have stayed twice in the Trinity area, the first time at the Village Inn which I cannot recommend, and most recently at the Fisher's Loft at nearby Port Rexton. The Fisher's Loft, while not inexpensive, is one of the finest inns we have stayed at anywhere. Its restaurant is outstanding, and the inn is located on a hill overlooking a beautiful bay and is at the beginning of the Skerwink trail, a spectacular walking trail.

While in the Trinity area, I would recommend the Trinity Pageant and perhaps a play at the Rising Tide theatre (the company performs the Pageant twice a week). I would not miss a boat trip with Bruce Miller of Rugged Beauty tours who operates out of New Bonaventure, just south of Trinity. You will learn much about the old way of life in the outports while taking in some spectacular scenery. New Bonaventure is also the site of the fascinating film set of Random Passages, the mini-series on 19th century Newfoundland. (You should try to get hold of it to watch before you visit).

In Bonavista, the reproduction of Cabot's ship the Matthew is worth seeing, as is the Ryan Premises, a National Historic Site, and the famous lighthouse.

As for your overnight stops, while I understand that you want to stop in Deer Lake prior to camping in Gros Morne, I would either press on from Port aux Basques to Rocky Harbour or stop in Corner Brook. I can't say that Deer Lake has anything to recommend it, even for an overnight stop. I'm also not sure why you might want to stop in Badger or Springdale.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

laverendrye ... I had not noticed that the Burnt Cape had not been recommended by a wide group of travellers. Thanks for the heads up .. I will take a look at other places in the area as well including Tickle Inn.

Thanks for the info on the Trinity area.... just the types of things we were hoping to do. You have piqued my curiosity about Fisher's Loft though it sounds pricey.....

We were thinking of an overnight stopover between Anse aux Meadows and Trinity as it looks too far to drive the wholoe distacne in one day ... and noticed Deer Lake, Springdale and Badger are en route... no other reason. Just need a clean bed not far off the main road....
cheers
Blanche
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 08:16 AM

Another vote for Fisher's Loft. It was wonderful!!
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 04:50 AM

Actually, there are great accommodations in both Springdale and near Badger. In Springdale, check out Riverwood Inn. Nearby in King's Point, there is a new Humpback Whale Pavilion opening this summer with a skeleton of a humpback whale on display.

About 18 km outside Grand Falls-Windsor is Rafting Newfoundland and Riverfront Chalets right on the edge of the Exploits River. If you have the time, the rafting trip is wonderful.

Janice Goudie
Adventure Central Newfoundland
Old May 1st, 2010, 11:37 AM

Sorry, but I would recommend re-assessing your schedule a little. Allocating 3-5 nights in the St. Anthony region, but only a 1-night stopover in the Gros Morne area, is not optimal time allocation, IMO. Nothing against the merits of the Northern Peninsula, but you will likely end up regretting not spending more than a day in Gros Morne..it is truly spectacular.