Fog on Avalon Peninsula

Search

Fog on Avalon Peninsula

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog on Avalon Peninsula

We will be driving the Avalon Peninsula in early September. How is driving weather at this time? Will fog be a problem? Is this a good time to visit? Thanks for help.
Charlene
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 03:44 PM

We visited the Avalon Peninsula last September and had great weather. I don't know if it was typical or whether we were just very lucky. The sun shone brightly every day. We hiked every day on the East Coast trail .....ooops, we did have one day of rain... but no fog.
Good luck.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 10:57 AM

Fog is a possibility on the Avalon at any time. That said, however, chances are better for clear weather in Sept than in June or early July.

Sept is a good time to visit the Avalon, however chances of seeing icebergs are pretty much 'zero' ,chances of seeing whales are fairly slim and most of the big concentrations of nesting seabirds will have dispersed out to sea.

The scenery is still there , however, and the gannets will still be at Cape St. Mary's. Caribou should still be around Trepassey / Peter's River area.

Let me know if you have questions about things to do - I should be able to help a bit.

Jerry

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks much. We have seen whales and icebergs but want to experience the peninsula and perhaps see caribou. We only have a couple days....fast trip up from Halifax. It's the only time we will ever be able to make this side trip.
Charlene
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 02:14 PM

Charlene71,

For a 'quick tour' of the Avalon I suggest:

Cape Spear [just south of St. John's]
Then take the road through Petty Harbour and back out to route 10 southbound.
South on rte 10 through some pretty boreal / coastal scenery [watch for minke whales and maybe a late humpback feeding close to shore.]
Anywhere south of about Chance Cove watch out for caribou which you might see anywhere from here to Peter's River.

If it is not too foggy take the road from Portugal Cove South out to Cape Race. The interpretive center might be closed in Sept. - I'm not sure but you do get some great coastal views. This can be a good spot for caribou.

The Trepassey Motel is a friendly place to spend the night or enjoy a meal.

Take the road south toward St. Shott's then the track road southeast toward Cape Pine. In July and early August this is a prime location for caribou and they should not have started to move out in great numbers yet. [They winter in the central part of the peninsula away from the highway].

The Cape Pine road is also my favourite place to check out the 'barrens' - the virtually treeless landscape in this area. It is actually hyper-oceanic barren caused by the effects of the cold ocean, wind and fog. All of the plants are dwarfed and you will see plenty of the insect eating Pitcher Plant, Nfld's official flower. Some of the plants here normally occur many hundreds of miles to the north. September is also a good time to see a variety of interesting birds in this area.
You could then go over toward St. Vincent's [again prime caribou habitat]and loop north to St. John's. 'The Wild's ' golf course you will pass has a good restaurant.

The other place you should visit if you possibly can is Cape St. Mary's. It is only about 2 or 2 1/2 hours from St. John's [ or can easily be part of a loop with the areas noted above].

Most of the other seabirds will be gone but the spectacular gannets will still be there.....and the beautiful cliffs. You will remember your walk out to bird rock for a very long time. It is a place of 'awesome' beauty - and has a great visitor centre. Ask them for Joy Norman's recording of "Let Me Fish Off Cape St. Mary's"

cheers

Jerry

Old Jun 17th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

What great info!!! You should write a travel guide. (Yours is a lot better than what I've been reading)
C
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 12:38 PM

Charlene71,

Thanks,

I'm blushing!
Actually Newfoundland is a place that is dear to my heart in many ways and I do take great pleasure in passing on a bit of information to others.

I've had the pleasure of co-leading 2 nature tours out there fairly recently plus visiting several times with friends and family and everyone has loved the place.

My personal passions are birds and wildlife, the ocean, and traditional / celtic music so Nfld is just about the perfect place in my opinion.

Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Jerry
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 05:20 PM

Yes Charlene, I agree, Jerry's notes are wonderful and sound like a great trip. depending on your time , the only thing I would possibly do different, is that I'm not sure I would drive all the way out to Cape Race, especially if the centre is closed. We drove out and it is the most remote drive I've ever taken and the road is not very good.
But if you have the time, it's worth the drive ...but only once!!
I much prefer the road to Cape Pine and saw lots of caribou out that way.Have fun. Also, if you have time, try to hike some of the EAst Coast Trail. Really great hiking!!
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 07:23 AM

Jerry - You make my heart race. I can't wait to get back there. You have recited almost step for step what we are planning. I would like to add that the drive out to Cape Race is absolutely beautiful with many places to stop with a picnic lunch. On the way to Cape Race is Mistaken Point. A 45 minute walk take you to some paleo-something or other fossil beds which are truly amazing. If you stop in town someone can tell you how to find them.

Have a great trip!