Search

Family trip to NFLD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family trip to NFLD

Hi comunity,

I'm planning a trip in Newfoundland with my wife and daughter (5 years old). I'm looking for inetersting destination (culture, historic and sort of sceenic) in the Avalon area and in the east area. We are planning to stay for 7 to 9 days and are looking for a central place to stay so we could pass all of our stay in the same hotel.

I've been offered a itinerary that sort of goes like this.

Day 1 - arrive at St-John's Stay at St-John's
Day 2 - Go to Placentia
Day 3 - Bonavista and Eliston
Day 4 - Go to Fortune take the ferry to Saint-Pierre Stay at St-Pierre
Day 5 - Argentia
Day 6 - Back to St-John's

Seems like a lot of driving and not sure that we will find activities that my 5 years old (who loves historics) will love.

Am I missing any must see ? Is there a way that I can stay in the same hotel for all the stay ?

Need your help.

Thanks
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 02:53 PM

In St Johns I would suggest a visit to The Rooms.
http://www.therooms.ca/
A great introduction to the history of Newfoundland. The restaurant there has the very best view of the harbour.

Of course you should go to Cape Spear. You can do a nice hike from here on the East Coast Trail
http://eastcoasttrail.ca/

The root cellars and potentially puffins at Elliston are interesting
http://www.rootcellars.com/
and will give you some time to stretch your legs and get out of the car. Lots of wandering!
We loved Bonavista too.
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 02:55 PM

You would not be able to stay in the same hotel for the stay or would have to backtrack every night.
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I'll make sure to put those on my list of must see.
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 03:37 PM

Is St. Pierre a crucial part of this trip? It'll be about a 5-hour drive from Bonavista to Fortune, then an hour on the ferry, on Day 4. Then the next day you'll take the ferry again and drive at least 3 hours to Argentia. (btw, why ARgentia?) St. Pierre is an interesting anomoly, but you will only have an chance to whip around the town.
I would make a two-point stay: St. John's (with the Rooms and Cape Spear, as irecommend says), Signal Hill, maybe the Fluvarium if your daughter would like being under a river,and a downtown walk. For alternatives, you could look at Newman's wine vaults, the Basilica, or Quidi Vidi. Then I'd do day trips to Bay Bulls on the Southern Shore for a whale/puffin (I don't know what month you're planning on) boat trip, and include the archaeology dig in Ferryland. Another day could include the remains of the French fort at Castle Hill in Placentia, and the birds at Cape St. Mary's.
Then after 4-5 nights I'd leave the Avalon for the Bonavista Peninsula. Bonavista has a couple of small museums, a lighthouse with a great view, the Dungeons Park (sea caves). Nearby Trinity has a lot of restored historic houses and churches, plus the outdoor Trinity Pageant is a "walkthrough" play about Newfoundland history that has enough movement to appeal to a 5--year-old.
Old Dec 12th, 2011, 03:18 AM

I agree with Bay Bulls as an excellent spot for whale and puffin watching, if you are there at the right time of the year. Ferryland is also most interesting, and not too large a site so manageable for a five year old. There is a lighthouse high on a cliff nearby where you can have lunch served picnic style as you sit on the grass overlooking the bay. Quite charming. In general, I think you will find Newfoundland and the locals sufficiently entertaining that you won't have trouble enjoying your visit,and no need to pack your agenda.
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 07:25 AM

When do you plan on visiting NL? That makes a big difference in what I might suggest you do.
Old Dec 14th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your answers.

We should visit NL by the end of july or the beginnig of august.