Search

Reasonable Vancouver Hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2005, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reasonable Vancouver Hotels?

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone who answered my question about choosing a hotel near Langley.

My husband and I are taking everyone's advice. We need to find a hotel in Vancouver that is reasonably priced ($100-$150 US) and close to transportation, sites, etc. We would be going August 11-August 17.

Any help would be appreciated again!

Thanks!
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 09:54 PM

Hello MrsAbel,

I'm not much use when it comes to Vancouver hotels. When we go out there we usually stay with friends.

When it comes to the price range you've specified, I've seen favourable reviews of the Sylvia Hotel. It's in the West End, close to English Bay and Stanley Park. The West End is a sort of extension of downtown. It's a district in which there are apartment buildings, restaurants, etc.

I don't know how much walking you like to do, but Vancouver's downtown core is pretty compact. I've walked from the West End to the heart of downtown and back again, and thought nothing of it.

It's nice to be close to Stanley Park. You'd also be in easy distance of the little ferry that does the brief crossing of False Creek to Granville Island Market.

If you prefer not to walk, Vancouver has an excellent public transportation system.

Another option to consider is bidding for a hotel room on Priceline. Some travellers have reported getting amazing deals.

If you want to find out what to see and do in Vancouver, I suppose you'll have the advice of the people whose wedding you'll be attending (I got that piece of news from your other thread).

In addition to that, I can recommend the itinerary that is suggested in the Destinations section of the Fodor's web site.

Another excellent web site on Vancouver is Find Family Fun. You can look up activities by location and by price range. Because of Vancouver's geography, it's a good idea to group activities according to location, e.g., do things in the downtown area on one day, do things on the North Shore another day, etc.

http://www.findfamilyfun.com/

The Walk Vancouver web site gives you a good idea of what you can accomplish on foot.

http://www.walkvancouver.com/

Going back to your original question about hotels ...... If nothing else, this message will send your thread back to the top of the list, where it'll be easier for Vancouver-savvy posters to see it.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 05:47 AM
BAK

Be careful of low priced hotels in Vancouver. It's a port city, and the very low priced places are real dumps.

I'd start with some Expedia and Priceline Scouting. Depending on the dates, you might find some bargains.

When I travcel I find Best WEstern to be a safe bet; lower end properties but chain-wide standards seem to be maintained.

Be cautious of DAys Inn. In Toronto, there are two I'd never send anyone to, and two that are fine. Too wide a range of variables for confidence unless you know the specific property.

BAK
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 07:05 PM

Here's one that fits within your range, the Holiday Inn Vancouver Downtown Tower & Suites:

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hd/yvrdt?irs=y

We've used it several times and while it is not a luxury hotel, it's certainly decent enough and we found it to be a good value with a convenient location.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 04:05 AM

Last month, I got a room at the Westin Bayshore Resort and Marina on priceline for 60.00/night. I will be in Vancouver in March and was surprised that I was able to get a room this early....period.

Hi Jim!
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 08:49 AM

We stayed at Bosman. Very good location. ~ 100 Canadian $.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 09:32 AM
ltt

we stayed at a sandman by the football stadium. might be the one on west georgia. good location. restaurant/pub in the hotel. walking distance to the boats to granville island and also plenty of public transit in the area.
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 04:45 AM

I'll second Flyboy's recommendation regarding the Holiday Inn Downtown Tower & Suites. Located about four blocks from Canada Place and a main drop-off site for the Vancouver to Seattle Quick Coach line, it's location is ideal for cruisers leaving from one port city and returning to the other. This facility also has reasonable long term rates in its underground parking garage.
Old Dec 25th, 2005, 02:33 PM

Try some of the bed and breakfasts - we stayed out at Richmond and down near Stevensons Wharf. Very safe and some beautful hosts - separate accom so not having to share too much.

Enjoy your trip
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 07:38 AM

I would also endorse the Sylvia. I love the location right on English Bay. A bit run down but charming and good value.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 04:19 PM

Hi Mrs Abel,

The fact that you KNOW your dates so far in advance, and the fact that you have a nice-sized budget for a room in (downtown) Vancouver, causes me to endorse Priceline.com as an ideal match for you.

This isn't as if you're going to, say, watch your son play high school basketball, and need to be in a spot near to a particular gymnasium.

All you want is the general downtown area. Vancouver downtown is squashed together on most sides by water, so you can't really get too many miles away from the very center of the bustling city.

Just familiarize yourself with www.biddingfortravel.com as far as how to bid on hotels most efficiently, and then know that a budget of $125 U.S. will go quite a distance on Priceline.

At the very least, go to biddingfortravel.com and just look at the "winning bids" for hotel rooms in downtown Vancouver (suggestion... scroll back to see what rates were scored during "summer", at about the time when you'll be there)

I go to Vancouver 12 to 20 times a year and am quite familiar with the downtown area. Plenty of alternatives and it is a buyer's market for hotel rooms.

Let us know what you think of Priceline.

Old Jan 1st, 2006, 09:56 AM

We were in Vancouver for a couple of days and stayed at Hotel Buchan. Reasonably priced and very well situated. Xr did everything on foot and bike. Close to the lovely park.Paul