Reasonable hotel in Toronto-possible?

Aug 30th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Reasonable hotel in Toronto-possible?

We were given tickets to the Medieval Show (dinner, show etc.). We probably won't go but would give the tickets to my son. Is it worth him and his wife coming into Toronto over night for this? It says value of $120 (my brother won at a golf tournament)..if so, where would be a conveniently located hotel and one that is budget priced but clean? Thanks.
Aug 30th, 2004, 01:41 PM
BAK

Once the heavy tourist period is over, the Strathcona and the Victoria are reasonabley priced, and close to streetcar lines that come close to Medieval Times. (Queen Streetcar to Dufferin, and walk two blocks.)

BAK
Aug 30th, 2004, 02:07 PM

Consider Priceline - check http://www.betterbidding.com .
Aug 31st, 2004, 07:57 AM

I think I'd pay $120 not to have to go to the Medieval Show ...

But I digress. There's a Four Points Sheraton near the lakeshore and west of downtown - fairly close to the Medieval Show (but perhaps BAK can correct me if I'm wrong). It might be a good choice if they want to drive to Toronto.

There is also a Travelodge at King St W (at Bathurst). This neighbourhood is becoming (or has already become and has already gone past trendy): good restaurants, bars and interesting shops a little further north on Queen St W.
Aug 31st, 2004, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Kate W-I think I feel the same way about this "Show"..hence my giving the tickets away! However I wonder how my 20 something son and wife would feel about it? I have no clue about it at all except I think I heard you eat with your hands (that did it for me!)...anyone been? Also if I post for priceline, is there an "area" that I would bid on - ie. downtown etc.? Thanks.
Aug 31st, 2004, 01:01 PM

I am not from Toronto but I was there in May on a Priceline stay and I got the Courtyard Marriott on Yonge Street (a 3* in the Downtown zone) for US$32.

In fact I have seen a lot of people getting this same hotel now for a similar price, maybe a few $ more. I thought that was tremendous value as it is a nice hotel in a central Toronto location.

The only thing I don't know is whether it is near the show which from BAK's description may be a little way from this hotel. Obviously there is no guarantee you would get this hotel with Priceline, check out www.biddingfortravel.com or www.betterbidding.com for help if you decide to do this.
Aug 31st, 2004, 05:03 PM
BAK

The show is apparently a lot of fun, for people who like to see horses and knights while eating dinner.

I'm going to an outddor medieval festival next weekend, but would enjoy the Feast at the CNE grounds, too.

The Courtyard is too far to walk, but it is easy to take the subway to King Street (or walk the few blocks) and then take the streetcar, assuming budget does not permit a taxi.

If the visitors are driving, the Four Pointes Sheraton has easy parking. And you can park at the feast, too, although I have no idea how much parking costs. From the Four Pointes, it is an easy streetcar ride.

CORRECTION: earlier I mentioned the wrong streetcar. It is the King Streetcar that gets you to King and Dufferin, and then the short walk to the Feast building.

BAK
Sep 13th, 2004, 12:08 PM

My son has decided to take us up on the Medeival Show tickets. But they will train it into Toronto instead of driving. With this in mind, BAK or someone, would they still be better to stay at the Strathcona or Victoria (which is nicer?) or should they look at the Four Points Sheraton near the Lakeshore? They may be too timid to take public transportation so which would be the most central location for the triangle - Union Stn/Hotel/Feast?
Thanks.
Sep 13th, 2004, 02:47 PM
BAK

With no car, they'd be better off downtown. And are they going to do anything other than go to the feast?

I think it is a toss-up which is nicer, the Strathcona or the Victoria. The Victoria is closer to the Hockey Hall of Fame; the Strathcona is closer to more bars and restaurants, the CN Tower and SkyDome, but there's no big distance between them.

The Four Points is about the same distance as the Strathcona, with the Feast in the middle. The problem is that the Four Points is on the "nothing-there" side of town, while the Strathcona is in the heart of the city.

Public transit is easy. There are routes that involve transfers, but he can skip those.

From either the Victoria or the Strathcona, walk north to the corner of King Street and, in the case of the Victoria, Yonge, or in the case of the Strathcona, King Street and York.

Cross the street, and look for a red and white post that says TTC, on the north east corner of the intersection.

For sure, there's one at King and Yonge.

He may have to walk a short block west from York Street to King and University.

Wait for a streetcar that says KING on the front. Get on, and put $2.25 cash into the box with the slot, and tell the driver he needs to know where Dufferin is.

Ride along for a while, and he'll cross Spadina -- really wide --, Bathurst, pretty wide, and a few more streets.

Chances are very, very good the driver will call out Dufferin, which has a Burger King on the north side and a McDonald's on the south side of the intersection.

Get off, and walk south a long block to the CNE grounds -- there's a big arch he can see. Just inside the gate is the feast building.

After, he could walk back up to King Street and reverse the process, or just walk back to the hotel along King Street.

The TTC is full of people who don't know where they are or what they are doing, and drivers are usually good about providing help. I was on a new route myself last Thursday and needed the driver to tell me where my stop was.

Sep 13th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

You are truly an amazing, giving person! Thank you so much! I think I will see which I can get cheapest (my birthday gift to him)..and pick either the Strathcona or the Victoria...and then print out your directions and put in his birthday card!! And if I get it REALLY cheap, I will add entrance fee to the Hockey Hall of Fame - he would love that. Because I don't want to chance it with Priceline, is Expedia or Travelocity the best bet for pricing or should I go right to the hotel itself?
Thanks again! If you ever decide to head over to Italy, I have LOTS of info I would be delighted to share with you!
Sep 13th, 2004, 07:12 PM
BAK

Tonight I talked with my old friend Johnny, who lives on Dufferin near King, and walks a lot. He predicts 40-50 minutes from King and Dufferin to the Strathcona.

A couple of weeks ago a client called me Friday afternoon to tell me three of his clients were in airplanes coming from Mexico and Arizona at that momement, and needed a Toronto hotel for that night, plus three more.

I just punched up Expedia.ca, and filled in the dates. It then told me every decent hotel in Toronto's availability. Which, in fact, was bad; only two downtown hotels had Saturday night available. Most were full Friday too, but the King Edward (very fancy) had rooms for Friday, so I figured that would be a stop-gap measure.

The rate on Expedia looked good ($200 for one of the best hotels in town) so I called the hotel, got the reservations clerk, and just asked if I could deal with her or had to work the computer in order to get the rates.

She gave me two rooms for all the nights (there's usually sone set-asides in a big hotel), the rate was good, and the hotel also made available a meeting room for the travellers plus my client and several other local people, including coffee, fruit and pastries, for no additional charge. That's my Expedia experience.

If I were you, I'd call the Strathcona and the Hotel Victoria and negotiate. Are the travellers owners of current credit cards, or will you need to arrange payment for them? You could do this over the phone.

About Italy -- I've been close, looking across the border from France, and my hair gets cut in Italian (since 1978). My daughter sang in Lucca a few years ago, but has not been back. I'd love to see Venice, and yesterday I photographed a Ferrari on the street near my office.
Sep 15th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Me again! My son couldn't get reservations at Victoria Hotel but got a great rate at Delta Chelsea ($99 per night with Mastercard)...would you be so kind as to give directions for them to Medeival Feast from this hotel? Many, many thanks!
Sep 15th, 2004, 12:17 PM
BAK

Well, that's a good hotel.

Leave the hotel and go to Yonge Street and walk south a few blocks to King Street (He could get on the subway at Dundas and ride down, but that may be more trouble than it is worth. Only two stops.)

At King and Yonge, follow the instructions I gave before.

After the show, if he feels like walking, he can walk up Dufferin past King and keep going a few blocks to Queen Street West. Turn right-east, and then walk for half an hour or so toward downtown, and he'll find himself at Queen and Yonge Street. Turn north and walk a couple of blocks and he'll be back at the hotel.

BAK
Sep 16th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again! when he gets to Yonge and King, what side of the street is the TTC - ie. what direction should he be going on the King to Dufferin TTC??
Sep 16th, 2004, 02:14 PM
BAK

He wants to be going westbound towards Dufferin. The street car may say Dundas West on the front, or it may say something else, in addition to saying KING.

The streetcar stop to get on for going westbound is on the north east corner. He'll be across the King Street from Shoppers Drug Mart, and across Yonge Street from Starbucks.

He'll also see stairs leading to a subway stop underground.

In the early evening, he will be heading toward the sunset. He'll be heading toward really, really tall buildings, (the other way is shorter, older, buildings)

BAK
Sep 17th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks BAK...I'm sure they'll have a great time...For two of them, will a taxi cost much more than subway from Union Stn to Delta Chelsea?
Sep 17th, 2004, 06:49 PM
BAK

Subway, for two people, is $4.50 from Union Station stop to the Dundas stop. From there, it is a two block walk up Yonge Street, and a half-block walk down a little alley, and they are at the hotel.

I rarely take cabs, but would think it would be about $8-10 with tip from Union Station to the hotel.

If they has luggage with wheels and a tight budget, it's not a bad walk, much of which can be done underground.

But up in the air, just leave Univon Station and walk to Bay Street(which is at the east end of the station) and walk up Bay Street seven blocks or so, turn right on Elm and walk two thirds of a block to the driveway into the hotel.

The Chelsea has a nice pool, by the way, and a good, reasonably inexpensive, cafeteria for snacks or even meals.

BAK
Sep 20th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info BAK..I have printed it all off and given it to them and they're really looking forward to their weekend trip to the "big city".
By the way, Cirque de Soleil was a fantastic show..saw it on Sunday.
Sep 21st, 2004, 04:28 PM
BAK

Some streetcars going west on King Street may say Dundas West on the front of them. Dundas West is a subway station well past where he will get off to go to the feast.

Late this afteroon I gave a man directions on walking from King and University Avenue to King and Dufferin. Unless your son is a middle-aged black man with an African accent, this was not him. But it seems to be a popular destination.

BAK