Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto--Holiday Inn Yorkdale or Novotel North York?

Old Jan 13th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. I'm planning a trip to Toronto this July with my wife and 2 daughters. They're at the age where we can't all stay in one hotel room, so I'll need 2 rooms. That being said, I've been looking at lower priced hotels, and North York appears to be much lower priced than Downtown. I'm planning to take the subway to the downtown attractions, and will have a car to get to the others (Science Centre, Zoo, etc.). So, which is more highly recommended--the Holiday Inn Yorkdale or Novotel North York? Thanks in advance for your assistance!
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 11:29 AM
BAK

The Novatel is right on Yonge Street, very close to a subway station by the Center for the Arts, mel Lastman Square, etc.

The Holiday Inn is on the west side of Dufferin Street, which is the west border of the Yorkdale Shopping Center. The subway station in the Yorkdale Shopping Center is on the east side of the center. the store area is very large, and then there's a big, big parking lot to cross, to get to the hotel.

On the other hand, it is a great shopping centre, and depending on the ages of the girls, they'll love shopping there, plus there's a Rainforest Cafe that sells good food for kids and adults in a location with elephoants and fish and lots of things kids love.

It's a toss-up as far as driving anywhere from either hotel. They are only five minutes apart on an expressway.

If it was me, Novatel.

BAK
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, BAK. One more question--I just found Suite Toronto, with a location at 168 Simcoe St. (corner of Richmond and University). Apparently it's a 2 bedroom condo for $260/night, about the cost of 2 rooms at the Novotel. Are you familiar with this property and/or this downtown location? Again, many thanks!
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 12:03 PM

The Novotel at about $260 a night?

I suggest you read the thread following a posting by "Hey Momma" on www.BiddingForTravel.com (BFT). You will find it on about page 8 of the postings of winning bids under the Hotels/Canada/Ontario section under the heading "3* Novotel North York/Vaughan - $28 (9/10-12/04)".

Over the past two years, I've spent about 30 days in Toronto/Mississauga on Priceline bids. My last and most expensive stay was a couple of week ago at the Radisson Toronto Easton a $38 (USD) bid plus about a $7 Priceline service charge! And the parking was free!

You can save a lot of money on hotel rates by reading the Bidding For Travel Hotel Frequently Asked Question section toroughly then bidding on Priceline.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 01:26 PM

I think the building you're mentioning might be QWest. It's in the middle of the entertainment and nightclub district, so lots of activity (good and bad). You'll be very close to the CityTV/MuchMusic building (you can watch the action inside from the street). It will probably be loud late at night, with all the club kids. For that price, you could probably stay at the Cambridge Suites Hotel (just east of Yonge and south of Queen). Much quieter, and a proper hotel with full-time services, but very close to activities, public transit, etc. There is so much to do within walking distance of the downtown area. You should really try to stay downtown if you can.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 05:59 PM
BAK

I'm near Richmond and University, and I'll try to remember to take a look next time I'm walking nearby.

Some of the references to bid prices and internet deals are so good that you should take a look at them, but Ihave no idea how far in advance you can book.

Cambridge Suites, mentioned above, keeps getting good comments, and it is an excellent location, too.

Don't worry too much about the noise in the entertainment district, although in July it will be greater than in the winter. Richmond and University is pretty quiet.

But hotels seem to have windows that close and air conditioners that hum,...

On the other hand, noise does not bother me, and you may be different. I live across the street from a fire station with sirens all the time.

About the suburbs (Novatel, for instance) compared to downtown. Downtown Toronto's a great area for an evening stroll, and North York is not.

If you stay downtown, it's easy to get to the zoo, etc., plus you get the added enjoyment of the real city. Worth a few dollars each, every night.

BAK
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody, the $260/night for the Novotel was for 2 rooms, not 1. My daughters are 10 and 6, and past experience has shown that the 4 of us in 1 room doesn't work too well. I have looked at BFT, and may use that as our vacation gets closer, but will probably book the Novotel as a backup just in case Priceline doesn't work out. While my first choice would definitely be to stay downtown, the rooms (at least at this point) at most of the hotels I've seen recommended on this board are very expensive, including Cambridge Suites, Delta Chelsea, etc. Hopefully, those rates will come down in price as we get closer to summer, but one can never be sure.

Again, thanks to all for your responses and recommendations.