Quebec question

Mar 15th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Quebec question

Will be in Quebec City in June on business for several days. I've never been to this area before, nor have I been to New England other than Boston. I would like to rent a car and see some pretty scenery. I use my photographs to make notecards and will be looking for pretty houses, flowering balconies, etc. Are there any towns/villages within a three hour drive of Old Quebec that might be of interest to me? I enjoy traveling the countryside in France and am hoping to find some similarities here.

Since I plan to be out for several nights, would appreciate your also recommending charming B&Bs or small inns of character.
Mar 15th, 2004, 11:39 AM

The Ile d'Orléans is exactly what you are looking for and is only about a 30 minute drive away. You could also go further to the Charlevoix region as well, about an hour and a half or two east of Québec. It has lots of lovely villages and great scenery, for example Petite-Rivière, Baie-Staint-Paul, Ile-aux-Coudres, and La Malbaie.
Mar 16th, 2004, 03:54 AM
gdm

Laverendrye is right on. The ile d'orleans is very close to quebec and is very charming as is the charlevoix region. You can do a search on this forum for charlevoix - a poster named LouisP has provided a lot of good accommodation info. When you do visit the island, continue up the hill from the bridge and follow the main road straight through the lights. You will make a counter clockwise tour of the island that takes an hour or two, depending how often you stop. You will also find many lovely homes and gardens outside of the old city - visit the Montcalm neighbourhood bounded by De Salaberry and Belvedere streets (NS) and Ste Foy and The plains of Abraham (EW); St Jean Baptiste neighbourhood between Rue St Jean and the escarpment (EW) and De Salaberry and the St Jean Gates (NS); and Basse Ville east of Marie de L'incarnation between Arago and St Vallier streets. Have a good trip!
Mar 16th, 2004, 04:46 AM

I totally agree with the above. You will also find some very charming architecture and scenery right in the heart of the old city. There are lots of small, comfortable b&b's and inns on rue St. Ursule in the old city - the James Thompson is a nice one. Get up early on a sunny morning, and stroll down from this street towards the Fontenac, on on the Plains of Abraham side. You'll get some wonderful pictures, very much like some of the backstreets of a town in France. Once you get to the overlook of the St. Laurence, you can shoot a whole roll of film on the great views.
All of the countryside in this area is quite scenic. South of the city, much of it is similar to rural New England, except for the aluminum church spires. North of the city, the countryside takes on more of a boreal forest, north woods look, with coniferous trees dominating the forests.
Mar 24th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all this information. I can't wait.

If you're interested, you can look at the photos I'm using at www.travelswithdiane.com/photocards.html. I'm not selling online, so this is not a sales pitch.
Mar 26th, 2004, 09:38 AM
gdm

Your photos are great, Diane. I'm sure you will find inspiration in Quebec. One place I forgot to mention that you will probably want to visit is the Bois du Coulonge - a large park off of Laurier avenue, not far from the old city - lots of walking trails, flowers, trees. Have a great trip!
Mar 26th, 2004, 09:50 AM

Very nice photos indeed. Old Quebec City should give you many more such wonderful opportunities.

Ken