Help with trip to Gaspe

Search

Help with trip to Gaspe

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with trip to Gaspe

My wife and I are planning a trip to the Gaspe in mid June for 8 days. Flying from Memphis to Montreal, renting a car and heading out. What should we not miss? We both love food. What restaurants/food types should we not miss.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 11:54 AM

I didn't exactly do the peninsula as you intend to, BUT I say that, as you drive up the St. Lawrence, instead of going on the faster freeway/highway... take the smaller roads that actually pass through the little towns there (both west and east of Quebec City) (north side of St. Lawrence until Q.C. and then the south side after that, is where I was).

I'm not at all a religious person, but the CHURCHES in many of these towns were amazing! Just driving by I could tell that those places really meant something considerable to the residents who lived nearby.

The drives along the St. Lawrence are really pleasant, so don't do too much of it late at night. (although mid-June makes that not usually a problem)

Old Feb 20th, 2006, 03:32 AM

Hi popska5125,

Are you skipping Montreal and Quebec City?

Three places to look for excellent cuisine: Manoir de Tilly, in St-Antoine-de-Tilly; Auberge du Mange Grenouille, in Le Bic; and at the Gite Mont-Albert, at Mont-Albert.

As for food types...I hesitate to recommend poutine, but it is unique (and heart attack inducing). East of Quebec City look for smoked sturgeon, a delicious delicacy. The famous Matane shrimp will be offered everywhere. In my opinion they taste like fishy water, but try them at least once.

Make sure you stop in Grand-Metis to visit the Jardins de Metis www.jardinsmetis.com

Enjoy your visit. JQ

Old Feb 20th, 2006, 04:01 AM

Hello! On your drive to Gaspé, do stop at Kamouraska, a lovely village by the St-Laurent. And as a bonus, pick-up streudels from the bakery (in front of the church). They are my favorite.... in the world! Have a nice trip.
http://www.beauxvillages.qc.ca/angla...ouraska_a.html
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 09:01 AM

I would stick to Autoroute 20 in between Montréal and Québec City (2.5 hours). Try to make time to see both cities or at least Québec City. From Québec City, continue on Autoroute 20 to Rivière-du-Loup (2 hours).

After this the expressway ends and Route 132 begins. This route goes from Rivière-du-Loup to Rimouski and onwards around the entire peninsula. At around Campbellton, NB, the road leaves the coast and heads north through the Matapedia Valley and rejoins the coast on the north side of the Gaspé at Mont-Joli.

At least 2000 km in driving for the trip.