Quebec City - July or August?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I plan to spend our 30th anniversary this summer in Quebec City as first time visitors. We'll stay one week (plus maybe we'll jet over to Boston to visit relatives for an additional week.)

We'd like to avoid the huge crowds anticipated during the music festival week (when's it scheduled?), but are otherwise open for either July or August.

Which week/month would be preferred for visiting? Having just started our research, hotel and restaurant suggestions are also welcome.

Rgds,
Lew T.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 05:16 AM

I'm not familiar with any particular music festival in QC that attracts huge crowds, although i may be wrong. You may be confusing QC with Montreal's Jazz Fest, which does attract huge crowds in late June early July. QC is a very charming but small city (at least the 'old city' part), that can easily be explored in 2-3 nights. You may want to spend some time in either Montreal which is much bigger and more cosmopolitan, or a few days exploring the beautiful countryside outside QC. Either July or August would be fine, unless you are planning some time in Montreal - then avoid the first few days in July.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 02:25 PM

We were in QC for the first time at the beginning of August one year. The music festival was just ending, there were a lot of people there, but the atmosphere was quite cheerful and friendly..
It was cooler than NYC but was a bit humid.
Since we love the Hotel Le Germain in Montreal, I would stay at the Hotel Dominion in QC. I would think a week is a long time to be in Quebec, have you considered Montreal too?
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

I've now learned that the Quebec City Summer festival runs July 8 - 18th and that August may be slightly cooler than July. Thanks to all for your replies and ideas.

New itinerary: I'm starting to think 3 days in QC, 3-4 days in Montreal, and 3-4 days in Boston.

What about renting a car. What's the drive time from QC to Mont? What about Mont to Boston? Or, should we skip the car and travel like Europeans - by train?
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 04:08 PM

Drive time from Montreal to QC is about 2-2 1/2 hours, at least that is my recollection.
I think breaking up the trip between Montreal and QC is a good idea, a more "full" experience of the two lovely cities.
I only know times of drives from NYC
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 07:28 AM

If you take the train between Qc and Mtl you'll get to see nicer things.. the view on the highway is kind of boringggggggg...
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 06:01 PM

I wouldn't be concerned about "huge crowds" or try to guess the weather for Montreal or Quebec City.

We've visited both during many festivals, it's just not necessary to be worried about huge crowds. While it may be "busy", neither will be unpleasantly mobbed. And, depending upon your dates, you may encounter the International Jazz Festival (along with the fabulous International Fireworks Festival) in Montreal. But, again, the city will be busy, but not unpleasantly mobbed, and these events are worth timing your visit to attend!

Whether you drive or take the train would depend upon the amount of luggage you have along and whether you wish to sit or drive. Train fares in Canada are a bit pricey. The drive/train ride from Quebec City to Montreal is definitely bloody boring. Driving is about 3 hours.

The drive from Montreal to Boston is about 5 hours. Glorious scenery along I-89 through Vermont and New Hampshire and on down to Boston, most of the way. I have no personal experience with the train.

Back to the weather. All bets are off here. Could be swealtering in either month, or NOT. Same goes for Boston. You just never know. But, August is often more comfortable than July.

I can't imagine why you'd need or want to break up the trip between Quebec City and Montreal, but I would definitely recommend considering an overnig somewhere along the way between Montreal and Boston in either Vermont or New Hampshire.

Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 06:43 PM

I went to Montreal and QC July 4th weekend 2002. The weather was beautiful compared to NYC. We got a great deal from one of the Canadian Tourist Board links and stayed at the Château Frontenac it was fabulous. Make sure you try Rogers Chocolates in the lobby. There were alot of people but it was not crowded.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 08:57 AM

We went to Quebec City and Charlevoix (2 hours or so away from the city) at the end of July last summer - It was beautiful, besides the haze! - I agree you do not need more than 2 or 3 days in Quebec City. We also stayed at the Chateau Frontenac which is amzing and in a great location, and at the Manoir Richelieu (spelling) in Charlevoix - Loved both places - Must say the food in Charlevoix tops any place weve been!!!!
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 09:39 AM

My husband and I spent 3 days in Quebec City last year, the last week of August (Labor Day Weekend) and it was great. The weather was very comfortable. It was a little bit crowded, but not a problem. I loved Quebec City and the museums are really interesting. But you will definitely be bored after a week. I think 3 days MAX is perfect.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 01:10 AM

Bonjour;

Do not expect huge crowds in Quebec City in the summer !!!

Allow more time for Montreal than Quebec City.

2 - 3 days in Quebec & you have seen it all.

Montreal will take you a week +

regards

Daniel
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 01:15 AM

bonjour;

Going To Quebec City, it is a must to visit the Orleans island, Village of st Laurent & sample the exellent restaurants on that Island. Also visit the Montmorency water falls. Over all Quebec City is a delight for the ones who like to enjoy exellent food. !!!
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 01:00 PM

We went to the Montmorency Falls, very impressive. Also we drove past on to a beautiful church that I cannot remember the name of..it is all gold on the outside and so beautiful inside. It was a nice side trip for a day out of QC, where we had been for 3 days and we had gotten a little bored.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 06:49 PM

To Scarlett: the church was probably St Anne de Beaupre; there are a lot of crutches and the like inside from those who have been "cured".

The Festival d'Ete is the 8th -18th. It's busy but not a mob scene.
Do try to visit the Ile d'Orleans; beautiful just to drive around.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 02:37 AM

I was up in Quebec City for a day (drove from Montreal) last August (thinking about going again) I think it's a romantic choice for an aniversary. I think everyone has a different opinion of crowds. I'm from Georgia and I thought that the old part of QC was crowded pedistrian wise but there wasn't much traffic. People don't walk that much in my town so I was amazed. I live a couple blocks down from the post office but I can't remember the last time I walked to get stamps. Most people particularly women are scared to walk even in the safest neighborhood. So to see so many pedestrians was part of the fun. But if you're from a big city up north like Boston this may not be so amazing. Expect to do a lot of walking even if you drive finding a parking space in old city is really tough. I also hate to pay to park again in my town it's just something we don't do. So I walked about almost a mile for a free parking space. But there were no long lines and to me it's more fun with people walking around than if the streets were empty. It also makes me feel safer.