Quebec city for first wedding anniversery

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Quebec city on August 31 for 3 nights staying at the chateau frontinac then 2 days at le Manoir Richelieu The anniversery is on the sept 1 and would like to do something unique, memorable for dinner rather than a typican restraunt. Its been a tough year so this is our only holiday so want to make it amazing.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last year got married with elephants in Africa, so want to do something Canadian and she has never been to Quebec city and I know she will love it. She likes history and culture.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 02:55 PM

Since I too will be in Quebec City in August with my DH of 18 yrs for a delayed anniv trip, I'm anxious to read any of you Fodorites' suggestions. We're staying at Hotel Manoir d'Auteuil for 4 nights Aug 17-21. Also, what can you all tell us about the summer weather you're having-the East Coast has been abnormally wet I'm told. Merci!
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 05:17 AM

I was there a couple of weeks ago and it rained a lot! Their weather has been rainy like the US northeast. Just keep an umbrella handy. Maybe out of our 12 day trip to Montreal, Quebec City, and Tadoussac we had 3 days of total sunshine. The other days had rain (thunderstorms too) at some point during the day.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 01:05 PM

I guess we were lucky in May that we only got two afternoons of rain. But when it rained, it poured! On those days we took bus tours. A rainy day might be a good time to see the Quebec Experience too. We didn't fit that in.

Barryozed, we stayed at the Frontenac for two nights but then bailed out to the much nicer Auberge Saint-Antoine. I don't regret staying at the Frontenac though. I had to do it, once.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 01:21 PM

They don't do dinner, but we had lunch at Le Parlementaire recently and it was wonderful food - all from Quebec. The restaurant is in the Quebec Parliament building and is open for breakfast as well. Reservations are recommended, although we were able to eat there without one (maybe because it was 1:00 on a summer Friday).

We each had potato soup, followed by main courses of rainbow trout with salted herbs (one of us) and medallions of red deer (the other). The soups and main courses were absolutely delicious. Dessert was the only disappointment. The server recommended the profiteroles (turned out to be three tiny cream puffs filled with vanilla ice cream and drizzled with caramel, strawberry, and chocolate sauces -one sauce for each profiterole). I thought the profiteroles themselves were bland, although the sauces were good. The meal came with bread (good, but not great) at the beginning and a hot beverage at the end (dessert was extra) and cost about $60 for the two of us (including a generous tip).

It is open Monday-Friday only, from about 9:00 or 9:30 (seems sort of late for breakfast!) until 2:00.