Pine Bungalows, Jasper

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2006, 06:08 PM
mrf
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pine Bungalows, Jasper

Hi
Has anybody stayed at the Pine Bungalows in Jasper? Their website isn't very informative and very little pictures. I am assuming all the bedding and kitchen utensils are there? Do they have daily maid service? Are the riverfront bungalows really right on the riverfront or do you have to cross a road to the river? Is there a store there for groceries or snacks?
Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 07:29 PM

I have not stayed there but am familiar with Pine Bungalows. Bedding, kichen utensils and daily maid service are for sure. The river front bungalows are right on the river and away from any roads. I don't think there is a store there but it is situated just across from the main highway access to Jasper. About a kilometre from a grocery store.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 09:40 PM

I have stayed several times at Pine Bungalows. There is daily maid service and kitchen (its is more a kitchenete than a seperate kithchen) are equipped with all utensils.

The riverfront cabins a located close to the riverfront, but you have to cross the private road heading to the riverfront cabins before you can reach the river bank.

We had no river view from our cabin (it was a riverfront cabin), as the washroom and kitchen were on the front side of the cabin facing the river (no window at this side of the cabin), but this was of no importance for us.

Anyhow I would recommend a stay in the Pine Bungalows, as they are close to the town and well equipped (no TV).

You can also check with Beckers Chalets (they have a similar price level).
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 09:53 PM

Billed as luxury / unimproved. Our cabin last September had no cooking facilities in the cabin, but had a fabulous bed and a delux washroom. It also had a resident Elk who wandered through every evening calling out to hopeful mates. It was approx $160cdn per night.
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 06:21 PM
mrf
Original Poster

Thank for the replies. I have booked this cabin for 4 nights in July. Now I am trying to figure out what all we should do that week. What are some of the must see or do things while staying in Jasper.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 04:37 PM

There are many possibilities for things to do in Jasper. Here are a few of my favourites.
Hikes
- Valley of the five lakes (not too tough and close to town)
- Mount Edith Cavell ( two hikes, an easy one and the 'cavell meadows' hike which is a good climb.) Both have views of the Angel Glacier.
- My favourite is the Sulphur Skyline at Miette Hot Springs (don't miss this either) The Sulphur Skyline trail is about ten kilometres, the outward half uphill, and you are rewarded with a spectacular view at the top.

View spots to visit
- Maligne Canyon. My measurements may not be exact but it is about 15' wide and 300' deep.
- Jasper Skytram - is a ride up Whistlers mountain
- Maligne Lake - you can take the cruise to Spririt Island (book ahead)
- Athabasca Falls is 30 minute south and worth the trip
- Columbia Icefields are an hour or so South on the Highway to Banff. The snowmobile tours are informative but you can walk up on the glacier from the parking lot below it if you don't want to take the tour. I went last year with family from England and we did not need reservations for the tour.
- Pyramid lake is a pretty spot where you can rent canoes etc. and Patricia Lake is the local's favourite for swimming and beach activities.
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 05:41 PM
mrf
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information. We don't plan to cook much or if at all. Please recommend some restaurants that we should check out. We like Greek, Steakhouses, and Pizza etc. We don't want to spend a whole bunch but 25-30 a night per person would be about right. Also where is the best breakfast in town?
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 09:16 PM

My overiding memory of Jasper is that they need to get their act together regarding food. Do not expect gourmet.

Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 10:11 AM

You can all Jasper restaurants via the Jasper restaurant guide:

http://specials.bowesonline.com/69/foodguide/

We like the breakfast in the Smitty restaurant.
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 08:04 PM

Sorry tom22, not trying to pick a fight here. Smitty's is to an American an IHOP or Denny's. To a Britt it is a little Chef.
Not gourmet dining, merely a diner.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 05:04 PM

Best breakfast in Jasper - Try Papa Georges in the Astoria Hotel ... or Pyramid lake restaurant.

Greek - Lots of choice in Jasper - most of the restaurant owners are Greek! Try L and W for greek food ... or Something Else (That is the name of a restaurant.)
Jasper Pizza has good pizza.

I don't recall any steak houses that primarilly serve steak but good Alberta beef will be avaialable in just about all the restaurants. Andy's Bistro is highly recommended but may also be upper price range.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 11:50 AM

We had our best meal of our trip to the Canadian Rockies at the Tekerra Lodge near Jasper. Wonderful food and sit on the patio if possible.

We also ate at Fiddler's River and thought that was very good, just not as good at Tekerra.

By the way, we stayed at Alpine Village which was one of the most charming and cleanest places I have ever stayed. They were washing the OUTSIDE of the cabins while we were there. No restaurant but large hot tub and chairs on the river. I would go back at any opportunity.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 09:44 PM

I LOVE food, and one of my favourite restaurants is in the Tekarra Lodge, however you are going to spend a lot more than $30/person. If you feel like splurging then go - it is well worth it. I also like Papa George's and Fiddle River. There is also a little coffee shop on the west end of the main street (near Fiddle River) that has some great healthy food that is reasonably priced.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 02:05 PM

I am interested in your up to date impressions of Pine Bungalows after your stay in July. I have reserved there for September and any more info would be appreciated.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 06:02 PM

We were very content with our three night stay there last July. I don't remember the names of the restaurants we had dinner in. There is an excellent bakery in Jasper where we got rolls and buns to go with our breakfast of bacon and eggs cooked in the cabin. It made it easier getting out in the morning.
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 05:07 PM
mrf
Original Poster

Well I might have enjoyed it more had the weather been more co-operative. We had rain everyday we were there and it was cool. We actually had the fireplace going on 2 different nights. With no TV it made the evenings go by very slow. It was too cold to sit outside. One of the main problems I had was with the mice. I heard one in our bathroom garbage the second day we were there. The next two nights our neighbors had one in there garbage can (they also had their smoke detector go off at 2:00am for no apparent reason). But all in all these cabins are alright. I think the next time I visit Jasper I will try to reserve a room at Alpine Village. They looked very nice. If you have any other questions please ask!
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 09:29 PM

Mice in the garbage can? Too funny. We had Elk in the clearing in September. Different months must attract different wildlife.
Sorry about the bum weather. The Rockies are so unpredictable that way.
I have been snowed upon in August when we were tenting.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:06 AM

We stayed 5 nights in Pine bungalows last June in a riverfront chalet with cooking facilities. We found them comfortable and well equipped. We had lovely views of the river and also saw elk passing by. We didn't see any mice but had a squirrel in the roof - it seemed to have a hole somewhere by the chalet base and would scamper up through the wall cavity and into the roof space. This picture was taken a few yards from our cabin:

http://www.worldisround.com/articles...5/photo39.html