Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Pacific Sands or Cox Beach Resort in Tofino?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is availability at both, with the Pacific Sands being about $30 more a person. Thanks!
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 03:15 PM

MHO, Pacific Sands.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 01:33 PM

Stayed at Pacific Sands quite a number of years ago. I remember the setting being stunningly beautiful and the unit we stayed in was, at least back then, modern, clean, small but comfortable and fairly well equipped.

I was a little surprised by the lack of other amenities on site (maybe this has changed?), however the units offered kitchens and with that setting, other activities weren't really important. We spent all our time (several days) wandering the shoreline, exploring tidepools, walking the trails and beach in the National Park and just sitting out front, relaxing and enjoying the scenery and drove into Tofino when we felt like a meal out and browsing some shops.

I remember investigating Cox Beach but don't remember why I decided on Pacific Sands. It wasn't cheap from what I remember - it helped that at that time we were living, and earning, in the U.S. and the Canadian dollar was much lower than it is now!
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 08:08 AM

I too stayed at Pacific Sands years ago, and it was lovely. I'm sure it's chaqnged a lot, but the setting remains timeless.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 07:06 PM

Mat54 is quite accurate about Pacific Sands, really no amenities except for a drop dead gorgeous beach right out the door. We have been there 3 times in the past 10 years and if it were not for the great distance from our home I would go back there next week!
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 03:35 PM

We, too, love Pacific Sands.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Pacific Sands is booked for our dates. So is Long Beach Lodge Resort and Middle Beach. So, I've booked Cox Bay. If needed, I can cancel with a $25 fee in the next week or so, The Wikkinish Inn would be about 200 dollars extra a night. I'm not sure that it's worth it since it would mean a king bed and two cots in one room.

Thoughts?
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 10:08 PM

not worth it IMO. Cox Bay is a great location. YOu will most likely be so busy going here and there anyhow. I would keep Cox Bay.
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I think the key is to just think of it as a rental and have modified expectations. I just need to shake off my sense of disappointment about not getting into the others in time.

Oh well.
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 06:14 AM

Cox Bay is great .Over priced rooms at these other places are not worth it.This area is stunning ,I would sleep in the woods to enjoy all the beauty here.Do not miss long beach,mesmerizing.enjoy
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Gravelbug! Is the beach called Long Beach?
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 09:54 PM

The park in is called Pacific Rim National Park and is the longest beach in Tofino. Before it was a federal park, the main beach was called "Long Beach'. This is now a day park only, no camping or overnight stays. There are two main parking spots. You need to pay for parking and can spend a day there picnicing, long walks down the beach etc. There are also other areas of the Pacific Rim Park that you can park at and explore as well. There is one area of the park that does have a camping area above the beach, but this is not considered 'Long Beach'. Your day parking ticket is good for all the beaches/parks.

Where you are staying is Cox Bay. This is not part of the Federal Park. There is also Chestermans North and South (Where the Wickaninnish is) again not part of the park and a wonderful long sand beach. The differance between the beach at Long Beach and Chestermans/Cox etc is that there are no buildings or homes/hotels or anything on 'Long Beach' except some homes that are part of the native reserve.

When you make the turn off to Tofino, you will hit the crest of a hill and see this great beach in front of you. That is Long Beach.
The next beach is Cox Bay
After that is CHestermans
Then McKenzie Beach
And after that Tofino. There are some small beaches in between but these are the major ones.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Aah thank you. Ignorantly, I did not realize that the PAcific Rim NAtional Park included a beach. Wow! I really do need to look at that link to the park and its trails that was posted here.