Reload this Page >

Ottawa restaurants

Search

Ottawa restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 06:20 AM
Bruce Hayes

Ottawa restaurants

Can anyone tell me about Social or E18hteen?

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 09:26 AM
curiousx

I think they are too new to have much information out yet. Here are a couple of URL's that have a little info about them,<BR><BR>http://www.canada.com/ottawa/features/barsandnightclubs/pages/010811/5073632.html<BR><BR>http://www.ottawaplus.ca/profile/429482/?cslink=cs_generic_3_6<BR><BR>http://www.ottawaplus.ca/profile/54929/<BR>

Old Jun 10th, 2003, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking for Ottawa restaurant suggestions. I'm interested in some place with a casual atmosphere &amp; excellent food. I am staying downtown.

I have been searching the web with limited success. Meditheo, Empire Grill &amp; The Fish Market look like possibilities. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 01:59 PM

It's a chain, but I've never gone wrong at The Keg. Here's the Ottawa location:

Ottawa Keg
75 York Street
Ottawa, Ontario
(613) 241-8514

Located in the heart of the Byward Market, five minutes from Canal &amp; Parliament.

Reservations accepted Sunday through Thursday.

I've been there recently and like the others I've visited, it's great.

(http://www.kegsteaksteakhouse.com/)

Another place that I enjoyed in Ottawa:

Andrew's Cafe, 388 rue Albert St.
Telephone: 613-230-8057

Andrew's Cafe is a wonderfully intimate fine dining experience. Housed in a brick, Dutch colonial-type structure, you can't miss it in its neighborhood of much larger, city-scape buildings. Chef Andrew Coughlan had tenures with the fabulous Chateau Laurier and Four Seasons group prior to opening his own place in the mid-1990s. You should plan to choose a bottle from the wine list to go with your elegant meal which hearkens in appearance, flavor and presentation to a fine French restaurant.

Specialties of the house include Parisien Flambe and Continental cuisine. We can heartily recommend the seafood toss with a bottle of Chardonney. Lunch and dinner are served Monday-Friday, with dinners only on Saturdays and Sundays. This places lacks nothing in quality and ambiance, yet it is unassuming and you won't need evening wear. (I've seen a poor review of Andrew's that was carried in the Ottawa paper a couple of years ago, but it didn't match my experience after that.)

Last one:

Zoe's Lounge - Sunday Brunch at Chateau Laurier, 1 Rideau Street, Telephone: 613-241-1414.

In a city with a number of prominent addresses, the Chateau Laurier takes its place near the top of the list in a fabulous structure that is the epitome of style and elegance both inside and out. Perhaps it should not be surprising that such a place would host one of the finest Sunday brunches that I've ever seen (and I've visited many).

Served in Zoe's lounge, which is just to your right as you enter from the hotel's front door, the presentation is a feast for the eyes in variety, colors, smells and succulent textures of food. There is so much that it is not possible to even sample much of it, but you can resolve to visit again and it is a promise you should be happy to have the opportunity to keep. French specialities such as pates and delicately smoked salmon; croissants and breads; beef bourgignon; glazed fruit desserts; bay shrimp; trout; charcuterie; leg of lambs; crepes -- plus a full line-up of traditional breakfast favorites -- it's a fabulous cornucopia and it's all very well-prepared and presented.

As if the luscious menu itself isn't enough, it is all enjoyed in a classic, white-linen, chandeliered, dining room that will leave you feeling that you are experiencing one of life's great luxuries -- and you most certainly are. This is a five-star plus experience and you owe yourself to this wonderful treat if you find yourself in Canada's capital city on a Sunday morning. The place is, quite simply, impeccable.

Bon appetit!

Old Jun 12th, 2003, 09:24 AM

Hi,

Empire Grill is one of my fave restaurants. The food is delicious and the atmosphere is very cool.

The Fish Market is ok - there is a better seafood restaurant just kitty corner to it called Lapointe's (they also run a retail seafood store a few blocks away).

Also in the market you should check out Benny's Bistro for lunch or brunch. it is part of the Boulangerie francais french bakery and has amazing French bistro food (Murray St. and Dalhousie).

Enjoy your stay
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 06:52 PM

Stay away from the Fish Market - I agree with jacolis' recommendation about Lapointe's across the street being far better. Another Byward Market favourite is Domus - at the corner of Murray and Parent - open kitchen, menu changes daily, great use of local ingredients, great food...More casual but also good is the Black Tomato, one block north from the corner of Rideau and Sussex, in an old stone building. Beckta's is the newest great restaurant in town - on Nepean St, between Bank and Kent - fantastic food, a little pricey, nice atmosphere.
Enjoy!