Dining in Edmonton on a Sunday Evening

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2004, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a nice medium priced restaurant to go to with friends when we are in Edmonton. Any suggestions....we'd prefer a varied menu as opposed to a specific type of cuisine.
Old Jan 1st, 2004, 06:59 PM

It depends on what you consider "medium priced".

I consider the following "medium priced", but others may disagree:

Manor Cafe (actually a restaurant in an old house near the Provincial Museum) - nice ambience, very tasty food, a pretty good wine list, and the very best Tiramisu in the city.

Packrat Louie's - just off the Whyte Ave / Strathcona area, good food and wine list, casual decor.

Sorrentino's - there are several in the city, including one on Whyte Ave and one downtown, they are very popular restaurants, which means that many people like the food (it's "sort-of" Italian cuisine).

Nina's - not far from the museum, the food used to be much better (change in chef???), but it still always seems to be packed.

Koutouki - the best Greek food in the city, maybe even the country, the place is always packed. If you order a variety of the appetizers, there is plenty of food to share. Don't have their house wine though (it's Greek, not very good, and leaves you with a headache), order a bottle of some other vintage instead.

This list is short, but it is a start. . . .
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 08:52 AM
ltt

sorrentino's is no longer on whyte avenue. it was horrible and the hotel got rid of them. i've hear other locations are good.

a favorite of mine is chianti's on whyte avenue. a majority of their menu is veal & pasta but they also have great appetizers, salads, fish and chicken dishes. prices are very reasonable. average would be $11.

the keg is always great if you want a steak.

on the north side, coliseum pizza and steak is good.

downtown - brewsters brewing company or cafe select.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 09:28 AM

Chianti's is a good place for lunches and dinners, but I would consider it a "value-priced" (= inexpensive) place to dine.

If you are considering the "chain-type" places such as The Keg, or the Coliseum Pizza and Steak (no ambience), then you may also want to look at restaurants such as Earl's or Sawmill. Both have a large assortment of items on their menu, the food is OK but not inspired or wonderful by any means. However, both are very popular, so that means they must cater to the average taste bud.

Bon Appetit amygirl!!!
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 05:18 PM

I second Chianti's; fun and funky. While it's true that the Keg is a chain, I've found them to be consistently good and that includes the one in Edmonton near Chianti's: Strathcona Keg, 8020 - 105th Street,
(780) 432-7494. Sunday hours are 3:30 p.m. until 11 p.m.