Only 1 week in Nova Scotia, HELP

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only 1 week in Nova Scotia, HELP

My husband and I are traveling to Nova Scotia for one week, Sept 22 to 29. We are flying in to (and out of) Halifax from Boston and renting a car. I have already eliminated PEI because it seems like too much ground to cover in such a short time. We are looking at 2-3 (tops) base camps to explore and we love B and B's, $100 to 150 range. We love nature and are primarily going to walk, bike and kayak, although nothing hugely strenuous, 4-5 hour trips tops. We will also want to either take a whale cruise or a fishing trip. Any thoughts on wineries is appreciated as well. We would love your thoughts on how best to base camp Nova Scotia since we only have one week! Thank you all so much in advance
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 07:17 AM
ltt

2 nights halifax
drive towards digby seeing peggy's cove, lunenburg etc on the way there. spend 2 nights in digby.
drive to cape breton island and spend 3 nights in baddeck. i'd stop in pictou for lunch on the way.
or, cut out digby - 2 nights halifax, 1 night in the pictou area, several nights in baddeck with your final night in halifax. depends how much driving you want to do.
nova scotia is a big area to cover and the roads aren't too quick. i was there for 2 1/2 weeks and felt i could have used another week.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you ltt~ Now I am depressed with your comment "I had two and a half weeks and could have used another."I am going to check on getting a little more time! Are there any properties to stay in that you were particularly fond of?
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 06:11 PM

Sorry, but I will agree a week is not enough. You should have just done PEI -it's much smaller than NS! I would do Halifax, Pictou, then Baddeck - but you will either do part of the Cabot Trail, or all of it and skip Louisburg, etc. Check this out on a map - it's longer driving than you think and you will want to stop and experience things.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:30 AM

Don't be upset, you can see & do lots in Nova Scotia in a week! I'd suggest setting up your first base camp in Halifax near the Citadel as this location will allow you to see the fortress, explore the Maritime Museum, and walk through the Victorian Public Gardens as your schedule permits over the next couple of days. The second day, drive out to Peggy's Cove or Lunenburg where you might want to book your whale cruise or fishing trip. If you've already experienced the Fundy tides, you can skip Digby... If not, I'd recomend going over to Wolfville for a day trip as that location will shorten your drive time and give you a similar Fundy experience.

By day 4, you'll be ready to head east towards Cape Breton Island. Set up your second base camp in Baddeck where you might want to take in the Alexander Graham Bell sites or kayak on Bras d' Or Lake. Spend one day driving the Cabot Trail through Cape Breton Highlands. Leave early to allow time to drive all the way up to Meat Cove and consider stopping at the Keltic Lodge near Ingonish for a meal enroute. The other day, consider going over to Louisbourg to explore the Fortress there (A more rustic Colonial Williamsburg type of restoration site). Spend your last full day driving back to Halifax to overnight.

Hopefully you will find the weather to be as warm and inviting as the people of Nova Scotia. I have yet to do a fall foliage trip to the provience and would appreciate feedback after you return..... rt
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 04:35 PM

dear retired....do you have a suggestion for a small hotel or b & b near the Citadel? We would like to be able to walk to the museum and waterfront. Something in the $100 - 150 range US would be wonderful, thanks
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 03:52 AM

Although it's a bit of a climb to the Citadel, you would probably enjoy staying at the Halliburton...

Old Jun 16th, 2007, 10:41 AM

This summer will be my second vacation to Nova Scotia. We visited the Lighthouse Route last year. From Halifax we drove to Mahone Bay and stayed at the Edgewater B&B, the owners Susan and Paul Seltzer were very helpful. It is a wonderful place to stay, their breakfasts are delicious. There are beautiful scenic drives close by. I believe that you can sea kayak in Mahone Bay. Another favorite place was in Liverpool at Lanes Privateer Inn where we found good food and lovely surroundings. Lastly I would suggest visiting the Seaside Adjunct of Kejimkujik National Park. Its a spectacular walk, allow at least 3 hours. I hope you enjoy your trip.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 06:17 PM

This group is great! We arrive Halifax airport late afternoon & will drive to the north coast. We would like to have a short look at the extreme tide and are really just looking for an overnight stay after a long plane trip before we head for Cape Breton Island the next day. Which village would be a good choice? Thanks for the Halliburton suggestion for the other end of our trip, we are all set there.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 06:55 AM
ltt

i stayed in the waverley inn in halifax. great location. ok hotel that includes breakfast.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 09:31 AM

When you refer to north coast, where exactly are you heading?
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 09:36 AM
LJ

I second The Waverley Inn for access to the area of Halifax that retired teacher (who knows hi/her stuff!) suggests-if you can't get in there, don't shy away from the Holiday Inn Select that is actually very good.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 09:44 AM

Hey Tanya, let's put our heads together on this one..... Don't you think that smcgown would be able to get a Fundy experience by driving over to Wolfville? My thought is that Digby would be a stretch coming off a late afternoon flight especially if they intend to head for Cape Breton the next day.... My problem is I've never stayed in Wolfville! Any suggestons?

BTW smcgown, glad to hear that you got in at the Halliburton, but The Waverly Inn would probably be an even better choice... just never stayed there myself. rt
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 10:27 AM

This thread is great! We are also heading to NS for almost 1 wk, leaving 9/20 to 9/26. We are taking the CAT from Portland to Yarmouth.
Does anyone have any different advice for us? We would love to see anything (pratically) that is Scottish. We don't want to spend a lot on lodging, as we figure we won't be there much except to sleep, however we would love it to be picturesque. Is that possible?
What all can we cram in during that time?
Thanks much--you're all great.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 11:34 AM
LJ

The CAT is a great way to cross on a calm day: take Gravol (dramamine) if it is anything less than that.

Once you get off at Yarmouth, I would likely aim for Lunenburg, a lovely (Unesco World Heritage) small town that would be great for overnight and then a leisurely drive up the South Shore Lighthouse route taking in Mahone Bay, Chester and Peggy's Cove the next day.

Stay in Halifax for 2 nights and enjoy the Pier, the Citadel, the Market, the charm of the university and Spring Garden Road restaurants and boutiques tucked in behind. (check out the threads with retired teacher on them for more detail-she/he really knows Halifax). To see the Halifax skyline at night, take the ferry over to Dartmouth and eat at the restaurant in the terminal there (or maybe just a drink-the food is only so-so and there are so many GREAT restaurants on the Halifax side).

Then I will leave the construction of the rest of your jaunt to Cape Breton to others. It is THE source of all things Scottish in NS and very charming but I do not know it well enough to guide you and there are those that do!
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 01:56 AM

If you head to Wolfville, try the Blomidon Inn. You can take a side trip to Hall's Harbour - you will see extreme low tides here (www.halls-harbour.ca). You can also experience a lobster dinner at the Pound. Grand Pre is a good spot to do some exploring. Grand Pre winery is located close by. The Tangled Gardens - a must stop. The Tempest in Wolfville has great food. This is a college town so it will be busy around the streets. you can also go out to the Canning lookoff.

You can take two different routes to head to Cape Breton. Cross at Windsor across the Rawdon Hills which will bring you out in Shubenacadie onto the main highway or you can drive back into Bedford and hit the highway from there. Both take about the same amount of time, but you will see more farming country through the Rawdon Hills.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 10:50 AM

Before deciding on The Blomidon Inn, check out the Tattingstone Inn and the Victoria Inn, both in Wolfville as well. Have not stayed at any of them, but heard good reports about Victoria Inn and have eaten at the other two. Last time I ate at Blomidon I thought the main rooms looked a little "tired". There is also Evangeline Inn in Grand Pre and I think the winery has lovely accommodation as well.