RE: PEI or Not?

Mar 5th, 2003, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

RE: PEI or Not?

I am trying to plan a trip and been getting lots of mixed messages. Has anyone out there been to PEI? I'd like some info abt visiting there this summer. I am torn btw there and Nova Scotia or trying to do both in 2 2 1/2 weeks. Doable? What should we do. It's a few single woman traveling together. Thanks.
Mar 5th, 2003, 04:18 PM

I think it's doable. PEI is very small. Stayed for a few days to gold and used Inns on Great George, Charlottetown as a base. Saw quite abit of the island in 4 days. BUT we didn't get to see as much of N.S. as I'd like. Loved Cape Breton, Baddeck and Ingonish area-don't look for instant gratification touristy things, beautiful scenery. Loved Halifax but didn't get much further west than that.
Mar 7th, 2003, 07:45 AM
BAK

The PEI tourism departmenthas an extraordinaly good book about visiting the province.

Try http://www.gov.pe.ca/visitorsguide

PEI is quieter and more relaxed and more pastoral than Nova Scotia, which is not to say that Nova Scotia is a hotbed of activity.

I think that 2.5 weeks would let you get a good sampling of both,unlessyou want to stay a whole week in one town and get to know it in depth.

But if you stay three or four nights on PEI and ten nights in Nova Scotia, split perhaps between two on Cape Breton, three or four in Halifax and one night at a time in several other palces, you have lots of time to see lots of scenery.

BAK
Mar 7th, 2003, 10:52 AM

It depends on what you are looking for.

We've been to NS and want to go back someday, but don't really have much interest in going to PEI. I'm sure it's a wonderful place, but we like hills/mountains and dramatic scenery, along with good hiking, and PEI doesn't seem high on our list.

Why do you think YOU might WANT to go to PEI? What type of vacation are you looking for?
Mar 7th, 2003, 02:31 PM

deafteacher, you don't indicate how you will arrive/depart atlantic Canada. Will you have a full 2 1/2 weeks in the area, or will much of this time be spent in transport?

I have been to both NS and PEI, and while I like both, I too overwhemingly prefer NS. BAK gave a good description of PEI - think rolling green hills, restful environment {except, perhaps, around Cavendish}, quiet beauty. NS is more dramatic, diverse, and interesting IMO. If you do visit PEI, their bike trail system is amazing, and be sure to check out the excellent performances at the celtic college {can't remember the name}, and enjoy a lobster supper at St. Anns, complete with dinner music.
May 11th, 2003, 01:31 PM

Hello,

I grew up in the Maritimes (lived in each of the provinces including Newfoundland). PEI is a good place to relax.

If you're interested, The Beach House is a great bed and breakfast in French River. It is located amongst fields with a beutiful view of the ocean and there is a quiet beach just a 2 minute walk down a red dirt road. It's also a short drive to New London and Cavendish.

Having an enjoyable visit in both PEI and NS over 2 1/2 weeks is possible.

Depending on the nature of your trip, you may want to spend more time in Nova Scotia.

Enjoy your trip!
May 11th, 2003, 01:33 PM

oops... that was supposed to be 'beautiful'...
May 12th, 2003, 12:37 PM

As a local, I must say PEI is nice, but I think NS and NB are better, more to see. Pei can be done in a few days. Mostly I find it to be a tourist trap.
May 22nd, 2003, 11:54 AM

That is excellent time for both Provinces. 2 days is more than enough for little PEI. Go to www.gov.ns.ca and request the Doers and Dreamers guide. It's a big help. I've posted the text below before but I'm sure it will help you too...
Eat:
Bluenose in Halifax near Ferry Terminal. Great chowder and rice pudding. It's a greasy spoon.
Pizza - Thomasinos in South End or Salvatores in North End.
Ritzy - Bish in Bishop's Landing or Cafe Chianti (really good and reasonable lunches)
Italian Gourmet (lunch) Doyle Street behind Spring Garden Road (which is the main boutique strip).
Birmingham Bar and Grill on Spring Garden Road.
There is a great area by the Ferry Terminal that serves tons of food and within it (on the water side, to the right) is a great micro brewery.

Early Saturday morning till noon there is a great farmer's market in Halifax, end of Hollis or Lower Water Street. In the Brewery.

The Two Great Pubs (really NS music)
the Lower Deck - a must!
The Old Triangle

Wander around Heritage Properties - the Ferry Terminal area.
Neptune Theater plays are great.

McNab's island for a good hike.

Pier 21 definite spot to go to...was the landing spot for immigrants.

Shopping Malls:
Mic Mac Mall in Dartmouth or Halifax Shopping Centre.
or for large outlet like stores go to Bayers Lake - only if you have a car and never in rush hour or Sat am!

Drive out to Peggy's Cove...30-40 min and well worth the trip. But don't eat out there. Tourist traps and bad food!

Point Pleasant Park and the Public Gardens in Halifax are both great.

If you have time, drive the 60 min to Wolfville. Sweet area. or 2 hours to Lunenburg, very quaint. They are on opposite shores. Both are easy day trips and are very easy to find! Just go straight once on the highway...anyone can point the way. If you are going to Peggy's Cove, Lunenburg would be easy to get to from there.

In Dartmouth, there is an area called Eastern Passage. Not classy but they have a gorgeous boardwalk around the water and you can get really fresh lobster and awesome Fish and Chips (at the Crick). Don't eat at Boondocks. If you are a clams and chips lover, go to this dive in Dartmouth called John's lunch...actually get take out from there and you could drive 10 min to the boardwalk and eat with nice scenery! There is a golf course neat there called Hartlen Point. Pretty that way.

so long as heights don't bother you, be sure to hit the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton.

enjoy!