Nova Scotia Itinerary Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love some input. Traveling in August and here's where I am so far: 2 nights Halifax. On to PEI for 3 nights. On to Beddeck for 2 nights. On to Margaree for one night or Dingwall (Markland Coastal Resort?) At this point, I need one more night before going back to Halifax for one night and then departing. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 12:44 PM

Hello,

While in Nova Scotia I highly recommend you see Peggy's Cove and Lunenberg - both lovely as I recall. Also, when in Halifax be sure to check out the citadel! Its been years since I was in NS but I have fond memories of these places.

Cheers,

Murphy
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 01:14 PM

Is one correct in assuming this implies flying into Halifax to begin and end???

I think I would omit the night in Dingwall and just keep Baddeck as your base, with the trip around the Cabot Trail to happen between night one and night two at Baddeck.

That would save a night to be spent elsewhere, perhaps put together with the stray night to make something more of your trip.

(skipping around a bit now)

As for three nights on PEI... I think I would cut PEI to 2 nights and maybe spend a night in/near Moncton, NB to see "Hopewell Cape" both at high tide and at low tide. (low tide if you can only do one)

Also, a personal suggestion to you is that when going from Halifax toward PEI... at Truro you should turn off and take Highway #2 along the shore of the Minas Basin out to Parrsboro, and then UP the hill toward Springhill and beyond. (pretty amazing that, during any given day, as much water flows between Parrsboro and Scotts Bay/Cape Split {on the other side} as flows through ALL of the rivers on earth PUT TOGETHER during the same day.

My visions (and my attempt at following your visions)

Night

#1 Halifax
#2 Halifax
#3 Moncton area - I say
#4 PEI
#5 PEI
#6 BADDECK (after 320 miles that day)
#7 BADDECK (after cabot trail)

#8 & #9 Play by ear, shooting for somewhere not terribly far from Wolfville, NS (some people like Annapolis Royal, NS) Maybe take a hike out to Cape Split {the point in the middle of the Minas Channel out there} (it's 2 1/2 hours each way, FYI)

A good strategy would be to NOT commit yourself to night #8 anywhere in particular, beCAUSE of the very real chance that FOG will destroy your chance to see the Cabot Trail in optimum conditions. It never hurts to have a whole day in reserve to 'write-off' to FOG when in the Maritimes.

Also, at some point the coastal areas of Peggy's Cove and Lunenburg should be visited. You have to go through the routine of eating at the restaurant by the Peggy's Cove lighthouse - it doesn't matter if it is gloomy weather outside, still very charming.

I hope this helps somehow.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 01:43 PM

We took a one night break from camping and stayed at the Markland Coastal Resort last September. We enjoyed it and would stay there again...nice setting high on a bluff with path down to a beach. We didn't go to PEI, but this itinary worked very well for us:

- 3 nights at campground near Peggy's Cove. One day explored the Mahone Bay/Lunenburg area. Spent the next day in Halifax - Maritime Museum, Pier 21 and waterfront area.
- Halifax to Louisbourg for 1 night. Spent the next day at the Fortress of Louisbourg. Drove to Baddeck.
- 2 nights Baddeck. Alexander Graham Bell museum was interesting.
- Cabot Trail (counterclockwise)with stops at Ingonish Beach, Neil's Harbour, and any other photo ops. 1 night Markland Resort in Dingwall.
- Continued counterclockwise on Cabot Trail after a side trip to Meat Cove.
- 1 night Cheticamp then back into the nat'l park for a few hours, then south on the Ceilidh Trail, and on to Antigonish and NB.

Cape Breton Highlands Nat'l Park is wonderful! If you are interested in driving through the park I'd suggest this after your 3 nights on PEI: Baddeck 2 nights; Dingwall 1 night then counterclockwise on Cabot Trail through nat'l park ending with 1 night along the Ceilidh Trail, perhaps Mabou or Inverness. Next day drive back to Halifax.

We sure enjoyed our trip to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick - hope you do too!

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 06:52 AM
ltt

i think pei deserves three nights. great little island (check out grenwich provincial park - very cool). then i'd add one night to halifax (do a day trip to see peggy's cove, lunenburg, mahone bay) and one night to cabot trail (maybe 2 nights in baddeck and one night somewhere else - inverness or igonish)
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 10:53 AM

When in August are you travelling?
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 05:46 PM

Baddeck is nice but if you want to spend anytime in the park I would suggest staying above St. Ann's. Especially if you are going to travel to the park several days. It gets to be a long drive from Baddeck to where the Cabot Trail starts. There are wonderful hiking trails in the park and are really worth the time. We spent 4 full days and could have been there longer. If you do the complete circle in a day it is a long day. Your idea of staying in the Dingwall area is good. We took the hike to Cape Split, the drive thru the dikes & the orchards is beautiful. Hope you have a great trip!
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 09:56 AM

If I were travelling around the Cabot Trail, I would stay anywhere around the Baddeck or St.Ann's Bay area on the first night and stay overnight in the northern part [maybe Pleasant Bay]so you can drive less and take in more of the local culture and scenery.It's awesome!