Omni or Le Square Phillips?

Jun 11th, 2003, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Omni or Le Square Phillips?

I've booked the Omni for 2 nights at the end of June, the first weekend of the Montreal Jazz festival.
I was hoping to hear some reviews of both the Omni and Le Square Phillips. How is the Omni/ Le Square Phillips for location? Service? Atmosphere? Room Size? Pool? Breakfast?
What are the pluses and minuses of both the Omni and Le Square Phillips?
Thanks in advance!
Jun 12th, 2003, 06:38 PM

I stayed at the Omni last November and loved it. The rooms were spacious and elegant, with an upscale if somewhat bland decor. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. Room service breakfast was topnotch, but there are so many good places to eat in Montreal that you won't want to order it too often.
The Omni's location is great, right on toney Rue Sherbrooke, a block from the Peel metro station and two blocks from lively Rue St. Catherine's. A can't miss hotel.
Jun 12th, 2003, 09:45 PM

Although I haven't stayed at the Omni, I can't recommend Le Square Phillips enough!

I just returned from a 5-day trip to Montreal and spent 2 nights at Le Square. The hotel is fantastic -- a beautifully restored old factory building in a prime location right off of Rue Ste Catherine at the McGill Metro stop (just south of The Bay department store). It is walking distance to all of Downtown, Vieux Montreal and the Plateau district. I'm not sure where the Jazz festival is held, but the hotel is also not a far walk from the Square Victoria Metro stop as well (Orange line).

The rooms were enormous. I'm not kidding -- the largest hotel room I've ever had. I got the 1-bedroom suite which had a bedroom, living room (a TV in each room), a full kitchen, bathroom and dining area. The room was very clean and beautifully decorated.

There is a pool and workout room on the roof, and the hotel serves a free continental breakfast each morning.

The staff is exceptionally friendly, helpful and attentive. It is a mid-sized hotel, but the staff gives very personal attention.

I had spent the first 3 nights of my trip at the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth where I paid significantly more for a room that was uncomfortably small (plus no breakfast). Again, my stay at Le Square Phillips was outstanding (if you couldn't already tell) -- especially for the price!

I would highly recommend it. I honestly didn't see any minuses.
Jun 13th, 2003, 08:04 PM

Is the Le Square Phillips location preferable or similar to the Novotel (where I am booked for the first weekend of the Jazz Fest) for places to eat and drink in the immediate vicinity?
I am aware that Novotel is a block away from Crescent St. and all of it's amenities. Le Square Phillips is in the middle of the business area but close to the Place des Arts for the Jazz festival, a bonus as I will be spending a lot of time there. Is this area as vibrant as around rue Montagne?
I am very interested in rebooking at Le Square Phillips just for the very central location as it sounds like an excellent hotel.
Thanks!
Jun 14th, 2003, 03:13 PM

I'm not sure where the Novotel Hotel is, but yes, Le Square Phillips is very centrally located and you can walk to the Place d'Arts (probably a 20 minute walk from the hotel).

The area around Le Square Phillips is very vibrant because it is right off of Rue Ste Catherine which is especially busy at night. There are quite a few restaurants within a 5 minute walk of the hotel. The area immediately to the south of the hotel is a little quiet at night since there are quite a few office buildings, but I think you'd get that at any hotel in downtown. But it's an easy walk to Vieux Montreal which is also hopping.

My suggestion is to switch hotels!!
Jun 17th, 2003, 09:00 AM

Thanks Sydney. Tonight I will call Le Square Phillips and book a room with them.
Elwood