Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Need help with upscale/casual Montreal restaurant, please.

Oct 3rd, 2002, 08:49 AM
TC

We are meeting friends in Montreal in late October. I am seeking a great casual restaurant - one with comfortable/upscale atmosphere, quiet enough for six people to hold a conversation (this is important), interesting food in the $40-$50 pp CDN range, but not quite as dressy as Bonaparte or Toque. We want to be able to wear a sweater with no tie, laugh outloud, drink wine and really enjoy our friends. We are staying near the Place d'Armes, but don't mind a metro ride or taxi to get to a good place. Any suggestions from Montreal locals? Thanks

Oct 3rd, 2002, 09:42 AM
Louis

Here are a few suggestions. Casual but nice, relatively inexpensive and good places to linger around a few bottles...

All within walking distance of Place d'Armes:

Chez Queux: 158 St Paul est. Classic French.
Tel: (514) 866-5194.

Le Petit Moulinsart: 139 St Paul ouest. Belgian.
Tel: (514) 843-7432

La Boucherie: 343 St Paul est. Steaks.
Tel: (514) 866-1515

Chez Delmo: 211 Notre Dame ouest. Seafood.
Tel: (514) 849-4061

Le Muscadin: 639 Notre-Dame ouest. Italian.
Tel: (514) 842-0588

Oct 6th, 2002, 02:08 PM
TC

Thank you ever so much, Louis. I really appreciate your assistance. Just curious, which is your favorite?

Oct 6th, 2002, 04:47 PM
BD

Louis,
I have copied this list also We will be in Montreal in Nov and I notice that you have excellent recommendations for all things Montreal! Thanks.

Oct 6th, 2002, 05:56 PM
JustADork

Louis,

I'm interested in pubs/bars where I can show up in a sweatshirt and jeans without feeling out of place. I'm travelling alone and would like someplace where I can sit at the bar and have a few drinks without feeling out of place. I'm not sure why, but I have this feeling that I have a choice between dressing up and going to a "chic" bar, or learnig French and going to a bar where the "locals" hang out. Without a doubt, I would like to hang out with the locals, but I know little or no French...

Oct 7th, 2002, 06:08 AM
elaine

TC,
Louis' suggestions are always terrific.
I am not a local; on our recent visits to Montreal, we have enjoyed dinner at:
Resto Chez L'Epicier
311 Saint-Paul E.
Telephone: (514) 878-2232

The chef is outstanding! Interior is attractive, comfortable/upscale and may be a good choice for your dinner for six. Menu is interesting and prices are well within $40-$50 CDN.
We also stay in the Old Port section; L'Epicer is within walking distance. Restaurant may be closed on Sunday (or perhaps Monday).
Bon Appetit!

Oct 7th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Louis

TC: They are all good. I'd have a problem picking one. It would depend on my cravings at the time. (French, Italian, etc.)

Elaine: Yes, L'épicier is very good, but probably a bit more expensive than the others. I didn't put it on the list because I'm not sure that you could eat for $ 40-50 CDN, with wine & tip, there. More in the 50 - 60 $ range.

JustADork: You won't feel out of place in sweat & jeans in any bar in Montreal.
And you don't really have to learn French either. Most Montrealers won't insist in speaking French to you if you're from out of town.

Oct 7th, 2002, 08:58 AM
Daniel Williams

Er, I disagree with not feeling out of place in sweatshirt and jeans in any bar in Montreal. Certainly there are places "JustADork" could go, but I think he would be out of place at a dressier place like Newtown, for example, in sweatshirt/jeans, to name one. Also, there are some smaller local bars in the east where the barstaff might not speak much English.

Here are three places that come to mind to me for very casual/more English ambience: at Hurley's, McKibbin's, Sir Winston Churchill's, in jeans/sweatshirt, you won't feel out of place. SOME places on Saint-Laurent near Prince Arthur as well, you'll be fine.

Have a blast in Montreal! DAN

Oct 7th, 2002, 02:47 PM
TC

I'm still reading and sending my thanks again for your help. I'm really looking forward to our visit. Our dinner out will be on a tuesday night, so I'm not so worried about places being closed and hopefully will have an easier time with reservations.

Oct 8th, 2002, 12:59 PM
t

topping for michelle

Nov 7th, 2002, 07:19 AM
TC

A note to say thanks and report on our trip to Montreal: we met our friends at Boris Bistro on McGill Street. It was wonderful - just sorry the temperature was too cold for dining in their beautiful courtyard. On a tuesday night the restaurant was sparsley populated so the noise level wasn't an issue. The food was very good and the wait staff unobstrusive. On another night we all dined at Les Remparts. It was an exceptionally exquisit meal. Great food (seven different dishes all rated hightly)and a wonderfully charming staff. We also dined at Chez Delmo (thanks Louis) and enjoyed the fresh fish and warm atmosphere. We stayed at Hotel Place d'Armes - a near perfect hotel. I highly recommend it. Thanks again for all those who offered help.

Nov 7th, 2002, 08:47 AM
kate

TC, we just got back also and enjoyed Montreal so much! I have to try Remparts next trip. Louis is a great source for Montreal info~

Nov 7th, 2002, 09:43 AM
xxx

Justadork: I recommend Bar Avanti on Sherbrooke street. You don't have to dressup and there's a really hot waitress with blonde hair and big tits.

Nov 7th, 2002, 09:52 AM
xxx

Daniel: I was just wondering what its like living in Montreal, and specifically in the Cote Des Neiges area. This must have been a huge transition from living in Baltimore.

Nov 7th, 2002, 11:32 AM
kate

I forgot to mention in my trip report what an Excellent Creme Brulee they make at Le Petit Extra!!