Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Much to see between Victoria & Nanaimo area to recommend driving during day? Favorite things to include??

Search

Much to see between Victoria & Nanaimo area to recommend driving during day? Favorite things to include??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 02:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, if choosing a ferry (not sure yet)
have choice in going to Swartz Bay or Nanaimo. (we're heading to Telegraph Cove & then later returning *from* Tofino)

As a nice 'soft entry'/intro to Vancouver Island (since we've already seen Victoria before but that's all)...
is there much to see between Victoria & Nanaimo? (that we'd have missed some quaintness or scenery by opting for Nanaimo ferry both ways?)

Or by driving at night?

Favorite things to see along the way?
My impression is drive from Nanaimo or Campbell River north to Telegraph Cove/Port McNeill is quite plain. Just trying to adda little 'flavor' into our longish drive. Thanks!
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 03:07 PM

If you can tweak your drive to include Chemainus, there are a couple of dozen well-done murals in the town that are worth seeing.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendation. I hear
Coombs is worth a stop, too?
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 07:29 AM

It's been years since I've been to Coombs, but as I recall they have a cool little store there - half farmers market, half craft store - grass on the roof with goats grazing sort of place...
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 10:43 AM

Coombs does indeed have a neat general store. In nice weather (probably April through October, but you can check their website) they have goats grazing on their grass roof. The store has lots of interesting stuff in it, most of it imported. It tends to get very crowded with tourists, but it's a big, cavernous store. They have fantastic ice-cream cones there, lots of nice local produce, and various kinds of merchandise that you're not likely to see anywhere else.

Surrounding the store are lots of smaller stores selling souvenir-type stuff, with a few nice little artsy-craftsy items here and there.

Coombs also has a butterfly conservatory that's worth looking at if you haven't already seen one. Not sure when you're travelling, but that's also a seasonal operation, probably closing in late fall or early winter.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Appreciate the feedback on Coombs.
Sounds sweet.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 01:57 PM

I have to share my funny story about Coombs Market. Years ago we lived in Qualicum Beach for awhile. My daughter and new husband came for a visit. We took them around showing them the sights and then we were going to Coombs. I told my son-in-law that he wouldn't believe the ice cream cones there and they were such a good deal. He said "Oh what are they - free?" Anyway we arrived at the market and it was in October at the time when they used to close for the winter. Incredibly above the Ice Cream counter was a sign "Free Ice Cream" It was their last day so they just gave it away. Whenever anyone mentions Coombs to me now I have fond memories of that day.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Okay...fits the 'cute' factor, again!

Guess we'll have to try the ice cream, then. Does it taste particularly good, or just lots for the price?
(which my waist can't use) ;-)

Guess we best hit it on our trip up island, as coming back from Tofino, I'm guessing we'd be too late for the market to be open.
Thanks again!
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 06:05 PM

That is a cute story, traveller69.

Daydreamer, there are some pull-offs over the Malahat where you can stop for a view break. I've heard the food is good at the Malahat Mountain Inn, but haven't tried it.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 08:09 PM

They have gazillions of flavours of ice cream, gelato, and sorbet. It's not just the quantity, it's the quality and the variety; you'll lose weight with the effort of trying to figure out what kind you want!
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, April! Will do that if we're lucky w/the weather.
And thanks for sharing more you guys on the ice cream/gelato break.
Yum!!

Now posting a new thread w/something else I could use help with...where to stay near or slightly out of airport area, since we have so far to go the next day. (Telegraph Cove area)