Leather factory & retail store in Greve in Chianti

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know where the leather factory in Greve is? I read somewhere that they offer tours at the end of which you may purchase (non-namebranded but high quality) leather goods including handbags at very good prices. Does one have to join an organized tour or is it open to the public? I'm hoping to find some one-of-a -kind handbags in Italy; don't need the designer name, just want quality & unique pieces. Any other recommended places to shop in Venice or Florence/Tuscany would be appreciated.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 02:05 PM

I had not heard about the leather factory in Greve and am probably lucky because my wife and I just returned from there last month. If you haven't been to Greve, leather factory or not, it's a nice little town with a pretty and enjoyable main piazza that's lined with shops and restaurants.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 02:59 PM

Hi Travel!

I have actually been there! My friend and I went on our last trip, although that was 5 years ago. The factory is in a slightly commercial area near the railroad tracks. We had to ask directions, but it really wasn't hard to find.

Once there, very low key. I don't know if it was just the day we went or if it's always this way, but the owner himself gave us a very informal "tour". It's a handmade operation and they make belts, wallets, handbags for designers. Very nice quality. My friend bought a wallet and two handbags. I passed since I was on a ceramics mission!

Buon viaggio!
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Dale! Do you recall the name of the factory? Were the handbags current
season's styles or a more classic (i.e., basic, possibly un-fashionable)types? What did you think of the quality and prices?
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 06:51 PM

Hi Travel,

I'm sorry I don't remember the name of the factory, but it was advertised in local literature such as magazines.

I thought the handbag styles were more on the classic side. But, remember, my trip was 5 years ago. Fashion changes quickly!

As you know, styles this year are extremely "trendy" in my opinion and I personally would not spend a lot of money on a bright orange leather, short strapped purse with lime green flowers. I don't care who's label it is.

My friend is quite a thifty shopper, so if she felt like buying 2 purses and a wallet, the prices must have been quite good.

Happy shopping...
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 05:23 AM

Dayle
Thanks for the info. We'll look it up this year. There's a wonderful cobbler in Panzano,if you want custom Italian shoes.
There's also a great (my wife's opinion) shoe outlet store (I believe they had other leather items as well) in Greve.
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Dayle & Jabez. Jabez, do you (or your wife) recall the name or location of the shoe outlet? I'm not one to spend lots of time shopping when traveling, but on the other hand, if I happen to be nearby, what gal can resist checking out cool Italian shoes & bags?
Old May 5th, 2005, 12:41 AM

Hi Traveladventurer,
I am the person in charge of the leather factory outlet in Greve .Yesterday while browsing on the net i saw you where looking for us so , here i am answering your questions.
Our leather factory is about 700 meters past the main square of Greve on the left hand side( if you come from Panzano,Castellina) going torwards Florence,obviously coming from Florence is the reverse. The outlet is on top of the factory which is off the main road ( Via G. Da Verrazzano) but it is not difficult to find as there is a sign indicating the factory .
This is our address: LBG ITALIA -Via G.Pastore,3/a Greve in Chianti -tel. 0039 05544720 fax 0039 055 854253 e-mail:[email protected]
The tours of the production are open to the public but they depend on our availability of the day. If you would like to make sure you take one, i suggest you book with me by phone in advance (the day before will be sufficent ). Our opening times are:
MO-FR 09.30-12.30 14.00-18.30
SA 09.30-12.30 ( Saturday open only from May to October)
In our outlet you can find fine leather goods such as handbags,wallets ,briefcases,belts, jackets. We produce fine leather handcrafts for over 20 years according to the old tuscan's tradition and our products are exported all over the world as we also produce for famous fashion companies.I hope my answers was exhaustive but if you need further information please do not hesitate to contact me.
Cordiali saluti

Old May 8th, 2005, 05:51 PM

ttt
Also wondering if the business has a website. ??
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 07:38 AM

I would like someone out there who loves Florence as much as I do, to tell me how I can get in touch with the leather shop "Leonardo". I bought a lovely little card holder I've had for five years now and I would love to replace it. I promised myself I will revisit Florence soon. However, I don't think my little card holder will last much longer.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 08:05 AM

Was it on Borgo dei Greci?

It might be this:

Leonardo
50122 Firenze (FI)
16/A, BORGO DEI GRECI
tel: 055 218924, 055 292202, 055 213322
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 11:05 AM

Glad to hear about the leather factory -- I'll be staying in Greve at a villa just outside the city for a week in June and would love any info about the city. Food, market day and shops. Thanks - can't wait to get there!
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 05:34 AM

This is why I love this site !!!! Someone has a question about a leather factory in Greve, and not only do others have first hand experiences ..... but the person in charge of the factory also posts !!! I'm putting this factory on my list to visit on an upcoming trip to Toscana.

Mondo Piccolo.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 09:09 PM

I've just emailed for a map. Would be gd if a website was supplied.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 02:36 PM

Did I see a mention of railway tracks in Greve! There was a steam tram 50 years ago but the tracks are long gone. In any case, lots of good info about Greve here: www.greve-in-chianti.com . Don't forget to visit the shoemaker in Panzano - he makes a lot of other leatherwear as well - steep prices - and there is a small leather wear shop on the main Piazza of Greve.
Old May 13th, 2007, 11:54 AM

Does anyone know if the factory is open in August?
Old May 13th, 2007, 12:07 PM

We have been there as well. My wife thought the quality was very good but did not like the prices.
Old May 13th, 2007, 07:21 PM

Hi Peyton,

I would give him a call at the number provided, or fax. The gentleman who showed us around was very nice. I'm sure he will answer.

buon viaggio
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 04:06 AM

Sorry for answering your questions so late .I hope i can still help some of you anyway.
The shop LBG leather factory outlet in Greve is open monday to friday 09.30 -12.30--14.00-18.30
while on saturday is open only from may to october from 09.30 to 12.30 .
Generally we close for holidays the 2 center weeks of August.Basically the ones around Ferragosto wich is on the 15th.We also close just for a few days around Christmas and a couple at easter.
Our web site should be ready in the next few days ( this is why i did not write about it last time ) and the address is : www.lbgitalia.com please look it up and if you need further informations write a mail at [email protected], i will answer directly.I Look forward to hearing from you soon.