Search

Jewelry connection thanks To Kathie & Bob

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jewelry connection thanks To Kathie & Bob

Hi!
Just got back from my vacation and am working on my trip report but, oof, that will take some time.
I did want to say thanks for the tips about where to buy jewelry!
You both have ALOT of clout!
I first called S.J. International and they came a picked me up to see their store. I asked for Lily and just LOVED her! I said that Kathie from Seattle sent me and the prices dropped drastically! I intially bought a 3 carat pink sapphire ring that was set in white gold and I wanted it in 18k gold. I also saw South Sea pearl and diamond earrings that I liked but weren't exactly what I wanted so they said they could make them to order. I also bought an emerald and 18k gold ring that was too big. They made the changes and I went back on my return trip to BKK one week later and they were gorgeous! I am very happy! So happy that I spotted some blue sapphire earrings, a yellow and white sapphire ring (that Lily did a good job of selling me) and a multicoloured sapphire bracelet. I think everyone was happy all the way around!

Then a few days later, being one block away from the Nana Hotel I went to Thai Stone Jewelry and said that Bob sent me. Again - big smiles and big price drops. I bought a blue sapphire and diamond ring and again it was in white gold and I wanted 18K - no problem. On the return to BKK it was ready and of course I saw a pair of pink sapphire earrings that I liked and my companion bought a tri-gold ring. They were so happy with us that they gave me a picture of the floating market made from the gem chips and Chucho got a wallet and then they gave me 2 wallets! ! ! What a deal.
So, thank Kathie and Bob for these recommendations it sure made me a happy girl!
Oh, I didnīt buy any rubies - guess I will just have to go back to BKK. . .
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 03:03 PM

Chucho,

Thanks for your feedback on Lily and SJ Int'l. I've posted some questions for Kathie on this subject recently. I hope you don't mind my asking, how were the prices? I know the mention of Kathie's name brought the prices down significantly but sometimes those "sticker/retail prices" can be misleading bec they are overpriced to begin with. Did you have an idea of what the items your purchased ( similar quality and size )would have cost in the US (i'm assuming you're from the US)
if you're buying it at a "non retail price"? I usually buy my jewelry here in the US at my favorite Asian jeweler who does not charge tax and prices are much lower than what you would pay at usual retail jewelry stores with nice store fronts. thanks for your feedback.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 04:47 PM

Of course, the more knowledge you have going into the store will help you decide how good the deals are, but I think many of us who've bought jewelry at SJ have had the pieces appraised quite a bit higher at home.

My US jewelery appraiser indicated prices I paid were about 50% of US *SALE* price on comparable stone jewelry. SJ also doesn't charge tax...so no need to get rebate on VAT at the airport.

In addition, all gold is 18K minimum, sizing, color wash and adjustments are free, and most importantly, your stones are real and Lily will tell you up front if they are heat treated or otherwise less valuable. (nothing wrong with less valuable...sometimes I prefer a cheaper stone if I'm more into the design than the stones. A cute pair of earrings adorned with CZs can be great, as long as I know that's what they are).

Also, they will send a car to transport you to the store, and will deliver all your items to your hotel later if you have any work done. So easy! Main thing was that I felt great about what I got and what I paid.

Old Jun 30th, 2007, 06:40 PM

Just put the title SJ Jewelry in the search and read what many have said. I could not be happier than with my purchases.
Sue
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Hello Anaheimwoman.
First, no I am not an American. I am a Canadian that has been living in Ixtapa, Mexico for the last 19 years. Considering this I am out of touch with what the stateside prices would be. I thought about them having boosted prices on the tags so that they can give the big drop but I was happy with what I paid. For example they made for me the Black pearl earrings - about 7mm - with .35 carat diamonds in 18k gold for $650usd. The price was right for me. Most importantly for me, Lily was very knowledgeable, professional and I liked her and everything that I bought. I think if you go there you will not be disappointed.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 09:04 PM

thanks for all your feedback. seems like SJ Int'l is a must-stop when i visit BKK. i've checked their website and they have some nice jewelry designs - ala Cartier designs. i'm in the market for a set of ruby earrings and ring. i know the best rubies are from Burma. hope i'll find them at SJ.
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 02:52 PM

My SJ jewels have been appraised at home for 3-5 times of what I paid for them at SJ. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 04:43 PM

deb---does this mean that the prices are going up at your restaurant??
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 06:02 PM

Chucko, so glad you had a great experience at SJ with Lily! It sounds like you had a great trip - I look forward to your trip report!

Anaheim, I've been away for the weekend, will look for your questions. If you did a search on SJ, you'll find my rule of thumb is that I can get jewelry from Lily at SJ for one-half the US wholesale price, so one-fourth the US retail price.
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Oh, I forgot to mention that when I went to CM I went to the Gem Gallery there. I priced some pink sapphire earrings with the same amount of carats as my ring but with less gold and they wanted 64,000baht! ! ! ! I paid around 34,000 for the ring. At that point I knew that SJ was okay.

No Bob, my restaurants are like SJ jewelers - more value for your money!
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 09:59 PM

Chucho,

where is CM? thanks.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

Oh, sorry - Chiang Mai.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:50 AM

Chucko, someone recently posted here about buying gems at Gem Gallery in CM and felling ripped off, s the prices were essentially US retail prices,

Anahiem, I forgot to answer one of your questions - yes, you can buy Burmese rubies at SJ. Tell Lily exactly what you want. Quite a few years ago when I was buying a pair of large rubies for earrings, I even had a recommendation (from my jeweler in Seattle) to request rubies from a specific mine in Burma, and she was able to accommodate that request.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:29 AM

They have a website? Could someone please post the address?
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:31 AM

www.sjjewelry.com
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:06 PM

Femi, the website will give you an idea of some of the jewelry they carry. Note that the website prices are much higher than the price you'll get in Bangkok. Also, as has been noted above, they do lots of custom work.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:41 PM

Thanks Kathie and Craig.