Mountain Splendor B & B

Search

Mountain Splendor B & B

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mountain Splendor B & B

Hi: I have used this forum and I thank you for all of the help thus far! I am trying to decide between our staying at Park Place Inn located in the town of Jasper or at Moutain Splendor B & B. Have any of you stayed at any of the above places? If so, I would appreciate hearing your comments. My only concern about the b & B is the location with it being about 35 minutes from the town of Jasper. Thanks!
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Taking to the top! Any one stayed at either of these?
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 12:20 PM

To my taste, Jasper East, which is where Mountain Splendour B&B is located, is a bit far out of the way to be a convenient base for exploring Jasper National Park.

I don't know if you're aware that the GST rebate program will come to an end in April 2007. Many American travellers are under the impression that the GST on hotel accommodation does not really matter, because they can claim a refund. Well, by this coming summer, that no longer will be true.

If you want private home accommodation (PHA) or a B&B (because PHAs and B&Bs don't charge 6% GST and 4% Alberta Tourism Levy), but you still want to stay in Jasper townsite (to be centrally located for exploring Jasper National Park), you can search for a PHA that has the features you want by going to this web page:

http://www.stayinjasper.com/html/mem....html?search=0

If I were in your shoes, I would avoid Jasper East and Hinton.

Sorry if the GST issue is not a big deal for you. One of your earlier posts gave me the impression that you were interested in sticking to a budget, which is why I've raised the issue.

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 03:17 PM

Kraines,
Mountain Splendor is about five minutes out of Jasper Park and is a nice location with friendly hosts. They have an outdoor hot tub and firepit for siiting around in the evening. It is thirty five minutes from Jasper town site but is a good location for visiting Miette Hot Springs. Dining opportunuties are a bit limited but a few minutes away is the Overlander Lodge and their dining room has excellent food. If you prefer to be away from it all this may be your better choice but if you want to be in the middle of the action in Jasper then Park Place Inn is a good choice.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 05:31 AM

I stayed at Mountain Splendour several years ago. The rooms are comfortable and clean, the breakfast good. There are quite a few rules of the house posted in the room. What really put me off the place was the owners broadly hinting for tips so they could take a holiday. I figure when you own the place you set the rates. I don't expect to be asked for a tip by the owner. This may just be my personal quirk and others might not find it annoying. It was a good distance from most of the places we wanted to hike and I will not stay that far out on future trips.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input. I think we will stick with our original plan and stay at Park Place Inn in Jasper. I just have not had much on this area of the Rockies and wanted some feedback. I am really getting excited. And Judy, yes, we would prefer to not pay $300.00 a night for accomodations. You have been so much help and I want you to know what a positive and helpful influence you are to those of us seeking information. Kathy
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 10:51 AM

Judy, I checked the PHA website. Those few that you recommended in one of your earliet postings are all fully booked for August. Do you have a few more recommendations? I am somewhat hesitant to just try one without anyone's recommendation. Thanks.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 11:25 AM

xgoa, if I were you, I would not delay in browsing through the listings at www.stayinjasper.com , maybe using the search function to narrow down the list to items that are "must haves" for you, and then contacting those places as quickly as possible. A lot of home accommodations are already getting booked up for August and September.

That site also has a new one-week Availability Report, which shows the homes that have a vacancy in the next week. There is also a daily list that is posted at the Visitor Information Centre (with courtesy phones provided), for those who arrive in town without a reservation.... something I would NOT recommend on the long weekend, August 3 to 6... unless you plan to sleep in your car.
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 06:44 PM

You may want to try
www.BBCanada.com
That website has 103 B&B listings for Jasper.
I am currently arranging booking for 4 nights in late September and there are several choices available.
I didn't see many for consecutive days available in August.