Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Are inexpensive Jasper accommodations a possibility?

Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 06:36 PM
JIW
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am starting to look for lodging in Jasper for approx 3-4 nights...sticker shock! I'm trying to find something less than $150 USD per night. Am I dreaming? Our dates will be mid-June this year. Any suggestions? I'd prefer to not be too far out of Jasper proper since we'll probably have to go there for meals...dinner anyway.
Our plan is to spend 3-4 nights in Canmore/Banff area (probably Canmore since it's less expensive for lodging)and then move to Jasper and spend 3-4 nights there. My requirements are clean, clean, clean, with comfy Q or K bed, private bath, TV, possibly a small fridge and coffee maker and in a relatively quiet location.
Thank you in advance for your replies.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 08:48 PM

Jasper tends to be expensive because it is smaller than Banff, has a lot less choice for accommodation (not nearly as many places), is fairly isolated, and yet has a lot of tourist traffic in the summer. The demand, and the summer high tourist season, tends to drive up the price.
I have always found Jasper to be more expensive (in terms of accommodation) than Banff or Canmore.

Our favourite location in Jasper is Becker's Chalets - we usually stay there when visiting the area (we've also stayed at Jasper Park Lodge but always in the off season since it tends to be truly shocking with its rates in the summertime!!!).
The 2006 summer rates for Becker's are $165 for a lower unit in the deluxe chalet fourplexes, which works out to about $143.56 USD (at today's exchange rate). These units have one bedroom, and a kitchen/living room, are very comfortable and clean, are situated in the wood next to a bend in the Athabasca River, and are a 5 minute drive south of Jasper townsite. Becker's also has a dining room in the main lodge. You can check out their website:
http://www.beckerschalets.com/

We've also stayed at various times at Pyramid Lake Resort and at Alpine Village, and have found all to be fine accommodation.
(By the way, we live 360 km = approx 225 miles away from Jasper so we're there very often).

Good luck!!
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 11:18 PM

Japser accommodation is cheap in comparison to Banff.

Take a look under
http://www.jaspercanadianrockies.com...modations.html

and look for seasonal accommodation (not the hotels). The cabins are not so expensive.

You should also consider accommodation outside the village. Some of the prices are moderate, but you need a car to travel to and from.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 04:19 AM

We went last year, and stayed at a home accommodation. It was about two blocks from the little town (right there on the main stretch, but quiet neighborhood), and we were in a basement room with its own entrance with a shared bathroom (never saw the other guests). The owners just left a key on the door, and we didn't see them until we were leaving and ready to pay. Except for when they walked throught he backyard and told my boys that they could jump on the trampoline, much to their delight. You can do a search on Bedsandbreakfast.ca. The cost for one room was about 60.00. Some of them have private baths. Ours had a microwave and small fridge. I can't remember the name of the house, but the hostess was Shannon.

Also, we stayed at a hostel in Banff, and LOVED the experience. Inexpensive for two, more expensive for a family. (No private bath, though!)
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 12:28 PM

Last Sept. we spent 3 nights at Belles Mountain Chalet which is an immaculate 2 brm suite just a few minutes walk from the centre of Jasper. We had a very comfortable lounge with TV etc., large kitchen/dining with full stove, microwave, fridge/freezer etc. infact everything you could possible need all for $140 Canadian per night. The owner Wendy Tassone is charming and very helpful. www.bellesmountainchalet.com
I would also highly recommend By the Brook B & B in Canmore, great bedrooms, two guest lounges and breakfasts to die for. Check out their website www.bythebrookbandb.com Hope this helps.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 01:37 PM

I've stayed three separate times at the Athabasca Hotel in downtown Jasper and never paid anywhere near $150 per night. It's an older place but very clean. the rooms are somewhat small as is normal in older properties and each time, my room has overlooked the town center park. That's pretty neat in the evenings and mornings when one of the local elk herds are grazing in the park. I've been quite satisfied with my stays there and would stay there again if I was in Jasper.

All of my trips to Jasper have been on ViaRail and the hotel is very convenient to the depot. It's a short two block walk.

I don't have a web address for them but their telephone number is 877-542-8422.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 01:47 PM

The website for Athabasca Hotel is:

http://www.athabascahotel.com/home.html

If you check their 2006 summer rates, you will note that a room starts at $159 (Canadian) per night.

A B&B might be the way to go if you want to save money, so if I were you JIW, I would definitely check out those suggestions.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 02:09 PM
JIW
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. We're leaning towards Becker's Chalets...they look quite nice. Hopefully, 4 nights in that area will be long enough to get in most of the sites?
We go at a slow to medium pace (seniors but healthy)no strenuous hiking-just walks, scenic drives, photo taking, etc.
Thanks again!
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 02:47 PM

Many people will tell you that four days is two too many for Jasper, but it all depends on how you like to spend your time.
If you take in the major highlights - and that includes the Jasper Tramway to the top of The Whistlers (mountain), the walk to the toe of the glacier at Mount Edith Cavell, a hike through Maligne Canyon, a "cruise" on Maligne Lake, maybe some time at Miette Hotsprings, a stroll around Athabasca Falls, a drive up to Pyramid Lake (and maybe some gentle canoeing), you could use up three days quite nicely. If you had an afternoob left over you could always drive the 100km west to Mount Robson (the highest peak in the Canadian Rockies) for a half-day trip.
Remember that in mid-June, the days are very long at Jasper's latitude, you will have about 17 hours from sunrise to sunset - so you can get a lot of activities into one day!!

After all that, my suggestion would be to spend 3 nights in Jasper and 5 nights in the Banff/Canmore/Lake Louise area.

Good luck!!
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 02:49 PM

Oops!! I'm a boob for having spelled afternoon as "afternoob" - I hope that didn't confuse you!!
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 05:57 AM

In Jasper you must definitely stay at Becker chalets. It's great,near the river . There's a great restaurant attached to it.In Banff we stayed at a moderately priced motel: Spruce grove motel.Paul
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 09:17 AM

My husband and I will be visiting the Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper area this summer. We will be spending 4 nites in Canmore/Banff and 3 nites in Jasper. Our accommodations in Canmore will be in a hotel (using points) so we are just paying the taxes, etc. In Jasper we will be utilizing the "in home" accommodations (Hummingbird Crossing) for $85 CAN/nite and they offer many of the items (Q bed, fridge, private bath, TV, etc.) you are looking for. This is our first trip across the border and we are excited.
I see that Borealis has offered an itinerary for the Jasper days - sounds great - we may use this ourselves! Any suggestions for the Banff/Lake Louise area? We are taking a guided hike through the Stanley Glacier Valley but that is the only "definite" thing planned. We'll probably spend the rest of that day in the Kootenay park, 1 day in Banff and the other in the Yoho/LL area. We are looking for 1/2 - 1 day hikes (easy/moderate). Also, any casual dining or steakhouse recommendations in these areas?
Any suggestions/advice is appreciated - many thanks.