Reload this Page >

Montreal/Quebec City Trip Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 05:23 PM
jode

Just returned from 3 days in Montreal and 4 days in Quebec City. It was our second trip to Montreal - just in time for the jazz festival - and our first to Quebec City. We fell in love with Quebec City - in spite of the tremendous heat wave of last week. We stayed at the Bellevue which is a small charming hotel just behind the Frontenac - within easy walking distance to all sorts of restaurants and shops. We went to Montmorency Falls which were beautiful and up to the Ste. Anne Canyon - crossing all three of the suspension footbridges - great views and very relaxing. Happy to give more specifics if requested.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 02:37 AM
Julia

Hi Jode<BR>Glad you had a great time in Quebec City. We will be there in the begining of September. <BR>Would you please give me more details on visit to Montmerency Falls. I don't seem to have anything about it in my three guide books. How did you get there? How far? How much time did you spend? Did you hike? or was it an easy walk?<BR>What places did you visit in the Lower Town in QC and which once in the Upper Town? <BR>What did you like the most? <BR>What would you say are "the must sees?" Why? <BR>Any great but inexpensive places to eat?

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 05:06 AM
Louis

Montmorency Falls are just outside of Quebec City via route 138. You can even take a cab to get there.<BR>You can spend a couple of hours visiting the park (take the cable car that takes you up to the top). The Ste-Anne Canyon is about 15 minutes further down the road. It's well worth a visit too (about 1 hour). If you're interested in churches, you'll find the Ste-Anne-de-Beaupr&eacute; Cathedral on your way to the Canyon. Very impressive.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 07:05 AM
jode

Julia, I posted a very long reply earlier today but it seems to have gotten lost - - I'll try again. If you go to www.canyonste-anne.qc.ca and www.chutemontmorency.qc.ca you can read up on the falls and the canyon - both of which are great places to visit. I am definitely NOT a hiker and found both areas very frendly to the non-athletic. I also would suggest you take the bridge off Rte 138 to the Ile d'Orleans - it is a beautiful ride around the island - lovely homes and farms - try the fresh fruit from the stands - very relaxing and you will have great views of Quebec City from the island. We enjoyed L'Omlette for breakfast - extremely friendly service, good food and reasonable prices. Where are you staying in Quebec City? The entire city is so lovely and very walkable. Just put on your walking shoes and explore - you will not be disappointed. Let me know if you have more questions - I am afraid to put too much in this pose in case it too gets "lost" !

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 04:50 PM
pam

Hi Jode,<BR>We're leaving in a week for a 3 week home exchange stay in Montreal. We're taking a 3 day trip to Quebec City the first week of August. I was glad to see your report. I'm wondering about clothing - do people wear shorts in the cities, or is it more formal?<BR>Do you have any good restaurants to recommend? Any other tips for both places? Thanks. Pam<BR>Thanks.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 07:58 PM
Linda

Just returned home from 5 days in Quebec City. I highly recommend taking a car -about 15 minute drive - cross the bridge to Ile d'Orleans. As you come off the bridge there is an information building about 2 km down the road. You can purchase a map of the island sites for $1, although most everything worth seeing is right alongside the road. Be sure to stop at Le Choclatier (sp?) for a chocolate dipped cone. In Quebec City our favourite restaurants are Cafe du Monde (Paris-style bistro), Entrecote St. Jean, Aux Ancient Canadiens, and Le Cochon Dingue. For a luxurious breakfast buffet try the Chateau Frontenac. To Pam: Yeas, I saw lots of people wearing shorts. In the restaurants at night I felt quite comfortable in a simple skirt or smart pants and shirt.