Quebec and Ontario

Jun 16th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Quebec and Ontario

Hi, Am considering a trip to Canada, focusing on Toronto, Montreal and maybe Quebec City. I am single, 50 ish, traveling with another single woman. We generally go to Europe and love the history (the older the better) and just the culture/lifestyle. But, this summer we're rather short of funds--the airfares are killers--so am considering Canada. We have about two weeks. So, any suggestions would be appreciated esp. in regards to the best places that might give us our "Europe fix" A couple of specific questions as well:

Is it worth it to "do" both Montreal and Quebec City. If not, which would people recommend and why?

What's a good amount of time for each--seeing major sites and time for relaxing/shopping

Would have a car, any particular daytrips recommended? I realize there is Montmercy (sp??) Falls--other suggestions?

What about Toronto-- is this a good combo with either of the above? Suggestions for scenic drives between these cities?

Any other places off the beaten path that are recommended/favorites. We'd like to get in some scenery/nature drives/hikes

Thanks for your help
Jun 16th, 2006, 07:39 PM

well its been a long while, but quebec city if fabulous- you will think you are in paris --if at all possible stay in the chateau frontenac- very worth it. have heard that toronto is very nice have not been there- queBec city is LOVELY
Jun 17th, 2006, 01:33 AM

I think you could do all of that in 2 weeks and a car;
staying in Old Montreal would give you the pleasure of seeing wonderful old buildings, it's quite charming.

The Montmorency falls is a good side trip from quebec city.
Jun 17th, 2006, 08:20 AM

If you like history, definitely plan a few days in Quebec city. I wouldn't say you will feel exactly as if you were in Paris, but it has so much character.

For the Europe fix don't miss the old city, art on rue du Tresor, shopping on Saint-Jean Street (this street has nice shops outside the walls as well), the restaurants. To learn more about the society and culture, the Musee de la civilisation is great.

For day trips, I think you would like Ile d'Orleans (could be done the same day as the Montmorency falls). In the same area as the falls, if you go visit the Basilica Notre-Dame-de-Beaupré, make sure to use avenue Royale (route 360) to come back towards Quebec city - it is an old narrow road lined with beautiful historical homes. This area is called "cote de Beaupre'", you can find more info on http://www.cotedebeaupre.com/en/index.php

Another idea - take the ferry to Levis and back after sunset ($3 each way for a pedestrian) for a great view of the city.

Have fun planning!
Jun 18th, 2006, 10:16 AM

Just to let you know, Toronto-Montreal is a 5-hour drive, and Montreal-Quebec City is about 2.5 hours. You can definitely do all in 2 weeks, but if you're arriving and leaving from Toronto, you're going to be in for a lot of driving.

Montreal and Quebec are both worth seeing. They're very different cities. Quebec City is more historical, while Montreal is more diverse. Montmorency Falls is an easy day trip from Quebec City. Between Toronto and Montreal, there's not much to see unfortunately. If you have time, stop at the Thousand Islands past Kingston. It's apparently beautiful!
Jun 18th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Hi, Thank you all. The driving distances are a help, but now I have another question. I want to go to Toronto because I have distant family there. I live in Western Massachusetts and we are planning on driving. What is recommeded? I was thinking up thru Vermont, thru eastern Quebec( 2 days) to QC,(3 days) down to Montreal,(3days) over to Toronto(1 day to drive,2 days there) and back thru NY state(1 day). My friend has never seen Niagra Falls, so that may be an additional stop. Ideas on how far this all is? How does the timing sound? Mapquest isn't much help. Thanks
Jun 19th, 2006, 07:39 AM

< I was thinking up thru Vermont, thru eastern Quebec( 2 days) to QC,(3 days) down to Montreal,(3days) over to Toronto(1 day to drive,2 days there) and back thru NY state(1 day). My friend has never seen Niagra Falls, so that may be an additional stop. Ideas on how far this all is? How does the timing sound? Mapquest isn't much help. Thanks>

That sounds fine actually. You won't need an entire day to drive to Toronto from Montreal, unless you're planning on stopping along the way (although like I said, there really isn't that much to see). The 1 day to drive home might be a bit tight, especially if you want to stop in Niagara Falls.

As for distances, Western Massachusetts to Quebec City is about a 7-8 hour drive, and Toronto to Niagara Falls is more than an hour, I think about 1 1/2.
Jun 19th, 2006, 08:25 AM

I know that the OP has only a day to spend between Montreal and Toronto, but I can't let pavfec's two successive comments that there is nothing interesting to see between the two cities go without a comment.

If you take the time to get off Hwy 401 (which is a pretty boring drive), there are many interesting towns and sights to see.

Just for starters: the Thousand Islands Parkway along the river between Brockville and Gananoque; Kingston, an attractive and historical city; the lakesite route along Lake Ontario through Glenora and across to Prince Edward County, with its pretty towns, wineries, and countryside; and the Apple Route along the lake through Brighton, Colborne, Cobourg and Port Hope.

If one is in a rush to get to Toronto, by all means take the 401. But even with only one day, a few detours off the freeway will reveal lots of interesting places to see and things to do.
Jun 19th, 2006, 11:08 AM

Laverendrye, I did say that the Thousand Islands were apparently very nice and worth a visit. But as someone living in Montreal with family in Southern Ontario, I do the drive 5-6 times a year and I find it boring. Granted, we stay on the 401 and simply don't have time to get off and explore. Maybe I'm not the best person to be giving advice for this route!
Jun 22nd, 2006, 03:26 PM

We were to Ottawa for the first time every last year and I think it really is worth a stop by on your way from Montreal to Toronto.

Jun 22nd, 2006, 03:31 PM

If you go to Quebec I recommend Chateau des Tourelles as accomodation. It is a B & B and if you stay in the room called Irma you will each have your own room and a balcony with a view of the city at an extremely reasonable price. This place is awesome!!!!
Jun 24th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Hi, Thanks everyone for the help, this is great. Thanks esp. for the tips on the drive from Montreal to Toronto as I had seen something like that suggestion on the forum months ago but couldn't find it again. Will also check out the hotel recommendations--I saw the Chateau Frontenac but it's expensive for our budget and wondered if it was worth it--so may decide to splurge Have been doing more research so have yet more questions. I see there is the area called Charlevoix north of QC but don't really have a handle on what is there--guide book is kinda vague--would this be a good day trip? Combined with the falls or is that too much? Our local newspaper described some area called "cottage country" which I think is western Quebec???Thanks
Jul 17th, 2006, 06:09 PM

TWO WEEKS!
YES YES and YES
I would Do Montreal =3 days. Ottawa =2 days Quebec City =2 days and Tadoussac (whales) 2days
Add 1 day travel before between and after = 14 days if it does not take 1 entire day to complete travel then add extra sight seeing time at the new place or prior to departure.
European fix administered.