Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Am I only one who thinks that Quebec city is nothing special?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 12:02 PM
SAsa

Well, I didn't like crowds and what is that Museum of Civilization about? Everything and nothing?

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 01:23 PM
sstone

Nope-my husband agrees with you.<BR>I liked Quebec City, but he hated the "tourist trap" atmosphere, the old buildings did nothing for him, we also go to Europe a lot.<BR>He does like Montreal much better, more of a city for tourists, rather than seemingly geared just towards tourists.

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Donna

Some prefer Quebec City over Montreal, others vice versa. We prefer Montreal. Not that Quebec City isn't "special", we just like Montreal better.

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 04:38 PM
Dee

We love both Montreal and Quebec along with Toronto and Vancover. We live in the US about 3 hours from Toronto and 5 1/2 from Montreal and a little farther from Quebec. Each city has its own "personality." We also love a lot of other cities and places around the world and in the USA. I have lived in Europe and love the towns and cities there. But that does not diminish the charm of Quebec.<BR>

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 05:36 PM
Susan

One of my sisters used to live in Quebec City, so I had visited there a few times. I hadn't been back for about 14 or 15 years, and we stopped there on our way to the Maritimes on the Labour Day weekend. I was really pleasantly surprised by how lovely the city is and we really wished we had allowed more time there. Sure there were lots of tourists, but it was beautiful. Now Montreal ..... I go there quite often on business - it's certainly much improved from the days when businesses were leaving in droves, but it's not one of my favourite cities. But that's just my opinion - thank goodness we're all different!

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Louis

Best thing about Quebec City is that it's less than one hour away from Baie St-Paul.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 05:57 PM
Daniel Williams

I'm definitely on the team that disagrees with you that Quebec City is nothing special. On a North American scale, Quebec is one of two major cities on the continent where French is still a lingua franca. That in itself makes the city stand out. I think even Europeans used to historical streets and architecture might appreciate the unique sense that the city evokes of New France and its seigneuries (Parc de Coulonge!) and might enjoy the unique French (different from Montreal even) spoken on the streets. Also, architecturally, in my mind, there's nothing quite like Quebec City in North America. The views of the river and hills in the distance I find gorgeous and stir a sense of peacefulness within me, but perhaps are not as emotionally evocative as other places to some people I'll admit. <BR><BR>In response to people that feel the city is nothing more than a tourist trap: While I'll agree there are "tourist trap" areas, I think some exploring will show you that Quebec is still a real lived-in urban center, and has many beautiful period homes lovingly maintained by proud residents, sometimes only a little way out of the beaten path. Often I find the architecture off the beaten path is as nice as that on it!

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 05:02 AM
Billy

Why there are so many chimnies on the middle Quebec city polluting this 'clear' air? What plants, factories are there? If you visited did you see them? Or did you ignore their presence, Mr. Williams? Any views from the uppr town to the river is obstructed by many silos.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 06:15 AM
Traveler

Billy<BR>Most of the old buildings (hotels, restaraurants etc) have CHIMNEYS because they still use their fireplaces. What silos? I have never noticed that the views were blocked anywhere in Quebec City by "silos"

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 11:15 AM
Billy

Dear Traveller<BR>I am not talking about CHIMNEYS on the roofs of the buidings, they are soewhat charming. What I had in mind were those huge, tall CHIMNEYS belonging to some factories that spit out lots of polution. Thay are there in Quebec city. And some huge containairs that look like giant silos right on the edge of the river. Thay look so ugly. I guess we all see or do not see what we chose

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 02:25 PM
Daniel Williams

These pollution-belching chimneys are not something that are particularly coming to mind, Billy, sorry. I do remember a number of pleasant river vistas however, from Place Dufferin, the Plains of Abraham, rue de l'Eglise in Sillery and the Parc Bois de Coulonge. I don't remember chimneys or silos and definitely disagree that "any view from the upper town to the river is obstructed by them", but I'll take your word that they're there.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 03:31 PM
Dee

Are you sure you were in Quebec City when you saw these chiminies. I am sure the area has industrail chiminies, but I sure don't remember any blocking my views or even in my views from old town or upper town. Where were they? I do remember some ugly grain elevators across the river from vieux port in Montreal. But they weren't obstructing my view.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 04:13 AM
Bobbie

If you go to the Citadel and look down to the left of the Frontenec you will see them

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 06:02 AM
Traveler

That is funny, maybe you are right Billy, we see what we want to.<BR>I have absolutely NO memory of industrial smokestacks of any kind in Quebec. We stayed at the Frontenac. At least I still remember that

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 07:20 AM
zootsi

This is getting a little silly - Quebec City is a medium sized city. All cities have some kind of industry, power plants, etc. If you look hard enough, you will see the smokestacks in any city, be it Quebec, San Francisco, or Paris. That being said, these unsightly blemishes on the landscape are certainly not something that dominates your view when enjoying Quebec City. The 'old' part of the city, which is where nearly everyone visits, is very picturesque, with no signs of dirty industry nearby. The rest of the city, however is just like any other city, complete with grimy factories, blue collar neighborhoods, and busy highways - it's not Disneyworld, but the real world. As for the original question - Quebec City is quite special indeed; as close to France as you can get without crossing the Atlantic, and a great place to spend a few days.