Montreal or Quebec City?

Oct 14th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Montreal or Quebec City?

We'll be driving up from NH for a long weekend. Which would you recommend we go to if we only have time to really explore one city? What are the must-sees and dos?

Thanks!
Oct 14th, 2008, 07:19 PM

Hi eco2 - What kinds of things do you like to do and see? What are your interests? That will influence which city would be better for a first time fast visit.
Oct 14th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Hi. Usually we're up for anything outdoorsy, but obviously, that's not why we are visiting the area. We'd like to check out the city. I'd like to see beluga whales if we went to Quebec City. I haven't had time to do research so I am not sure what the options are in each area, but we are young and active and up for anything. Good food (vegetarian) and wine are pluses too!

Also, can I re-enter the US with my driver's license and birth certificate? My passport just expired!

Thanks!
Oct 14th, 2008, 08:14 PM

Birth certificate with a drivers licence is fine as long as you're driving across the border. (Flying across the border is another matter!)

The good ol' Quebec City vs. Montreal debate. Ahhhh.

Here's a response I wrote earlier in the year:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...9&tid=35103422
Oct 15th, 2008, 08:59 AM

This question comes up nearly every month. If you do a search back, you'll see lots of input on this. In a nutshell - choose Quebec City for scenic beauty, and a real feeling of being in a very old French fortified city. QC is totally unique. The surrounding countryside is also very scenic. Choose Montreal for a big city experience, but with a European flair. Dining and shopping in Montreal are world class, and the city is a real melting pot of world cultures.
We also live in NH, and visit Montreal several times a year, and QC every few years. We love both cities, but there is much more to see and do in Montreal.
Oct 15th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I'll have to talk to my husband but I think a romantic weekend in Quebec City sounds nice. Plus, I'd love to try to check out the falls and look for beluga whales! Anyone know if you can actually see beluga whales around QC?
Oct 15th, 2008, 12:44 PM

You have to drive to Tadoussac to see belugas. Even then, nothing is garanteed. They aren't captive animals.

MTL is a big cosmopolitan city while QC is small and homogeneous. I like to say MTL has more things to do while QC has more to see. The countryside of QC is definately nicer than MTL's. The Charlevoix region, which you would go through on your way to Tadoussac, has some of the most interesting landscape in Quebec.

I'm a bit baised since I grew up in QC and I'm an outdoor kinda guy.
Oct 15th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Wow, I had no idea I'd have to go that far to see belugas - how disappointing!
Oct 16th, 2008, 08:11 AM

My wife and I definitely prefer Quebec City. Reasons - Smaller, more managable, more French.
Montreal is great too.
Oct 30th, 2008, 06:18 AM

I would definitely choose Quebec City over Montreal. Quebec is very unique and walking friendly. I have been there twice and will always try to book another weekend whenever I get the chance. I stayed in the lower town at a great place called Auberge St. Antoine. It was one the best little hotels I have ever stayed at. The service and atomsphere is very enchanting. A romantic weekend here is sure to be pleasurable. The surrounding restaurants are really great we had very good recommendations from the hotel. There is plenty of shopping and strolling in the surrounding area and the upper town is only a venicular away. Have fun!!
Oct 30th, 2008, 07:06 AM

We once drove up to the Saguenay-St. Lawrence Marine Park as a day trip out of Quebec City - it took a full day with a stops for lunch, shopping and sightseeing, but was pleasant and doable. And - we did see Belugas and Minke whales from the shore. There were whale-watching boat tours offered but we hadn't planned this and it didn't fit our one day schedule. Now this was in August so the drive was scenic and it was a good time to view the whales. I believe there is seasonality to whale-watching which you should research. Also the drive might be prettier when either the leaves are on the trees, or the hills and forests are snow-covered (as opposed to the rather grey leaflessness of late fall).
In Quebec City, you will want to target the "Vieux Quebec" "Old" Walled City section which is the historic district - cobblestone streets and alleys lined with shops, cafes, restaurants and small inns.