Montreal Boutique Hotel recommendations

Apr 3rd, 2011, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Montreal Boutique Hotel recommendations

We're travelling from Australia (via Fall Foliage drive from Albany NY) to Montreal in early October to board a cruise from Montreal to NYC.
We're seeking a recommendation for Boutique Hotel in Montreal for 2 nights - 4 to 5 stars preferred (given current strength AUD to USD)
Apr 4th, 2011, 01:46 AM

www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showtopic=50656&

usually pick up the Chateau Champlain bidding priceline.com

from $69 or so up to $100 in peak season.

booking.com will have other good options with reviews

at discounts for lots more.
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:44 PM

I always recommend Le Saint-Sulpice in Old Montreal. It's a lovely suite hotel in an excellent location. Here's the website:
www.lesaintsulpice.com
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:29 AM

Another suggestion in Old Montreal is Hotel Place D'Armes very close to Notre Dame and the Metro. Great location, wonderful rooms with beautiful decor, fireplace, exposed brick walls, very romantic. I spent three nights there recently and couldn't have been more pleased. hotelplacedarmes.com
Apr 10th, 2011, 12:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you - much appreciated
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:06 PM

A beautiful, but somewhat pricey 5-star is the Hotel St.James in Old Montreal. www.hotellestjames.com They also have a wonderful restaurant called XO - which is highly rated, and very much deserving of the reviews.

I very much agree with the recommendations of St. Sulpice and Place D'Armes hotels.

If you wanted to be in downtown Montreal vs. Old Montreal - I would recommend Le Germain, (www.germainmontreal.com) or if you don't mind a bit of a bigger than boutique you have Le Crystal de la Montagne (www.crystaldelamontagne.com) or the Sofitel (www.sofitel.com) - both while bigger hotels are very nice and the service is great, although I prefer the service at the Sofitel over the Crystal. The concierge services at the Sofitel are amazing.

I'm originally from Montreal and am often back for weekends and can say that except for the Germain and the Place D'Armes (that have been recommended by friends), I have stayed at all the other hotels I've referred to.

One thing to note though is that the CAD is almost at par with the the AUD - 1 AUD gets you 1.01 CAD. ...so you'll likely save on the exchange while in the US ...but maybe not so much while in Canada.

Happy to answer any other questions you may have re Montreal - its a beautiful city with loads to do - enjoy!
Apr 11th, 2011, 07:06 PM

Maybe Mbt Shoes all of us will need it and discount-mbt-shoes-shop.com is our best choice.
Apr 22nd, 2011, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Dear Carotta,

Do you have favourite restaurants in Montreal you would be happy to recommend.Any price range OK but something that represents 'local' Montreal with some 'buzz' preferred.
Regards
Twinkle60
Apr 23rd, 2011, 05:14 AM

Hi Twinkle60,

Montreal has a wealth of restaurants from small in the wall places to the most upscale, and the good thing is that its usually hard to find a bad one. Here's a list of some of our favourites - note that as Montreal is such an ethnically diverse city its hard to really call something "local" - so I'm going to include a wide choice, not in any order of preference:

- XO - found at the St.James Hotel - they have a fabulous tasting menu and wine selection, the service and ambiance is wonderful. It is in Old Montreal in an old converted bank, almost in front of Notre Dame Basilica. It is considered modern cuisine using local produce/food. Cost per person for the tasting menu + wine was about 200$/pp + gratuities. http://www.hotellestjames.com/the-li...restaurant.asp

- Toque - a Relais Chateau restaurant - like XO is high end. It is a bit more modern but just as wonderful an experience. Prices are similar. The tasting menu is fabulous! Our preference in these types of restaurants is to go for the tasting menu and wine pairing - we actually ask the waiter not to tell us what will be served until it is being served ...its like a wonderful surprise at every plate. It is also located in Old Montreal - in front of the InterContinental Hotel - very easy to get to. For both these restaurants I would recommend reserving well in advance. www.restaurant-toque.com/en (the owners also opened the Brasserie T which apparently is also very good - but I have not gone to yet).

Chasse et Peche - also in old Montreal is considered another gastronomic experience in Montreal - their menu as the name suggests is mostly game and fish. We ate there once and to this day my husband says that he has not tasted a better risotto (nope not an Italian restaurant) but I guess every place does fusion now ...they are good, but I would go up a bit in price and go to the first two.

Speaking of Italian restaurants - there are many, many of them in Montreal - but the one I prefer these days is Graziella's. It is not as expensive as the first two restaurants but it can add up - the mains go for about 30 - 35$. Fabulous Italian wine list. www.restaurantgraziella.ca ...again it is best to reserve in advance.

Coming way down in price you have a cute "French" experience restaurant where the only choice is Steak et Frites at L'Entrecote St. Jean on Peel St. in downtown Montreal. Dinner for two with wine should be around $100 max inc. tip. The service and ambiance is great - food is very good - I like it because I don't have to think about what to order - there is only one choice! Its great for when you are tired - we usually go on a Friday night when we don't want to do anything fancy but still have a very nice supper. We don't typically reserve but there is sometimes a wait. www.lentrecotestjean.com

Of course you have to try Schwartz's on St. Laurent Blvd. - it is world renowned for its smoke meat - and if you like smoke meat you will not be disappointed. (www.schwartzsdeli.com) It is also located on one of Montreal's most interesting streets - take the time to walk around ...maybe drop into to Veille Europe and get a baguette and some great cheese for a late day snack. I recommend doing a bit of reading on Schwartz's and St.Laurent Blvd - it has historical significance to Montreal.

If you go to St. Joseph's Oratory, walk around the corner to Cote Des Neiges Blvd. and find a small cafe/patisserie called Duc de Lorraine (www.ducdelorraine.ca) - a great place for a croissant and coffee (again many other great places in Montreal for this).

For a good burger - try MMM Burger on Drummond (downtown).

There are literally hundreds of restaurants in Montreal - this list does not do the choice justice by any means - they just happen to be a few of my recent favourites...and I could go on but for the sake of shorter thread I will stop here. If there is a particular food type or food+experience that you are interested in, or any other information you would like to have please don't hesitate to ask - it would be my pleasure to respond...I will check back.
Apr 24th, 2011, 06:20 AM

...I thought I would give you a few more off the beaten track - to neighbourhoods that the typical tourist would unfortunately miss when visiting Montreal ... so good food experience + really seeing the city

- The Kitchen Galerie - now, I have not been but my brother (who is also a Foodie has and assures me its great - its next on my list of must try) - its a bit different as the two chefs who are the owners also act as the waiters, sommeliers, dish-washers, etc. The restaurant is located very near Jean Talon Market - a huge outdoor/indoor food market - and hence all of their recipes are based on what's in season. I would go a bit early and walk around the market before dinner - it will be particularly beautiful in October when you are there. You'll have to bus/metro it or taxi it - but its worth it. You definitely need reservations. www.kitchengalerie.com

- also either Joe Beef or by the same owner Liverpool House (both are found at www.joebeef.ca) - will also take you into another interesting part of Montreal

- and taking you into the heart of another neighbourhood - Notre Dame de Grace or better known as NDG - is Louisiane - and as the name suggests its southern/cajun food - best I've had this far north. Reservations are needed ...and you will have to bus or taxi it ...but it takes you again into a part of Montreal that you might not regularly see as a tourist. www.lalouisiane.ca

Well as you can see I could go on, and I have ...I'll leave you with the url of one of my favourite restaurant guides Urban Spoon www.urbanspoon.com
Apr 24th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Dear Carotta,
What a wonderful passion you have for Montreal - really 'whetted our apetite' for both the city and the food experience. Much appreciated - will report back.
If you ever venture to Sydney Australia I could reciprocate.
Regards
Twinkle60
Apr 24th, 2011, 04:48 PM

My pleasure. I am sure you will love Montreal. We've never been to Australia - but its on our list! Please don't hesitate to let me know if you require any further information.
Cheers