Magnolia Hotel & Spa, Victoria, BC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. We have reservations at the above hotel for the upcoming weekend, the reviews on Trip Advisor look quite favorable, just curious if anyone has stayed there and what their opinions were. Thanks in advance for any comments, good, bad or otherwise.
Susan
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 08:37 AM

I have stayed there, it's quite nice and the location is very convenient for walking everywhere. I also had treatments at the spa after walking the half marathon and was very pleased with their services.
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 08:40 AM

I stayed there last year and it was very nice. We didn't ask for a harbour view room and if I remember correctly, our room had a fireplace but we didn't use it because it was summer. Our room was large, attractive and very clean. Our package came with breakfast in the restaurant every morning and it was a very adequate (if not sumptuous) buffet -- cereal, pastries, bread, bagels, fruit, cold sliced meat, etc.

The service was good. They arranged for my SO to be picked up and brought back from his golf course and we didn't use them for much else.

It was around the corner from the Empress Hotel and a very short walk to the main shopping streets and the harbour.

All in all, we had no complaints. I didn't use the spa so I can't comment on that.

As I tell everyone who goes to Victoria, the Empress Hotel has a wonderful (small but high end) Indian buffet in their Bengal Lounge for $28 pp. We went on Friday night and there was jazz as well as the buffet.
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks NWWanderer & goddesstogo! I was feeling OK after reading the reviews on TA but it's always more encouraging to pose a question here and get feedback. Thanks for taking the time and passing along recommendations.
S
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 07:31 AM

hi there even tho i live in Victoria I have spent a night or 2 at the Magnolia. It's lovely. Sanuk the restaurant in the hotel is great : pan asian cuisine. Vin Rouge across the street is excellent french and beautifully designed. They had an opening party by the way that was just fabulous unlimited food and open bar. We had an invite due to my husbands work, but anyone could and did wander in from the street. we left at 11 Pm and i was told the party lasted well into the wee hours ( not the nornm on a Thursday in our sleepy town )

have great weekend
AndrewDavid

ps a walk from the Inner Harbour across the Johnson Street bridge and out the walkway to Spinnakers brew pub would give u great views of the downtown and a fine lunch or dinner
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks AndrewDavid for the info. We returned last night and loved the Magnolia. It is a lovely, small boutique hotel and we would definitely stay there again. The location is great, very nice and spacious rooms, great staff, OK continental+ breakfast included in room rate. As to the Vin Rouge, our room had a partial view of the Inner Harbor and looked down on the Vin Rouge restaurant, which by the way, was quite lively, especially Saturday night. The weekend was lovely and a nice get away.
Thanks for your help.
S