Search

Victoria Hoi An, Life Resort, or Golden Sands

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2006, 02:50 AM
CFW
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Victoria Hoi An, Life Resort, or Golden Sands

So many choices--Which to choose? Thought we would stay at Victoria Hoi An because it seemed to combine beach, charm, comfort & good breakfasts, but one review on trip advisor complained of rooms that "need work." Others who stayed in the Japanese style rooms seemed to like it. Anyone have any thoughts? Life Resort has received very good reviews, but the set up of the rooms seem to lack privacy & it's not on the beach. Golden Sands is newer, has a beautiful pool & beach but seems sterile & reviews on trip adviser complained of hard beds. Would love opinions of fodorites - you are the best!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 05:57 PM
CFW
Original Poster

Lindsey, I think you recently stayed at the Victoria Hoi An. Any thoughts on this or recommendations for Hoi An?
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:03 PM

We have stayed in Hoi An twice now...The first time we stayed at the Victoria in the Japanese style room oceanfront (others indeed needed work)... That was two years ago.... and last year at the Hoi An Riverside....absolutely gorgeous view (if you can get one of those rooms overlooking the rice-paddies)....not the amenities of the Victoria however....and if you're there during one of the few times it's cold or raining, you're stuck...since that hotel's public rooms are outside...including the restaurant. The room itself is also not nearly as nice as the Victoria Japanese style room on the ocean. So at the high end, it's a toss up. Believe it or not, if we went back we'd stay at the Hoi An Riverside again ...because in that hotel you know you're in Vietnam and because the hotel grounds are lovely....On the other hand, in town, there is a moderate/low end hotel...I think it's called the Hoi An Hotel...which for the money is wonderful....( we stayed there one night two years ago.) Walking distance to everything in town...nice pool and decent restaurant....very friendly staff...a little musty smelling, however. (1/3 the price of the other two, however)
Good Luck. Hoi An is a lovely place to visit.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:53 PM
CFW
Original Poster

Thanks, jodo. I looked at some of the reviews & photos of the Hoi An Riverside & it looks great. We like smaller hotels like that with local charm. What do they mean by a Japanese-style room? Do they have Western beds? Rob & I look forward to meeting you at the CT GTG and hearing more about your Vietnam travels.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 04:44 PM

We did spend 3 nights at the Victoria Hoi An last month and thought it was absolutely delightful. I had booked a Deluxe Seaside room with vietnamstay.com for US$120 night, including breakfast. (The rate on the hotel's website without breakfast is 165.) We planned to put in an extra bed for our daughter, for which we knew there would be an additional charge. My husband was meeting us there and he arrived first. He was shown the room I had booked and then was offered an upgrade to a Deluxe Beachfront Japanese style room (it was actually like a little house) for $25 per night and he grabbed it. (The hotel's website rate for that room without bfst is 205.)

I never saw the original room that I had booked but my husband pointed out the location. It was on the second floor of a building behind the one where we ened up, so it would have had a sea view, but was set back from the beach.
I loved the Japanese beachfront room. It was very spacious and decorated in immaculate Japanese style (black and white, with accents of red, soji screens, low tables, futon style couch) but with very comfortable Western beds. It had its own little courtyard entrance, which gave a nice sense of privacy. From the deck, you could step directly onto the beach. At $145 a night I thought it was a bargain. (We did pay 30 dollars a night additional for the extra bed and bfst for my daughter.)

The town is an easy 10 min, $3 taxi ride away. The resort is low rise and sprawls along the beach, which is lovely for walking. Nice pool and lots of watersports available.

We had dinner the first night at the hotel. It was a buffet of both Western and "Hoi An" style dishes. It was a nice introduction to some of the speciality foods from the area, such as "white roses" (prawn stuffed dumplings) and cao lau (noodles and roasted pork dish). Not over the top fabulous, but very good and a pleasant table on the terrace.
Breakfast was in the same place the next morning and could be eaten indoors or our. Big buffet with all the standards, plus eggs and pancakes cooked to order, etc.
We ate out the next two nights. The second night we ate at Brothers Cafe in town, which I highly recommend. Stunning old villa with tables out the back, right on the river. Food was outstanding! We liked it so much we ate the next night at their sister restaurant, which I can't remember the name of, but it's less than a km from the Victoria, on the road into town.

I would go back to the Victoria any time. For that price I think it beats many of the Thai beach resorts and the nearby combo of restaurants and shopping makes it great destination.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:12 PM

Yes, Lindsey is right...the Japanese style room at the Victoria (with a little front entry garden of its very own) is very very nice. Some of the other rooms, not on the water, however, are several steps down from that (we were originally assigned one of those rooms (called it beachfront but it was really second tier and very small and uncharming.) So if you're going to go to the Victoria, I would strongly suggest the beachfront Japanese style. The Hoi An Riverside has gorgeous views of the rice paddies, complete with water buffalo....and fishermen passing by your room. That being said, the room itself is not very charming. (three things sell a place, however).
Look forward to the Ct GTG this month!