Search

lunch in Ottawa

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2003, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lunch in Ottawa

I'll be in Ottawa, actually in Kanata, and am looking for a nice place for lunch. Can anyone recommend something nice, perhaps small and intimate in Kanata.
Thanks for any help.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 03:53 PM

I'm afraid small and intimate doesnt describe dining in Kanata really. This is a wasteland of chains and fast food. Jack Astor's LOUD AND LARGE, Kelsey's, roadhouse and boring, and all the other usual supsects....

However, the two that possibly come close to being smaller (not necessarily more intimate) would be Fratelli's, (Italian food obviously) in the Signature Plaza, at Terry Fox and Campeau Drives, and Issac's, Mediterranean food they say, although I have never been, but do know that it is smaller and cozier, located at Hazeldean and Castlefrank Roads. Both of these are in malls, yes, one a strip mall with Burger King as its anchor, the other a larger strip mall with the Beer Store, Dairy Queen and Market Fresh.

Do I sound jaded?, yes I know, but fine dining is not a thing present in Kanata. There is also a steak place, cant think of the name of it now, but a chain out of Quebec nonetheless, done in dark woods and brass railings type of place, darker ambience and perhaps considered by some to be more intimate. But no, its not small. Its located in the Centrum Shopping Centre, again a huge mall with tons of big box stores at Campeau and Terry Fox Drives. If you are interested I'll think up the name of it.
All are within 5-10 minutes of wherever you may be in Kanata. If you are staying at the Holiday Inn by chance, most are within two minutes. One even walkable. When are you coming? I think Issac's is closed Mondays for lunch.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Sherry,
Thanks so much for the prompt reply.
I kind of figured it would be stretching it to find something in Kanata, but was hopeful!
The steak house might be good. It sounds similar to The Keg. Would you agree? If you don't mind I'd love the name of it. It might be our best bet.
We simply don't have the time to go downtown. We'll be there next week, but not on Monday.
I also heard there was a great Irish Pub, if we decide to go that route. Any info on it?
Thanks..
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 04:23 PM

The Irish Pub would be, I assume, O'Connors, again located in that same strip mall called the Centrum Plaza, actually same locale as the steak place. Yes, kinda Keg style I guess you would say, although I think a little nicer in fact. There are a few other Irish Pubs but I doubt anyone was raving about them . O'Connors is fairly new and popular.
I will look around for the steak name, on the tip of my tongue but cant get it.
Fratelli's, if you like or want Italian, is actually very nice with good food, maybe I was too discouraging earlier, after all this is lunch! I have eaten both lunch and dinner there and been quite happy. The steak place, I have only had dinner there a few times. The Baton Rouge! Thats the name of it. To get to either it or O'Connors, they are located at the far end of the maze called Centrum Plaza. Outside dining is available at all three I ahve mentioned, I believe for lunch as well. See, I'm feeling more positive about your luncheon experience already .
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Sherry,
I've just been reading some reviews for Fratelli's and they are all good. It does sound really nice. But then I love steak too!! Who knew I'd actually have to make a choice in Kanata!! Steak or Italian.
O'Connor's is the pub I was thinking of, but don't think we really want to do the pub thing. BUt someone had suggested it.
Thanks so much. I'll post when we get back with a 'review'!!
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 07:20 PM

OK, in order of preference of MINE, all other influences aside, ie: your friends recommendations: 1) Fratelli's, 2) Baton Rouge, 3) O'Connors.(And it wouldnt even be on my list)

Why? Well I have eaten lunch and dinner at O'Connors and truly dont see the attraction to the food. Lunch was just short of being terrible and the dinner was only passable on a very busy Friday evening, loud, lousy service and not so great food. So it would be off my list for sure. Baton Rouge, well nothing really different about it, a chain steak house, so nothing overly inspiring to me ( and I'm a steak lover too). Fratelli's is my top pick because the food is good, the atmosphere, although not intimate, is smaller, less bustle and feeling of a production line luncheon place. Its really quite nice, the service is usually good and the food all times I have dined there has been above average. Evenings are cozier certainly, but lunches are fine too. Fratelli's actaully has another location downtown and when they opened in Kanata they immediately were a hit, both with newcomers and those who used to frequent the downtown location. Plus they were the first "real" restaurant, other than chains where you could actually think you werent eating in suburbia. Just make sure you're back is to the door! Otherwise you look out to the parking lot, and there is no mistaking you are in suburbia then!
Ask for one of the booths in the back. Round table style, a little cozier and private. Enjoy.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Oh Boy, Sherry, NOw I really am looking forward to Fratelli's. When I was reading the reviews, I did read that the original was downtown. It sounds like the kind of place we'd like. I will be sure to ask for a booth in the back.
Thanks so much for all you help. I really appretiate it.
I wasn't at all sure I'd get any responses asking about eating in Kanata, so I'm very pleased.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 05:10 AM
ron

Sherry, I am certainly no expert on Kanata dining, but I have eaten at The March House. Wouldn't it meet kodi's criteria?
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 05:18 AM

Ron,
I suppose it would be if it still existed
I am trying to remember the story now, and I cant seem to bring it to mind, but it has closed, possibly relocated somewhere....
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 11:18 AM

Seven minutes outside of Kanata on Hazeldean Road are two Italian restaurants: Cabotto's (www.cabottos.com) and Alfonsetti's. Cabotto's is in a century old house and features steak as an entree. Alfonsetti's is in a converted post-war home. They are outside of Kanata, but may be more intimate and offer something a bit more unique than chain restaurants located beside 'box' stores.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so very much for your help.
I've learned that nothing is carved in stone, and sure enough, I'm embarrassed to say, that it was announced today that our meeting will now be in Brockville. Grr... . I'm sure Brockville is very nice, but I really was keyed up for Kanata.
So back to the drawing board.
Thanks again everyone. Do you know anything about Brockville? I hesitate to post another lunch question!!