Reload this Page >

living in Canada

Search

living in Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 10:11 PM
fatih

living in Canada

Hey everyone,<BR>I need a help. I m from Turkey and married 42 years old married man. I have 2 little boys. Me and my wife, we are both English Teachers. I also have been working in tourism sector many years. We want to move to Canada. Is there any one could help me with my problem<BR>I will be very grateful<BR>fatih

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Yagmur

Marhaba Fatih - I am a Canadian woman married to a Turkish man here in Toronto. Obviously you need to contact the Canadian Embassy in Ankara to apply for immigration. I am not sure if they will accept you both as Enlgish teachers, as most English teachers (or ESL Teachers = English as a Second Language Teachers) tend to have English as their mother tonge (first language).<BR><BR>Okay - I am not going to candy coat this, because this is a very big decision that you will have to make and really think about it. I have watched my own husband adapt to the culture here in Canada (and many other Turks as well). You will need to realize that there is defineitly a period of adjustment - excitement, generally followed by culture shock, sometimes anger and disapointment as you are often unable to obtain the same kind of quality job that you would in Turkey in the beginning years at least (my husband finally has a good job, but it has taken him 8 yrs, including getting his MBA - that's where we met).<BR><BR>My husband and many of our Turkish friends are now well adjusted to the country. Although one thing I have noticed in some of them is a complete rejection of Turkey - everything in the country is bad/wrong, etc. - I believe that this is a way for them to justify living here (for them everything must be black or white). I am afraid this may sound a little too negative or philisophical, but I really want you and your wife to think about such a move. Plus there will be an adjustment period for your children - the younger the better, but their adjustment will depend in part on your own adjustment, stress level, etc.<BR><BR>For work I am really not sure how to advise you. To teach any subject you will probably need to be certified here, but I don't know who you can contact about that, or what the proceedures are (the Canadian Embassy should be able to help you there - or search the web for teaching in Canada - maybe there is an exchange program you come here for a bit and some one from Canada goes to Turkey). <BR><BR>I hope this helps you a bit, please post if you want to discuss further. Good luck.<BR><BR>(P.S. Yagmur is my daughter's Turkish name).

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 06:22 AM
Yagmur

Fatih - here is the website for the Ontario College of Teachers - each province regulates and certifies thier teachers so you will need to search for the info if you are considering another province.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 06:23 AM
Yagmur

Opps - here is the website:<BR><BR>http://www.oct.on.ca/english/

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 07:02 AM
gary

Canada is a nation of immigrants. Most people in Canada can't trace there family back more than three generations in this country. Before 1960 the overwhelming majority of Immigrants came from Europe. In the last 30 years most come from Asia and many from Muslim countries. There is still bigotry and barriers to non-European immigrants but probably less than in any other western country.<BR><BR>That said I have the greatest admiration for the courage needed to be an immigrant to a strange land. It's rarely easy for the first generation but I believe your children will be forever grateful to you and it's for them that you do this. Good luck and G-d bless.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 10:31 AM
fatihkara

Hi yagmur and Gary<BR>Thanks for te answers. The reason we want to move to Canada, to have better education for our children. Right now I m working for a travel agency as an operation manager. I worked in tourism sector more then 12 years. I have lived with American family many years ago. So we dont have much problem of adapting ourselves. well I m going to send you mails again when I return from excursion<BR>with my best wishes<BR>fatih

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 05:43 AM
fatih

Hi Gray and YAgmur,<BR>I tryed to send you an e mail but couldnt make it. &Yacute;s your mail address correct or I have problem with my pc<BR>Thanks alot<BR>fatih