Need some info about Turkey...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24th, 2004, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our daughter might be going to Latvia on a youth exchange program next year, and we would like to know about the country.

What is the predominant language?

Can people get by in English? Would it be necessary for her to take a crash course in the language?

How is Latvia as far as school system and other things? She will be a senior.

I may have more questions later.

Thanks

Some of you guys might have seen this message under Latvia. She doesn't know for sure to which she is going. So that's why I posted this question.
Old Dec 24th, 2004, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Our daughter might be going to Turkey on a youth exchange program next year, and we would like to know about the country.

What is the predominant language?

Can people get by in English? Would it be necessary for her to take a crash course in the language?

How is Turkey as far as school system and other things? She will be a senior.

I may have more questions later.

Thanks

Please diregard the references to Latvia in the previous message. I had a brain cramp and forgot to change them when I cut and pasted. Sorry for the mixup.
Old Dec 25th, 2004, 06:46 PM

I am confused. Is she going to Latvia or Turkey?

I have done countless hours of research on Turkey for my trip in May of 2005 and from what I have read many Turkish people speak English.

As with any country, it is always appreciated when a foreigner makes an effort to learn several key words in their language. I would recommend she learn to say several words including please, thank you, hello and goodbye.

If you do some research you will learn that the Turkish people are warm and welcoming and treat visitors as guests.
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 04:52 AM
sandi

I believe the answers to your questions should be answered by the organizaton that is running the exchange program. The type of school, course curriculum, language requirements, housing, food, transportation, adult supervision, etc. etc. You know what should be important for your child, so I would pose these questions to the Program itself.

As to English, yes it is widely spoken, and as the poster above suggested, whether for student or other traveler to a foreign country - it's a good idea to learn some common oft used phrases; I'm certain during the time your daughter is in Turkey she will pick up some more of the language.

Old Dec 27th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Sorry for the confusion my previous post might have caused. My daughter had a chance to go to either Turkey or Latvia and she has now chosen Latvia.

I've read all of the posts involving both of these. Thanks very much.

Any other views on Latvia would be welcomed too.