Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Summer in Turkey - Advice for the first time visitor

Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to create an open thread to brainstorm observations...

I will be spending 2 months in Istanbul on a Turkish language program and then will have a month in August and early September to travel around the country. I should have a basic understanding of the Turkish language and would like to avoid the droves of German tour groups.

- Does anybody have suggested itineraries, must sees, "back door" secrets, and other suggestions?
- How far will a little knowledge of Turkish go?
- What will the weather be like in August (will I need to pack a sweater)?
- How is the Black Sea coast?
- Any travel tips?
- Is Southeast Turkey manageable (and safe) for an American?

Thank you! I look forward to your replies...
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 07:17 AM
Singletail

I suspect a great many people are more knowledgeable about Turkey's western coast where in August it will be hot so I don't think you'll need that sweater, at least not during the day.
The so-called "major sites" such as Pergamum and Ephesis are heavily visited and for good reason and I think you'll see more than just German tour groups at those places. I'd advise going early in the day to any of those to avoid both the crowds and the heat.
As to your "safety" issues...am not sure if you may have "heard" that things can be unsafe for Americans and also not sure how you think anyone will necessarily know exactly where you are from but if things are that "unsafe" I think I might postpone the whole trip!

Turkey is a wonderful country and I hope you enjoy your stay there.

Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate your response Singletail, but am unclear about the tone of your last statement:

"As to your "safety" issues...am not sure if you may have "heard" that things can be unsafe for Americans and also not sure how you think anyone will necessarily know exactly where you are from but if things are that "unsafe" I think I might postpone the whole trip!"

I interpret this as condescending sarcasm. You also need not put "unsafe" in quotation marks, because I never said (or implied) that things were not safe.

I am sorry if you did not like the phrasing of the question. Perhaps I really mean to ask what southeast Turkey is like for any traveller.

I am open to reactions and observations and look forward to hearing from the forum about what I might expect from my time in Turkey.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 07:38 AM

the town of bodrum is a lovely little town and worth some time...not far from there out in the country is a "rug co-operative" where you can get great buys on rugs...i have been there twice...even if you are young, you should plan on buying a couple of rugs for later---either in the country or in istambul..

while on the purchasing vein...turkey is a great place to buy leather goods...i have at least 6 jackets that i purchased there....there used to be a whole section between downtown istambul and the airport where there were one after another of factory outlets...not sure if they are still there...of course in town there are many shops as well....

in the grand bazaar, in the section that is called the "old bazaar", there is a man who calls himself the "english teacher"....he sells reconditioned goods which i refer to as artifacts...we purchased a marvelous russian samavour from him along with other items....he is very pleasant and we have spent hours with him....he is a favorite of embassy people...i originally found him in frommers...he may still be listed in there...ask him where to get a chicken sandwich...the best chicken sandwich i have ever had...

it will be hot,so take it slow..
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 07:50 AM

Hi Woyzeck

If you don't go to south of Turkey you may avoid German, because many german also live around Antalya.

When you go to the bis city like Istanbul, Ankara, Antalya and some touristic towns you will see many people speak your language, so you won't have any problem with language BUT when you go other places like south-east, east or Black-Sea you have to speak little bit Turkish then you will be OK anywhere in Turkey. I am sure while you are staying in Istanbul you will learn some Turkish.

If you want to see Turkish Culture and History and Arhaelogy of Anatolia (The asian side of Turkey) you must visit:

TROIA, PERGAMUM, EPHESUS and environment, MILETUS, PRIENNE, DIDYMA, PAMUKKALE, ANTALYA and environment, CAPPADOCIA environment, BURSA and environment, SAFRANBOLU and environment, KONYA and environment.

These are the place YOU MUST SEE as a first visitor of Turkey then you may continue your trip South-East and East of Turkey with Black-Sea (east).

In August the temprature would be around 100 to 140 F and depend where are you going. If you go to South you may expect 130- 140 F.

Black_Sea coast would be great temperature if you compare with South because the temperature would be 80-100 but Black-Sea has little bit humid weather, some part of high plateau area like ANZER you may need sweather.

South_East of Turkey is SAFE for EVERYBODY. Don't worry go and have fun with your Future Turkish Friends anywhere you go.

I hope these are help you

Sinan Akdeniz
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 12:03 PM

Woyzeck- Given 2 months in a Turkish language course you will have no problem, and have the time of your life! I have never had more fun trying to speak an unfamiliar language than I had in Turkey. The Turks were so pleasant and helpful, and when they realized that I was indeed serious in learning their language they went out of their way in pointing out nuances in grammar and pronounciation. You didn't mention Cappadocia, but it is an absolute must! As far as safety concerns: though there are none in the coastal areas and central Turkey, there may be some concern in the far east. When I told our guide in Cappadocia that when I returned to Turkey, I wanted to visit the Lake Van Area and the the area around Mt Ararat and the Armenian Monasteries, he sort of frowned and said be careful! As far as "droves of German tour groups" We didn't run into any. Pergamon was absolutely empty when we visited, But Ephesus and Istanbul were over run with Italians and there were more Brits in Marmaris than all other nationalities combined (including Turks). I envy you!
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 11:42 AM

Hi Woyzeck,

Depending on how good your teachers and & or how quick you are 2 months usually good timing to get the basics on the language. As stated above once you try to speak up in Turkish people will appreciate your try, do not worry if you do spelling or grammer mistakes. They may try to teach you the right way, this does not mean they fool you but they care about your concerns. If you go to areas like Cappadocia or southeast you may find people with more free time to practice more.... I do not see a problem you being an American and travelling east or southeast part of Turkey. Probably you will see more Americans than you thought. German's are one of the number 1 visitors of Turkey, mainly southern med. coast so they may travel otherparts as well and nothing wrong with that. August will be also a month where more italians and French travelling around. By the way east and southeast is becoming more and more popular by westerners and Americans, since they found out these places are getting much more secure. ( terrorism which this country suffered many years, made these regions unpopular but nowadays thanks god things are getting to normal track again.) Turkish nation is way to hospitable and including rural areas )

I had a Dutch friend and he travelled 1 month at the eastern Turkey late 80's and even than he enjoyed himself very much. Unless you go to Black Sea region you do not need sweeter or such. Maybe a light jecket could be useful for the evenings. For the Aegean or Mediterranean regions sometimes even a t-shirt is to much
Hope you will learn Turkish and make use of while travelling, Have a Greta Time
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 11:48 AM

One important tip; while you learn Turkish do not trapped to..... this means Good Morning type of thing if you are not sure before doublechecking. Someone you meet can try to teach you a sweare word and match it with a nice greating and this could couse trouble and make you feel ambarrassed. Altough its not a common practice but still know what you say before spending the word. I know few people teased this way, it may be fun within friends but you do not want to enter a coffee house and say bastards instead of Good Morning !
Old May 2nd, 2004, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Can anyone offer an opinion as to whether Turkey in August will be appropriate for a poor student's budget. The guide books talk about double rooms for 12-20 dollars a night. I wanted to know if this is reliable...
Old May 5th, 2004, 12:59 AM

Turkey is a wonderfull country which can still be done on a students budget.
DO IT, you will love the place and aNY bit of turkish you can reproduce correctly will be warmly welcomed. Drink the wine now before they discover how to overcharge for it !!