Reload this Page >

Late November trip to Montreal/QC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Michele

Hello,<BR><BR>I am planning a first trip to Canada for my family of 4 (kids ages 11 and 10) to occur the week of US Thanksgiving (last week of November). We would like to see both Montreal and Quebec City. I need advice on:<BR><BR>1. Time split between the two. Is 3 nights in each best?<BR><BR>2. Activities. Our favorite thing to do is walking around, taking in the culture of a new city. Am I crazy to think we will be able to do this at this type of year? Are Montreal and Quebec City easily toured on foot at this time of year? Any other activities (museums/etc. and outdoor activities) that we should not miss?<BR><BR>3. Travel between the 2. Should we do it by car or take the train?<BR><BR>Thank you for your help!!!<BR><BR>Michele<BR>

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Louis

1. At that time of the year, I'd probably make it 4 nights in Montreal, 2 in Quebec City, simply because there is more to do indoors in Montreal. But 3/3 is good too.<BR><BR>2. Weather wise, November is rather unpredictable. Expect it to be between 30 and 50 F. Snow possible, but unlikely. If you like walking, just bring warm winter clothes. Think Boston/NYC, less 10 F.<BR>Indoor activities in Montreal: Biodome, Insectarium, Planetarium, underground city for shopping, eating, movies, For some reason, kids seem to be totally fascinated by the underground city. <BR>In Quebec: Museum of Civilization (can be interesting for kids), Museum of French America (ditto).<BR><BR>3. Drive. Not that you will need a car in Quebec City, but it will be faster and more flexible. Also, if you want to go to Montmorency Falls and Ile d'Orl&eacute;ans, it will good to have a car.<BR>

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 10:39 AM
Michele

Thanks Louis!<BR><BR>Can anyone suggest a hotel in Quebec City that would be good for the 4 of us? <BR>We will arrive after 4 pm -- I am thinking of spending the first night in Montreal, then driving to QC the next morning, spend 2 nights there, and back for the final 3 nights in Montreal. Those 3 nights will be in the Downtown area -- should we spend the first night in another area? Old Montreal? Any hotel suggestions would again be much appreciated!<BR><BR>Thank you,<BR>Michele<BR>

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 11:23 AM
Louis

I wouldn't recommend Old Montreal if you are with your children. There are many nice hotels there, but they are mostly of the "romantic" type. <BR>Try the Bonaventure Hilton. Great with kids. They have an outdoor pool that is opened year round (there is a kind of water-lock that lets you go outside without getting out of the warm water.) The rooms are extra-large. Connected to the underground city, metro system and close to everything.<BR><BR>In Quebec City, (for the same reasons) I'd go for the Quebec Hilton or the Radisson. Both are just outside the walls of the Old City and close to everything. <BR><BR>Have a nice trip!

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 02:37 PM
Michele

What about the Loews hotels? Are those good choices with children? My kids don't need much entertainment -- primary consideration is a good location within walking distance to major points of interest plus a good breakfast!!!<BR><BR>Thanks again,<BR>Michele<BR>

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 02:44 PM
Louis

Are you talking about the Loews in Montreal or Quebec City? <BR><BR>Loews Montreal is very nice & good location. However, the one in Quebec City is a bit far from the Old City (good 20-30 min. walk).

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 03:21 PM
Michele

Louis, thanks for all your help!<BR><BR>I was talking about the Loews in Montreal. I have heard such good things about the Hotel Dominion 1912 in Quebec City that I would really like to stay there. Do you think this is appropriate with children??<BR><BR>Michele<BR>