Lake Louise/Banff Honeymoon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2003, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I wonder if any of you can help with some Honeymoon information?

My Fiancee and I are getting married February 2004 (22nd) and are thinking of Honeymooning at Lake Louise at the Chateau Fairmont.

We have limited information apart from it looks fabulous! We have found that the Deluxe Lakeside Room is $550 per night which is fine but have a few questions:

is there much to do in Lake Louise? We're not skiers nor hikers, just relaxers and eaters!

what sort of conditions and temperature we would expect? Snow and Ice are just what were looking for but is it Blizzard like or just very picturesque and still allows us to get out and about?

- We will be driving from Calgary airport to Lake Louise. Would this sort of journey be difficult at that time of year due to the weather?

- And as we would be staying in Banff for one night on the way from Calgary to Lake Louis where would you recommend we stay - again in a Luxury resort.

And finally (!), can anyone recommend any routes or thing we should do? We have a few weeks to spare if needed and will rent a car for the duration. Dont mind getting about , but would love to experience some amazing things.

A lot of questions, but all help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
AK
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 05:16 AM

Lake Louise will be a perfect spot for relaxing and eating. As far as weather conditions - totally unpredictable. February could see warm temperatures and sunshine or it could be 20 below and snowing. The drive from Calgary to Lake Louise is very easy - four lane divided all the way from Calgary to Banff; unless you're driving in the middle of a snowstorm the road should be clear and dry. Why are you staying in Banff for a night? I would just go all the way to Lake Louise - its only about 30 minutes away. However if you really want to see Banff I suggest staying at the Rimrock Hotel. Happy Honeymooning!
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 06:36 AM

I agree, definitely try to stay at the Rimrock Resort in Banff (my husband and I stayed there for 5 nights last year on our honeymoon and we just loved it, especially the location, just outside of the Town of Banff). We were in the Rockies late June/early July (we loved every moment of our honeymoon), so I cannot comment on February but if you are not skiers nor hikers and all the gorgeous lakes will be frozen in February, I'm really not sure what else you can do in the area but just look at the incredible mountains. We spent 3 nights in Lake Louise at the Paradise Lodge which we loved (had the honeymoon chalet, very cute w/a little kitchen) but if we could afford it, our first choice would have been the Post Hotel in Lake Louise (and the Post restaurant is incredible). The location of the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise is fantasic w/the lake right in front (which will be frozen in February!)but it is a very short trip from the Post Hotel to the Chateau. I do not think the Chateau is worth the $550 per night. I think you would be able to get a room at the Post for about $300 - not sure what the winter rates are and I think it is a much lovelier hotel. There are a lot of great hikes in the Lake Louise area but I do not know if you would be able to do them in February. There is no "town" of Lake Louise just a little strip shopping area w/a bakery, take-out pizza, a small grocery store and an art gallery and that's about it. All the restaurants are in the hotels. I would have preferred spending 6 nights at the Rimrock and 2 nights in Lake Louise and we also spent 4 nights in Jasper. Definitely try and drive the Icefield Parkway at least part of the way to Jasper (weather permitting). The driving distance between Banff and Lake Louise is only about 45 minutes and since you do not ski, I think you would find more to do in Banff. I think the drive from Calgary to Banff will be just fine as they are very good about clearing the snow off the Trans Canada. If you just sit in the lobby of the Rimrock Resort looking out at the wonderful views, you'll have a fabulous honeymoon. Congratulations!
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 07:12 AM
ltt

hi there. if you have a couple of weeks, i'd spend a couple of nights at the rimrock, 2 at the chateau (more then that and i'd be bored if you are not skiing or hiking) and then drive to jasper (along the parkway) and stay at the jasper park lodge.
or do banff, lake louise and head into b.c. for a bit.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 07:44 AM

Another romantic option would be Emerald Lake Lodge. These cabins each have their own fireplace and there is absolutely nothing to do except snuggle by the fire and enjoy the beautiful scenery. However it is expensive - particularly the meals.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Just wanted to say thanks for your kind words and your pearls of wisdom.

hot holidays we know about but colder ones like this - we are just not sure about.

thanks again.

have to say that as far as Uk prices and costs go the Fairmont isnt that badly priced for the location!!! it's easy to spend £180 a night in a really big standard room in UK.

Old Aug 11th, 2003, 01:01 PM

Hi, congratulations on your upcoming nuptials!

A couple of suggestions that have not been mentioned yet. Horsedrawn sleigh ride and dogsledding! I've never done a sleigh ride in Lake Louise, not sure that there is one. The sleigh ride we went on was in Kananaskis, which is about 45 mins outside of Calgary on your way to Banff, just before Canmore. There are a few dogsledding companies operating out of Canmore. If you've never done it before, it's fun! Frankly, if you're not a skiier, there are not many things to do in the mountains that time of year. If the weather is nice, you can go for walks and maybe snowshoeing. However, the settings certainly are breathtaking with the snow in the winter.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 11:43 AM

My thoughts here---I was just in Lake Louise and Banff last week. The Chateau has a HUGE construction project underway right now, they appear to be doubling the size of the Chateau. Even at 8 on a Friday evening the work crews were still present. Certainly they won't be working outside in February, but there was a fair amount of construction traffic.

If I had to choose between Chateau LL and Banff Springs Fairmont the choice would be easy---Banff and the Banff Springs hands down. Spent 5 days there last week and loved Banff Springs Fairmont. Admittedly the view at LL is fantastic, but speaking as someone married 20 years, my wife and I prefer Banff to LL. While this won't matter during ski season, the BS does a much better job with its gardens--LL looked very tired, my home gardens looked better.

Either way, if you rent a car you can easily travel between Banff, Lake Louise and the Chateau. On the whole the entire area is some of the most beautiful in all of north America.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 10:04 PM

they are charging you that much!!! wow is all i can say. surprising these places don't price themselves right out of the market.