BC fires-on my way there!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2003, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to be in Jasper, Golden and Kamloops area this time next month- BCers can you update, please.

Are they under control-has rain helped the firefighters?
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 09:24 AM
Andree

Maryann? Fishing Maryann from FLA?? I guess you dont' get Canadian news broadcast down there...! The big fires are in central BC, not close to the Alberta boarder, but dozen of smaller fires are being started by lighting in the Kootenays (BC's east boarder, near Alberta). I have a frien who lives in Canmore (15 minutes from Banff) and she tells me that they have good days with little smoke and some bad ones...Try to get updated info on the canadian news websites like www.cbc.ca/news for example. Did you find a way to fish??!!

Andree

Old Aug 12th, 2003, 09:32 AM
Andree

I should have been more specific to your inquiry...If all goes well, Jasper would not be a concern. Golden would be more in the "smoke" path. Kamloops is safe now, but we never know...

Old Aug 12th, 2003, 12:35 PM

I heard that one of the main highways in BC was closed indefinately because of fires, one near Kamloops, is that right? Or is it a secondary highway, heading to Barriere?

Crowsnest hwy 3 is still open but the fire jumped the catcut last night and is still a threat, heavy, heavy smoke, not at all pleasant for the tourist. Scary for the resident.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 01:59 PM

By this time mext month everything should be fine. At least you can't know now what will be going on then but for sure the existing fires will be finished with well before the end of the month.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Hey-Andree- Fishing MA is I- still need to know what's going on (Gad, 2 weeks ago I was only wondering where to fish!, now it's soo much more serious for the residents and touristas). We're still going to buy a license and fish where we would have time.

2Jacks- Do you know which main Hiway? I'll check out the website but we are leaving Aug. 24 on a 3 week trip and will have to watch this from the road.

GaryA- I'll hope that your predictions are accurate for everyone concerned.

No Canadian radio down here-sometimes in the winter (because of all the Quebecers) there are some news but not for now.

Thanks all.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 04:09 AM

I'm not sure Maryann, I tend to be one of those people who knows where I am going a seldom knows the Hwy # but I think they said Hwy 93. That might be the road from Kamloops to Barrier.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:51 AM

Highway 93 is between Radium in BC and Castle Junction (near Lake Louise) in Alberta. It has been closed off and on since August 4 due to a fire that jumped the highway. It shouldn't affect your Jasper/Kamloops/Golden itinerary.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 08:31 AM

We just came back from that area on Saturday and they were just re-opening Hiway 5 to the locals to go home (that is the hiway that goes to Jasper).

Since Hiway 5 was closed we went the Hiway 1 Route that took us through Kamloops-Golden-Lake Louise-Jasper. It did add about two hours to our trip but it is very beautiful. Going this way you go through the Rocky Mountains and through Maligne Lake, the Ice Fields - perfect if you are taking your time.

Even consider stopping off in Banff .. with tourism down it is very quiet there. The fires are still quite bad in the southern rockies (Crowsnest Pass).
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help- I hope it will all be over for everyone a month from now.

But we might run into something if the rains don't start.

Bad for the touristas, good for the residents.

I'll never forget seeing Yellowstone after the fires and 5 years later- still horrible.