Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

If it is Tuesday it must be Banff or Lake Louise...

Old Jun 27th, 2003, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh--after all my planning--right before a trip I always get stuck on one detail--one what if. So here it is--0n a 2 week trip starting and ending in Vancouver--then including The Rockies, Victoria, and Tofino I am obsessing on whether I should stay 2 nights in Banff --{Rimrock Hotel}-1 night in Lake Louise(Post Hotel) then to Jasper--shorter drive on Icefields Pkwy or spend 3 nights in Banff--leave out LLouise--less un packing but more driving ---etc-- yes I said that I was obsessing but seriously folks I am stuck. please give me your feedback, Does anyone else go through this before a trip?
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 09:30 AM

yes, I do the exact same thing. Actually, I'm obsessing about whether to stay at Rimrock or Chateau Lake Louise on my trip next month. How did you pick Rimrock and Post?
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 12:25 PM

Cripes. You really think it makes a big difference?
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 01:30 PM
BAK

Lake Louise is close enough to Banff that you should just stay in Banff the three nights, and go vist Lake Louise on one of those days retuning to Bannff at night, or stop in Lake Louise for a little while on your way to Jasper.

You could get up an hour early in Banff, drive to Lake Louise, have breakfast at the Chateau Lake Louise Hotel (as fancy as you want; in the dining room, or just get some pastries and coffee and walk down by the water and enjoy the view for a while.

BAK
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 04:48 AM

Dont know where Post Hotel is, but suggest if stay at Chateau Lake Louise or have afternoon tea, its well worth your time. Dont miss Lake Louise under any circumstances.
About Rimrock Hotel, its quite out of the way, considering its quite expensive hotel, you may want to consider Fairmont Banff Spring hotel, and there's a one dollar shuttle to banff avenue.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 06:40 PM

Just returned from Banff and LL. Do not miss LL. I suppose you could blow through for a day but it seems to me that you would miss the tranquility of the area. Re: Rimrock, we loved it. WAY cheaper than Fairmont. We paid $235 for a premium view and received a huge room with balcony and jacuzzi tub. I saw Rimrock advertisements for $99/night in the local papers. The Fairmont was >$350/night.

In LL, Post Hotel was fabulous.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 01:10 PM

If I only had this amount of time, I would stay in either Banff or LL, not both. They are close together, so you can make a day trip to the other one. That way there's not so much packing, unpacking. Of the two, I don't know--tough choice, but I would have to say stay at Chateau Lake Louise (unless the cost is really going to be a problem--if so, Rimrock is every bit as nice, just not as great of a location, but way less expensive.)