Jasper Park Lodge Restaurants?

Feb 4th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Jasper Park Lodge Restaurants?

Has anyone eaten at the Edith Cavell Dining room as the JPL? Are there any other restaurants at JPL that are good?
Trying to avoid tourist traps.. Thanks!
Feb 4th, 2004, 10:32 AM

Gail, in my opinion, you are asking about the worst tourist trap there is in Jasper. Although the restaurants at JPL are very beautiful, as is the view, the food is mediocore and extremely overpriced. You are much better off going into town and checking out the various choices there. Also, Beckers Chalet has a fabulous restaurant on-site with a gorgeous view of the Athabasca River.
good luck!
Feb 4th, 2004, 04:54 PM

I agree - and disagree !! - with Atilla.
Yes JPL is very pricey, and yes the food at Becker's dining room is good.
But Becker's is not cheap, and the food at JPL is quite good, IMHO.
JPL has a great little lounge with tables on the patio overlooking the swimming pool and with a view over Lake Beauvert to Mt. Edith Cavell - great assortment of drinks, and very tasty (though expensive) appetizers and lunches.
We have had Sunday brunches and breakfasts at the restaurants (The Meadows, and Edith Cavell dining room)that were delicious (and the French-press style coffe was wonderful).
We have enjoyed a very tasty buffet supper at the Edith Cavell dining room too.

Keep in mind that Jasper is a small town, and the selection of restaurants is not that great. I would recommend (in addition to Becker's and JPL) - Fiddle River and also Andy's Bistro.

Other restaurants seem to serve your basic run-of-the-mill ketchup on the table and would you like fries with that uninspired cuisine.
Fine if you like it, but I don't.

By the way - you won't find much in Jasper that truly qualifies as a tourist trap - it's not that big - yet!
Feb 5th, 2004, 08:59 AM

Add my reccommendation for Sorrentino's at the Chateau Jasper - see my "Jasper in Bad Weather Trip Report" on this forum.

Something Else is very good, too, with great Greek food.
Feb 5th, 2004, 07:12 PM

Actually, when Something Else first opened (quite a few years ago), it was excellent. However, lately it has been a disappointing experience, not that the food is bad, but we found it mediocre at best. Plus the service was so blase that I could have cooked the food and served myself a whole lot faster!! This happened to us not once, but twice. Hopefully it has improved in the two years since we ate there last.

For good coffee and tasty baked goods (or lunch), try Truffles and Trout.
Feb 9th, 2004, 09:00 PM

Just my 2 cents worth- I couldnt agree more that the JPL is an overpriced ripoff as far as food goes. The place is beautiful, the accomadations nice, but you are far better off taking a cab to town to eat.
I like a place called "Fiddle River" for seafood.