Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

uh-oh! Is Marriott Courtyard in TO that bad??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We booked a theatre weekend and picked that hotel because we thought a Marriott would be a good bet. But I've been reading that the area is seedy and now I'm wondering. Although doesn't make much diff because no exchanges! But it would be nice to know what we're getting ourselves in for!
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 01:38 PM

It really is not a seedy area. It is completely safe, close to subway stops and the Eaton Centre. My husband and I walked all over the place day and evening. This topic has been discussed previously on this forum. Do a "Toronto Marriott" search and you can read it.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 04:03 PM

The Courtyard is just fine. We enjoyed our stay very much. Our room was clean and fairly large, the public areas are very nice and the staff was great. I actually think the location of this hotel is a plus as its very close to the subway and an all night super drug store is across the street.

The area a few blocks north on Younge are seedy, but not really threatening. I would have no qualms staying this hotel, especially at a discounted rate.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 11:51 AM

The Courtyard is fine. The surrounding neighborhood is not quaint by any stretch of the imagination, but the hotel is more than adequate and an excellent deal. It's location and convenience are a giant plus.

I think the main complaint is that the stretch of Yonge where the hotel sits feels "touristy" and "tacky" and there are ahomeless and street youth, although I find Toronto generally has a disproportionate number of homeless and street youth. It is, however, safe. I have been walking at 4am in that neighborhood and felt completely safe.

It also borders the Gay Village, which probably also lends to the belief it is "seedy" even though the Gay Village is actually quite nice. It just has a lot of gay people, especially men.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 12:42 PM

And if you're coming from the USA, understand that what's considered seedy for Toronto would not be seedy in most American cities. Yonge Street, where the Courtyard is located, has its share of strip clubs, but is never threatening and has kind of carnival midway feel to it - young, energetic, neon-tacky, but not dangerous. Enjoy T.O.