Itin ?s for Cape Breton vets

Aug 7th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Itin ?s for Cape Breton vets

Hi,
We're planning a long weekend to see CB/Cabot Trail and would appreciate any feedback/advice on our planned journey. We'll be there during Celtic Colours, but it doesn't appear there are many festival events up near the Cabot Trail. We'll play it by ear to see if we can catch any during our trip. Here's what we have so far.

Thursday - arrive Halifax 10:15pm. Overnight in downtown Halifax. Any restaurant suggestions for a late dinner? Also hoping to visit the Split Crow or O'Carroll's for some music.

Friday - Head up to CB, stopping for lunch in Antigonish. Spend the afternoon seeing parts of the Ceilidh Trail. Overnight at the Glenora Distillery. While there are no CC events planned, figure we have a good chance of hearing Celtic music on a Fri night at the Glenora or the Red Shoe in Mabou.

Saturday - early start driving up the Cabot Trail. Quick stop in Cheticamp for a bite and to sightsee. Continue on, stopping to hike the Skyline Trail and visit Meat Cove, arriving in Ingonish before dark (sunset approx 6:30). Dinner and overnight at the Keltic Lodge.

Sunday - Explore a bit of Ingonish, hike the Middlehead Trail. Head down the coast, stopping in St Ann's to visit the Gaelic College. End in Baddeck, where we'll spend two nights at Duffus House. Monday - Bell Museum and maybe a boat ride on the lake. Any restaurant suggestions in Baddeck? We like good food, but it doesn't have to be fancy. Also, Monday is Thanskgiving, what is a traditional Thanksgiving dinner? Will a lot of sites be closed?

Tuesday - More of Baddeck or open to suggestions. We'll need to be at the airport in Halifax in time for a 6pm flight.

Question - the CC schedule notes an event at the Community Center in Bras D'or on Sunday night. My map shows the lake, but no town of Bras D'or. Where is this located?

We really appreciate any input. Thanks in advance!
Ellie
Aug 8th, 2005, 05:08 AM

Sounds like a great trip. A few suggestions - you can eat at Split Crow or O'Carroll's, but I think you'd also enjoy The Old Triangle (Irish pub, great inexpensive food and live music). Split Crow food is basic pub fare, pizza and burgers, O'Carroll's food is fancier.

Eat at Gabrieau's in Antigonish (calamari is very good).

Aug 9th, 2005, 05:20 AM

Another restaurant suggestion for Antinoginish: The Sunshine Cafe on Main St. (terrific food) On your last day, you may be interested in stopping at Highland Village in Iona, which is still on Cape Breton Island, on your way back to Halifax. Highland Village, which will be open through Oct. 16, is a neat museum showing the culture of the Scots who immigrated to Canada and has lots of historic buildings on site, as well as costumed interpreters. The web address is http://museum.gov.ns.ca/hv/
Aug 10th, 2005, 09:47 AM

Thanks for asking all these questions because I think I'll follow the suggestions and route. My husband and I will be doing a trip in middle or late Sept. and I've learned to trust fellow fodorites when it comes to touring. I'll report back to you when we return and let you know how it all worked out. I think we'll be flying in and out of Halifax from Boston and renting a car. Let me pass along this great website capebretonisland.com It was very helpful with lists of accomodations, maps etc.
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Hello again. Topping up and looking for alternatives in Baddeck. The Duffus House is not available for both nights of our stay. Does anyone have other recommendations? We don't want the large Inverary type of resort. Hubby prefers inns/B&B's that are smaller, but do afford some space/privacy.

Thanks
Aug 25th, 2005, 09:12 AM

anyone looking for places to stay in baddeck try thr worn door strp or the tree seat b&b both great spots in baddeck i would suggest the Bell Bouy for a gfreat p[lace to eat I can say that with no worries hope this helps.
Sep 2nd, 2005, 12:09 PM

In Baddeck I would go to the Broadwater Inn. The owners are fantastic. It is situated just east of town (past the Bell Museum). We stayed for a week in their self-contained suite. The B & B accommodations looked wonderful.
http://broadwater.baddeck.com

For meals, we went to the lobster dinner place and it was GREAT!!

Enjoy - we loved Baddeck!

If you are in the area of Mabu (sp?) go to the Red Slipper pub. We went to a music afternoon on a Sunday. It was AMAZING. The place is the size of a closet and was packed with people of all kinds. The music started at 3:00 and just kept going. People kept getting up out of the audience to play or step dance. Awesome. We stopped at the distillery on the way there.

Can you tell I loved CB???!!!

Alison
Sep 5th, 2005, 10:31 AM

There's a weekly newspaper in Halifax that has very good entertainment listings, which may help you decide where to go on Thursday night. Go to www.thecoast.ca and click on "music" and then "music by venue." Each listing describes the kind of music featured.

The Highland Village often has musical events during Celtic Colours. Their website is http://museum.gov.ns.ca/hv/

The Normaway Inn in Margaree Valley, a bit further along the Cabot, is a lovely spot, but they may be booked up for that weekend.

Have fun. Autumn in Nova Scotia is glorious.
Sep 6th, 2005, 09:24 AM

<<Thursday - arrive Halifax 10:15pm.>>

Have you priced flying though to Sydney?? The drive to and from Halifax is going to take a huge chunk out of your long weekend.