Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is Montreal Four Points By Sheraton - Centre Ville a Good Bet?

Old May 10th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In another thread here on Fodor's, I mentioned I will be staying at Hotel XIXe Siecle in Le Vieux (Oct. 19-23), but I failed to write that the two nights that I added onto my trip will be spent at the Four Points By Sheraton-Centre Ville. What I desire to know is: have any of you stayed at that Montreal Sheraton, and did you have a good time despite the absence of lots of amenities? I hope I didn't make a mistake in selecting that hotel based solely on the Sheraton name, the price (US$83.50/night) and location (near museums I want to visit and near Chez Cora).
Old May 11th, 2007, 04:53 AM
mtjt

Hi, I've stayed there twice (last time about 2 1/2 years ago), and it was fine. Nothing fancy, but adequate. Pretty good location, can walk to a lot of places from there. Did not have plans to spend much time in hotel anyway, just a decent place to sleep, and this fit the bill. Last time our room had a view of Mount Royal, other rooms probably overlook the downtown.

Old May 11th, 2007, 11:15 AM

We've stayed there about 5 years ago and It was nice. We had a good experience.
If you have a car, and use the valet parking, ask for your car like 10-15 minutes before because the parking lot in not in the same hotel's building and don't wait a lot for it.
Old May 13th, 2007, 07:31 AM

We often stay at the Delta, which is right across the street from the Sheraton. The location and price for the Sheraton are good but it is definitely nothing fancy. For a little more money you could get something with more amenities. Montreal is really affordable for a big city, even with the current poor exchange rate.
Old May 14th, 2007, 06:34 AM

The Sheraton, Holiday Inn, Delta and Marriot Courtyard are all side by side on Sherbrooke. The Sheraton is perhaps the the cheapest, but they are all fair to good 3* hotels in a great area.
Old May 15th, 2007, 03:10 AM

Actually the Delta is a four star hotel. It is significantly nicer than the Holiday Inn next door where we stayed once. We have never tried the Sheraton or Marriott Courtyard.
Old May 15th, 2007, 07:41 AM

Yes I agree the Delta is probably a notch above the other 3, at least as far as room size and layout. I've stayed at all of them and I remember the Marriot has the best pool, the Holiday Inn had the best breakfasts, and the Sheraton had the smallest rooms (but still was fine).
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:58 AM

OK here are some specific recommendations for Montreal:

The Biodome & Olympic Park Complex. The Biodome is a massive indoor habitat, much of it is a tropical rain forest, complete with birds,lemurs,etc. There is also the imposing, slanting tower at the park that you can ride up in.

Bicycling: You can rent bikes on Rue Rachael behind Parc La Fontaine, and bike on bike trails thru the park, down thru the heart of the city to the waterfront 9where there's lots to see), then pickup the lachine Canal trail which goes for many miles along the canal. This trip will take a large part of the day. There are also nice biking and hiking trails in the parks on the north side of the island, plus a restored old mill.

The lookout at the top of Mt. Royal has a great view. You can walk or drive to it.

The La Ronde Amusement Park, which is on it's own island just outside the city.

Walking thru fun neighborhoods:
Montreal has a very interesting, small Chinatown between the Old City and the downtown. Strolling on St. Denis you will see lots of interesting cafes, used cd stores, clothing stores, etc. Strolling in the old city is great fun, and quite unique. Walk along Prince Arthur St. in the evening - it's hopping with outdoor restaurants and street entertainment.

Notre Dame Basillica: This is a huge church in the old city. The inside is unforgettable.
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:01 AM

Yikes! I posted this on the wrong topic, it should be in the Montreal vs Ottawa discussion!