Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can someone please help with Montreal and Quebec City hotel choices?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 02:55 PM
Elaine

My husband and I are visiting Quebec City and Montreal the first week in July. We are presently booked into the Delta Montreal,($184.00 CDN), and are considering either the Lowes Le Concorde or the Radisson in Quebec City. Both of those are approximately $190.00 CDN.<BR><BR>I would really like to know if our Montreal choice is good, and which of the two Quebec City choices is better located. <BR><BR>I have read several recommendation for the Dominion 1912, and the Vogue but they are priced considerably higher.<BR><BR>Are there better sugestions for those two cities as far as location and quality of accommodation without paying a higher price? I wouldn't mind finding a good, well located hotel for even less money.<BR><BR>Thank you for any help.<BR><BR>Elaine

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 06:21 PM
Vince

Elaine, last summer my wife and I stayed 2 nights at the Radisson in Quebec City. Very nice hotel, beautiful lobby, reasonable room for the money, kind of long wait to check in and check out though. I have not stayed at the Loews. Location-wise, Radisson is much closer to Quebec's Olde Town. I would say it IS in the Olde Town whereas Loews is about 15-20 minutes of walking. Loews has a nice rotating restaurant on the top which gives breathtaking view of the city especially in the dusk. I would pick Radisson again if I had to choose between the two. Regards.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 06:23 PM
zootsi

Ther are two Deltas in downtown Montreal. The one on President Kennedy and Sherbrooke is in a better location. It is a good 3 * hotel, but $184 CDN a night seems a little high, unless the jazz fest is driving up the price. The Other Delta, which is down by the lower end of downtown, is not the most interesting location. I would prefer to stay somewhere on Sherbrooke. Try the Holiday Inn (on Sherbrooke), the Marriot Courtyard, or the Crowne Plaza. It may be tough trying to find anything else with the jazz fest going on. There are several smaller French style hotels on Sherbrooke East, such as the Argoat, Manior Sherbrooke, etc.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 04:41 AM
Elaine

Oops! How embarrassing! I found my post at the end of the "next " screen after I re-posted my question. Sorry for the duplication, and thanks to the responders.<BR><BR>As for the Montreal prices. The Jazz festival ends the night we are staying there, unfortunately, so I don't know if that effects the price. I just checked the Holiday Inn at 420 Sherbrooke W. (at Bleury & University), and the Crowne Plaza at 505 Sherbrooke E.( at Berry).<BR><BR>They both have slightly better prices - $159.00 - $165.00 respectively) than the Delta at 475 President Kennedy. Not knowing Montreal, I don't know which of those two has the better location, or whether or not the Delta is a better deal at $184.00 because of its location. <BR><BR>A $20.00 difference for only 1 night is not significant enough to change hotels if the location is superior.<BR><BR>As for the Quebec City choice, I appreciate the feedback on the Radisson. For some reason the last night at that hotel, the rate goes up by about $30.00 - not a big deal if the location is great. I guess it has something to do with occupancy. I would still like to hear about other recommendations.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 05:00 AM
Louis

Elaine:<BR><BR>The Delta on President Kennedy is practically next door to the Holiday Inn on Sherbrooke/Bleury, but the Delta is much nicer.<BR><BR>The Crowne Plaza on Sherbrooke/Berri is closer to the hip streets of the Plateau, whereas the Delta is closer to Ste-Catherine shopping district.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 06:22 AM
topper

To the top

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 09:16 PM
Elaine

At the risk of sounding ignorant, what does the message "To the top" mean?

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 03:38 AM
topper

This just brings the thread to the top. Last night you said you couldn't find your original thread and posted again the same question, so I brough it back to the top.