Reload this Page >

Delta Montreal hotel

Search

Delta Montreal hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 02:10 PM
DianaG

Delta Montreal hotel

I looked on this message board but I haven't seen a lot about this hotel. Eveytime someone asks, people suggest other places. But has anyone stayed here? Your opinion, please.<BR><BR>P.s. I see there are two Deltas there but I think this one is in a better location downtown.Thanks.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 02:20 PM
Louis

On a map, Delta Montreal may seem like a better location than Delta Centre-ville. But it is not so. The Delta Montreal (which started out as a Hyatt, then a Gouverneurs then a Radisson) is a the end of an expressway and surrounded by office towers. Kind in the middle of nowhere area of downtown. Very Dallas, if you know what I mean. (not that there is anything wrong with Dallas...)<BR><BR>The Delta-Centreville on the other hand is well located near museums, restaurants, shopping, McGill University campus. Plus it's a much nicer hotel, which was built by and has aleays been a Delta.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 05:21 PM
Daniel

Louis,<BR><BR>I am sorry but you are mistaken. I live in MTL and when relatives of ours came into town they stayed at the Centre-Ville Location, which was the Radisson, is the one located next to Place Bonaventure while the other "Delta Montreal" is the one on President Kennedy. Diana: The Delta Montreal I would say is better because it is more accessible to Ste Catherine St., Sherbrooke and the center of Montreal. Then again, so is the Centre Ville but it is a little less luxurious and the rooms are smaller. I would whole heartedlyrecommend the Delta Montreal on President Kennedy. <BR>

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 08:46 PM
DianaG

Thank you both, Louis and Daniel for your comments. I think Daniel is right about the locations. The map from the hotel Delta Montreal shows that it is very near Sherbrooke street and downtown. I just wanted to be sure that this is a quality hotel. Do you know if the rooms are nicely decorated and large compared to the other big hotels? I am not familiar with the Delta chain of hotels so I don't know what to compare it to.<BR>

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 04:50 AM
Louis

I'm sorry. I always get them mixed up. Daniel you are right. Delta Montreal is on President Kennedy and it is the nicer of the two.<BR><BR>Delta is a Canadian chain of hotels. Nicer than Holiday Inns, but not ritzy.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 05:15 AM
Lois

We have stayed at the Delta on Pres. Kennedy numerous times and it is excellent value, bcs it is a couple of blocks out of the "best" part of downtown, but is still an easy walk to many things. The Place d'Arts metro stop is just across the street. Most rooms have a small balcony; if you're going during the Jazz Festival, you'll be very close to all the action. Rooms are smaller at the other Delta, which started out in life as a Hyatt, and while maps show it to be between the downtown business/shopping area and Old Montreal, in fact it does make you feel a bit in the middle of nowhere. Delta is a very reliable, well-run hotel chain.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Daniel

The hotel itself is quite good. Nothing fancy like the Ritz or Four Seasons; I would consider it a family oriented Sheraton if you know what I'm talking about. At the Delta Montreal Rooms are quite large, there is an excellent Spa/Healthclub, good restaurants and bars and the location is quite good also. My recommendation would be to try and get a Club level room because you will get access to the lounge that includes breakfast and hors d'oeuves and the rooms are more luxuriously appointed. Good Luck.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 12:14 PM
Elaine

I too have a reservation at the Delta Montreal, but after reading about the Hotel de la Montagne on this site and seeing its web page, I think that I will switch. The two hotels are priced within $5.00 of each other, so price is not an issue, but the smaller hotel does seem more luxurious. However, I don't know which is better located <BR><BR>Do you think Diana might prefer the Hotel de la Montagne, or would you still suggest the Delta Montreal?

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Brian Kilgore

RE&gt; I am not familiar with the Delta chain of hotels so I don't know what to compare it to.&lt; and assorted other comments.<BR><BR>Wehn the Delata Hotel chain was started, and for many years after, Delta hotels could be considered one notch up in quality from what you would expect for the price.<BR><BR>Always good value, well managed, clean, generally well located, etc.<BR><BR>In the past few years, the companies that manage hotels and put their names on hotels, and may or may not actually own the building, have bought out each other, merged, refocused, and generally done things that really confuse travellers. Delta is part of Fairmont which used to be the Fairmont Chain in (mainly) the US and Canadian Pacific in Canada, and Fairmont is also Pricness now, and the Delta part has been entering into management contracts to operate hotels that were built fore other companies.<BR><BR>i.e. the Delta near Place Bonaventure, and the Delta Airport in Toronto, which used to be a Howard Johnson.<BR><BR>As a general rule, expect good management, medium-luxury on things that can be controlled (good soap in the bathrooms, but the Delta managment can't make a small room bigger.) Reasonably priced food in at least one dining room, a sincere welcome to kids.<BR><BR>The Delta on President Kennedy, which stretches north to Sherborooke St., thereby confusing poeple as to the address, has a nice pool on the wrong side of the hotel, with sun on it in the morning, but a lot of shadow in the afternoon.<BR>I've stayed often at both; for a tourist, the Pres. Kennedy one is the best choice.<BR><BR>The other one has excellent convention facilities, but who cares if you're a tourist?<BR><BR>BAK

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 03:10 AM
Paul

I stayed there once and was very happy with everything, and would go back again. Ask for a corner room, it's a good deal for the money.