spring visit to montreal and quebec city

Apr 2nd, 2005, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

spring visit to montreal and quebec city

My husband and I would like to visit Montreal and Quebec City in late May. We are looking for quiet, convenient hotels within walking distance to attractions or near public transportation. We are looking in the 90-125 range or less if possible, but want a nice but not luxury hotel. Main thing is a quiet hotel. Also would like suggestions on how many nites to spend in each city. We will be flying from California and have one week total. Thanks for your help.
Apr 5th, 2005, 09:27 AM

SPEND SOME TIME IN MONTREAL At a very competitive rate...

Casa Bella Hotel is a small hotel of twenty rooms, well located in the downtown area of Montreal, at the corner of Jeanne-Mance and Sherbrooke West streets, near Place des Arts subway.

From their location on Montréal’s most scenic street, la rue Sherbrooke, you will be in a unique position to explore the heart of this wonderful city by walk. From festivals to museums and various attractions, through Old Montréal and countless boutiques… everything is within a few blocks of the hotel.

The Continental Breakfast is gracefully served by the Hotel. All rooms are equipped with cable television, telephone, wireless internet (Wi-Fi), air conditioning and free parking (if available).

Hotel Casa Bella
Tel: (514) 849-2777
1-888-453-2777
Fax: 514) 849-3650
[email protected] - http://www.hotelcasabella.com
264 Sherbrooke Ouest, Montreal, Quebec, H2X 1X9
Apr 5th, 2005, 10:21 AM

Although the above is a blatant ad, it IS in a very good location. Sherbrooke is the street you want to be on in Montreal if you want a quiet, pleasant location, but not too far from the action. Also on Sherbrooke are the Manior Sherbrooke, the Argoat, Holiday Inn, Marriot Courtyard, and more east into the plateau area, the Crowne Plaza.
Apr 6th, 2005, 07:45 PM

We searched far and wide for accomodations that appealed to us in each city for our trip in mid-May, and our price range and requirements were about the same. I wound up picking a Bed and Breakfast in Montreal (B A Guest/Chez Taj) and a boutique hotel in Quebec City called Relais Charles-Alexandre.

I did a lot of research on bbcanada.com, frommers and fodors, as well as tripadvisor.com and virtualtourist.com (for reviews). Frommers AND Travel & Leisure magazine recommended the place in Quebec City-definitely check it out!

The Montreal place I am a little nervous about, but I have emailed back and forth with the innkeeper and she seems very cool. She has a dog at the inn and she bought a new house because she had run another place on the outskirts of town and her customers said she should open one downtown.

We're doing about 3 days in each city. I hope it's enough time!

Good luck-I'm really looking forward to our trip!
Apr 9th, 2005, 11:30 AM

I and 3 other women are going to Montreal and Quebec City in September.
We were thinking of spending 2 nights in QC and 3 nights in Montrael. Is that sufficient?? Also- what is the weather like there the middle of September. natjgc
Apr 11th, 2005, 01:59 AM

shanwake, is there a website for your montreal hotel, where is it ?
Apr 11th, 2005, 04:38 AM

Hi,

In Quebec City my aunt and I stayed at the Hotel Des Coutellier (website is http://www.hoteldescoutellier.com/introang.html). It has 24 rooms and is immediately outside the wall on a very cute street of restaurants and antique shops. We walked everywhere from there. Highly recommend it - rooms are big and comfy and they give you a nice continental breakfast in your room each morning.

Karen
Apr 12th, 2005, 07:58 PM

http://www.bbmontreal.com/welcome.htm

Hope this is helpful. I found it on bbcanada.com-had to sort through 125 listings, and found this one most to my liking. We will be staying in the cool rasberry room, since we aren't much for sharing a bathroom while on vacation!
Apr 13th, 2005, 04:42 AM

shan, the website is charming and so are the rooms; you'll be close to everything and will be amongst montrealers living their everyday life yet only a few blocks from where the action is. I think you'll like it.

I have been hearing more and more of little gems such as this one, tucked here and there in areas of mtl where you would not have a hotel chain settle in......

Let us know how it pans out; mid may is a fine time to walk the city, experiencing our first blooms.....

Apr 13th, 2005, 04:44 AM

Shanwake, both your choices look very good indeed. In fact I'm putting the Chez Taj on my list of b&b's for our next trip to Montreal. It's in a very pleasant and interesting part of the city, the neighborhood we usually stay in. As for your QC choice, again this is a nice area, a short scenic walk to the old city past the Parlament building. The only small drawback - there are a lot of restaurants and cafes outside your room, so it may be a little noisy at night.
Apr 13th, 2005, 09:39 AM

I recently stayed at the Hilton Bonnaventure in Montreal, centrally located and besides in is directly accross the street from the railway station and Montreal great metro system. You could take a train to Quebec City.

A B&B I stayed in Montreal which is appx. 2 blocks South of St. Catherine (main Street) is "Le Petit Price" The hosts are great and friendly, his breakfasts are awesome (included in price)

In Quebec City anything on Blvd. Lautier is central. There is also Lowe's le Concorde (it might be pricy) my opinion do not try their restaurant at the rotating restaurant. Bad service, LOUD, and not the rest. fault though but parents just let their kids run free.

Good Luck.
Apr 13th, 2005, 06:08 PM

Oh, I am so excited-Glad to hear I have put us in ideal locations. I tend to pick places based on their websites and pictures. Glad people are just as charmed by these places as I am!

We are going for 2 weeks on a road trip through Ontario and Quebec starting on May 4th. I will try to post as soon as possible when we get back how things went.

Wish us good luck and nice weather-it's our first real vacation as a married couple! We will be celebrating my 28th birthday and our 2nd anniversary while there, so it is a very big deal. I have tried to put us in places in downtown areas that encourage walking and enjoying the sights.
Apr 14th, 2005, 10:52 PM

In Montreal, I got US$70/night + taxes for Hyatt Regency from Priceline.com for late May 2005.

In Quebec City, I got US$60/night + taxes for Best Western Centre-Ville from Hotwire.com for early June.