Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is late Sept too late for Tofino & Telegraph Cove areas?

Jul 21st, 2004, 12:54 AM
R
Original Poster

Unfortunately, it's looking like we might not be able to make our first trip to Tofino/Telegraph Cove 'til mid-to-late Sept.
This is partly due to work...
but also, because I was really hoping we might get to see grizzlies & the operator for that appears full until late Sept.
(we don't have an option for the lodge which offers this, as you need to take a float plane to them & I can't fly in such planes for now due to health
concerns) :-\
Even if I could...the price would probably preclude that.

So, our options for seeing bears are limited. Wondering if it's MORE important to get to Vancouver Island earlier in Sept? (for better weather) If so, we could postpone the bears 'til another year. (altho' we'd prefer *not* to -- health reasons again may preclude us to see them then, esp. if major surgery is necessary later)

Saw notes here re: this being a poor year for salmon. Perhaps that also means it won't be the best year for grizzlies along the river...and also, not the best for orca outings? Please share opinions...
Could use advice/info on the latest!

Should we entirely put off this Vancouver Island trip?
Perhaps just postpone the Telegraph Cove area (if it's better mid-summer or earlier in Sept)?
Or, should we go for it?!
I know that Tofino can be dramatic in the winter w/storms & all. However,
late Sept might be before this...
and yet, too quiet as far as activities go, perhaps?

We're also torn about whether to still try & fit in a trip through the Broken Islands/Bamfield area.
Again, perhaps much better in mid-summer?
Advice most welcome! Thanks again.
Jul 21st, 2004, 05:58 AM

September is usually a lovely time of year just about anywhere I think. Tofino is still extremely busy and the plus is that there are not so many families with small children about. Tofino still has Grey Whales and the black bears are still around (no grizzlies though). It is much too early for winter storms. They usually occur between November and March.
I know many people who have done the trip out to the lodge you're talking about to view the Grizzlies and they had a wonderful time so you should keep that option open.
Jul 21st, 2004, 07:45 AM

I have been to Tofino every month of the year except December and have found it to be delightful no matter what the month. Just go! You'll love it.
Jul 21st, 2004, 09:46 AM

I agree with the previous posters-September is often the best weather of all-both 'Inside' and 'Outside' of Vancouver Island.
Keep to your original plans and you won't be disappointed-in fact you'll see more Salmon then ever jumping/returning to their natal rivers-and all that life that flows with them.
Jul 21st, 2004, 11:24 AM

Up near Telegraph Cove Killer Whales do tend to spread out a bit by late September as a general rule but there should still be lots around. Also at that time you often see hundreds of Pacific White-sided Dolphins and more sea lions near Telegraph Cove. There are also large numbers of seabirds and other waterfowl moving through then.

To get the 'best estimate' on the grizzlies I suggest you call Howard at Tide Rip. He is a straight up guy and will tell you as much as he knows.

My feeling regarding Telegraph Cove is to go ahead and have fun!

cheers

Jerry
Jul 21st, 2004, 12:18 PM
R
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your prompt & encouraging feedback.
Guess we'll go forward then, & try to make this happen. Our trip may be 2 weeks later than intended (or more) but, it sounds like it will still be well worth it.
Thanks again!!
Jul 21st, 2004, 01:22 PM

Good decision! I have to say I'm envious of you going to Tofino in September. It'll be November before I have a chance to get over there and I can hardly wait.

Have a great trip.
Jul 22nd, 2004, 12:50 AM
R
Original Poster

Thanks again! With such enthusiasm for returning to Tofino...you're getting my hopes up.

Sometimes I wonder if it will differ *that* much from Coastal Oregon & Wash. where we've vacationed a bit. (And, we vacation regularly in the San Juans & have been to the Gulf Islands too a couple of times.)
So...sometimes I wonder if the West Coast of Vancouver Island & Telegraph Cove area will strike us as significantly different or not. We need to drive *quite* a long way to reach this area...so, I'm looking forward to it being similar to these other areas we've enjoyed...and yet, somehow very unique & special on its own, as well.
Jul 22nd, 2004, 07:49 AM

Unfortunately I haven't travelled at all in Washington or Oregon, so am not sure how (or whether) Tofino differs. What attracts me to Tofino is the long, sandy beaches, in particular Long Beach and Chesterman Beach. The area is forested right up to the sand line- and then these beautiful beaches begin. The ones I've mentioned are so big that even if several hundred people are on the beach at once, it still seems empty. (We usually travel there in the off-season, so rarely see several hundred people on the beach at once!)

En route to Tofino, do stop at Radar Hill. It's just a few miles past the turn-off to Tofino at the end of Highway 4. You can't miss it. It's well-signed. From a wooden viewing platform you get a spectacular view of the ocean, and if you climb a little further up the hill (it's a very easy walk, just a few minutes up a paved path; it's wheel-chair accessible) you get an equally spectacular view of the hills and islands along the coast. It's one of my favourite spots.
Jul 22nd, 2004, 03:25 PM

You can't compare Pacific Rim National Park and Clayoquot Sound to any other region. Do you know that Clayoquot Sound (where Tofino and Pacific Rim National Park are) is a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve?